Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Hurricanes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Good players do dirty ****. It doesn't mean they aren't good players.

Get out of here. There's playing a bit dirty (cross check out of nowhere) and then there's total ***** moves (spearing a guy in the junk after instigating a conflict). He's a total *****.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Get out of here. There's playing a bit dirty (cross check out of nowhere) and then there's total ***** moves (spearing a guy in the junk after instigating a conflict). He's a total *****.

Every hockey player has speared another man in his junk. Period. I can almost say it at least happens once a game, too, but u will never notice it.

It was a dick move but Jordan is playing desperate hockey. He lashed out in frustration. It happens.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought of a weird comparison on the way home. Current Kunitz is playing almost identical to Bill Guerin when he re-signed one more year. So lazy and the legs just aren't there any more. The game passes you by in a blink of an eye. One year you are the perfect compliment and the next you can't keep up. Kunitz is at that point where he just cannot keep up.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Every hockey player has speared another man in his junk. Period. I can almost say it at least happens once a game, too, but u will never notice it.

It was a dick move but Jordan is playing desperate hockey. He lashed out in frustration. It happens.

Come off it :laugh: I've watched a lot of NHL games and I can only recall seeing that kind of deliberate shot a handful of times

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Is Simmonds healthy? That's the Flyer that has the best skillset to exploit the Pens' defense. He's always a nightmare because he's so good in front of the net.

Cole, at least Guerin's hands and hockey sense remained. Kunitz was never the most savvy player and his hands are just gone. 2010 Kunitz buries any of the 3 chances he got in ot the other night without a problem.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Crosby, abdolutely dominating.
Kessel, atta boy.
Hagelin was good, so was ian Cole.

------Horny, Kunitz lack of scoring.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I thought of a weird comparison on the way home. Current Kunitz is playing almost identical to Bill Guerin when he re-signed one more year. So lazy and the legs just aren't there any more. The game passes you by in a blink of an eye. One year you are the perfect compliment and the next you can't keep up. Kunitz is at that point where he just cannot keep up.

Kunitz reached that point last season, that's the problem. We could be seeing 3 seasons of this and we're further in. Aside from that, I'd say it's apt. Although we did see Kunitz show some old speed a few games ago...

I think with players that old and beat up they get into energy preservation mode for the playoffs. It's comically selfish and arrogant for most of them. I'd rather Kunitz be done by December than Crosby taking extra abuse while that slug saves himself for the playoffs he's hurting their chances of making where he won't be able to flip a switch.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Come off it :laugh: I've watched a lot of NHL games and I can only recall seeing that kind of deliberate shot a handful of times

It happens more than you think...and even if you haven't seen it in the NHL, believe me, like Cole said, most players have done at some point.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Missed the game due to a migraine.

Glad Sid played well. Nice to see Kessel get on the board.

Still don't think we're much of a team, and I'd rather us miss the playoffs and keep our 1st, but this was a crucial win in terms of our chances of making the post-season.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Well yeah, it´s something. But even without that goal, he would be a clear plus tonight. He WAS really good and invested out there. Need to see more of that though. Huge weekend coming up, two brutal games. We need him there and we need him playing like this.

Exactly... No one expects him to grind it out but play with some pace, hold onto pucks until an actual play can be made and play with some sense.

I would like to see him have the puck more on the PP. Every team expects Crosby and Malkin running things from the right side. Let Kessel work pucks to them and let them be the shooter.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Hopefully Kessel looks like he's fighting for a playoff spot in the next several games against better teams. I still think he can take over play when he's really on top of his game.

The praise for the younger players can't be overstated. I know many of them have skill issues, but the fact that their motors are going all-out at all times regardless of score really has made the Pens a different team.

This game is one that we've seen end up 3-1 or 4-1 Canes in the last several years - the Pens would give up after letting in two quick goals at the beginning of the game and the super-veterans would have taken the rest of the night off. That sort of thing is happening less and less, so kudos to the team for fighting rather than rolling over.

I don't think the Pens are world-beaters or anything, but it's refreshing to see that they don't give up very often.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Penguins GPG with Johnston: 2.32

Penguins GPG with Sullivan: 2.98

Yes, brings back memories of good ol' time Penguins doesn't it?

Keeping a lead & coming back like mad men is also a thing to notice.

Confidence...

...and Mullets! (that should be a PO thing just for fun)

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Kessel's entire play right before that sweet pass was great. That is what we need from him. Crosby's game was outstanding. It's so refreshing as a fan to know the team CAN come back from two goals down. They've shown this several times this winter under Sullivan, and not too many times the last several seasons. Not quite "The Cardiac Kids" we remember, but getting there.

I just can't bring myself to hope we miss the playoffs like some here. Playoff hockey is just too much fun when you're invested in a team. Being the overall favorite to win it all never worked for the Pens anyway. ('93/'96) The older I get, and the more cynical I get, erodes the fun of being a fan. Really, my biggest gripe with the NHL is the severe lack of accountability with refs. If they can fix that, and call their own rules again, then hockey will be more fun for everyone again.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I just can't bring myself to hope we miss the playoffs like some here.

Some people think a mid-round pick this year instead of next year will have a significant impact, even when stacked up against, you know, making the playoffs and not being a complete non-factor in the league for a year. I politely disagree with them.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Its odd watching a Penguins goalie, who gives up a few early goals, actually get stronger and more confident as the game goes on. I'm so use to goaltending in this city being like diarrhea. You hope it stays in, but once it don't.. you can't put it back in. You just gotta get the mop and the bucket and hope you can clean it up without throwing up.

I hope this team sticks with Murray.. but i know they won't.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
That's pretty remarkable. Unbelievable, really. How good/bad can a coach be? How about our GAA? I assume it's worse.

GAA under Johnston was 2.25; under Sulivan it's 2.42

SV% under Johnston was .924; under Sullivan it's .909
- Individually, Zatkoff's SV% under Johnston was .936 and under Sullivan is just .903; Fleury's was .927 under Johnston and is .917 under Sullivan.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The goal margin is certainly better, the win/loss results are better, the games are better (more entertaining), and the players are playing with better energy. So yeah, I prefer the new style too. In fact, I unprefer the old style a lot.

Their winning % and point % is basically identical under both coaches, actually. They were a little below Johnston's numbers, and are now a little above with the 4-game win streak -- but, basically, holding steady at what they were doing before.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Their winning % and point % is basically identical under both coaches, actually. They were a little below Johnston's numbers, and are now a little above with the 4-game win streak -- but, basically, holding steady at what they were doing before.

True but I think, if we're really being fair to Sullivan, we should probably remove his first few "transitional" games from the equation. It's hard to imagine he had much of a chance to make an imprint on the team at that point.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
This is what I was talking about with Sid & Olli...they seemed to be having a serious convo about something...

W3bEj4K.gif

7ufDLfC.gif

1whZGYd.gif

DG4pzKM.gif

"Sid, can buy me beer tonight?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad