Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Senators 1 - Hell Freezes Over . . . Sheahan Fails to Miss the Open Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's producing? Let's give it some time before we declare I'm a moron.

My point was it seems some people can't even admit Sheahan had a good game or two or it'll make them feel like they have to backtrack on their previous statements about how he's trash.

Whether or not that applies to you, I don't know. I haven't read your posts in the past two game threads on the matter.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mackey just put up an article and it said that Aston-Reese was having issues with his wisdom teeth, and once he got those removed, he started playing a lot better. Just an interesting bit I saw.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Mackey just put up an article and it said that Aston-Reese was having issues with his wisdom teeth, and once he got those removed, he started playing a lot better. Just an interesting bit I saw.

Can we start a list of all the ridiculous medical issues that plague the pens? I think this one goes up there with mumps and thyroid cancer. I think we need to start sacrificing something to someone before games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can we start a list of all the ridiculous medical issues that plague the pens? I think this one goes up there with mumps and thyroid cancer. I think we need to start sacrificing something to someone before games.

Eh wisdom teeth being an issue really isn't something that's a ridiculous medical issue. It's something that a lot of people deal with, so it's not surprising that a hockey player was dealing with it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean no discredit to his game by any means the last couple. He's a good solid part of that awesome 3rd line. From watching him in Detroit and getting my assessment of him in Pittsburgh, I weirdly think one of his weaknesses is flat out finishing the play. Whether it's strength, endurance, or whatever... he gets weak towards the end of the play. I see it when he has a chance to score and a few times where he is in open ice and just can't quite make the play that is there. And it's really strange because he is really solid around the boards, which is the hardest part to play. It's really strange to me.

But yeah he deserves credit where it's due. I don't think he's the answer at 3C, but if he keeps this up he damn sure if filling a void for the time being very well.

Ya probably a fair assessment.

We'll see if he can start scoring, but at least he's making a positive contribution right now.

Sheahan is vanilla just like the center of an Oreo.

As long as he helps that line keep rolling, he can be vanilla whatever. It's not like JR is unaware he needs to score, since he flat out said, he uh, needs to score.

So the give and go to Horny where he slid the puck between the defender's legs wasn't playmaking?
He set up both guys in various points last night, neither winger finished. I'm not sure what you guys are expecting here, but it's bordering on unrealistic

Ya, anyone who hasn't seen the playmaking he's done, well, let's just say lots of people don't understand what they are watching... I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We're not discussing the EN goal here- try to keep up. There's been plenty of discussion of the screen he had on the first point shot/goal. There's been discussion about his board work. There's been discussion about the Horny bank play, which he forced.

Has Sheahan been all world or driving the play? No. But he's not a passenger and he's doing the little things that make his linemates better. He's doing the grunt work on the PK- he's taking defensive draws
He hasn't been atrocious nor has he lit the world on fire. His "last 10 poor performances" are a bit of hyperbole

The “screen” eerily reminds me of when Tangradi screened a goal, in the Tampa series, we lost and people were ready to call him Kevin Stevens 2.0

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If it’s supposed to be such a good draft I’d really like to keep the 1st. For someone like haula if it’s was an absolute must then I’d bite the bullet but if it’s a good enough pick they could be contributing in the window.
But wait, and hear me out on this, maybe we can trade a prospect and our 1st for a 4th liner (and a 2nd) that's the antithesis of Penguins hockey that's going to play ~8 min. a night and hover around 10pts for the season...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anyone who thinks Sheahan - who has surpassed 12 EV assists in a season precisely once in his career - possesses playmaking skills is being extremely optimistic in their evaluation, to be diplomatic.

To put that in context, Hagelin had 15 in 61 games last year.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Anyone who thinks Sheahan - who has surpassed 12 EV assists in a season precisely once in his career - possesses playmaking skills is being extremely optimistic in their evaluation, to be diplomatic.

To put that in context, Hagelin had 15 in 61 games last year.

That's being a bit disengenous to make a point, WC. Sheahan had 12 ES assists in 42 games, then followed it up with 17 the following season.

Doesn't make him Joe Thornton/Henrik Sedin by any means, but it's also omitting the fact that one of those years he only played 42 games and would have surpassed "12 EV assists in a season" if he'd played 82.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's being a bit disengenous to make a point, WC. Sheahan had 12 ES assists in 42 games, then followed it up with 17 the following season.

Doesn't make him Joe Thornton/Henrik Sedin by any means, but it's also omitting the fact that one of those years he only played 42 games and would have surpassed "12 EV assists in a season" if he'd played 82.

Sure. But that was 4 years ago.

The last 2 years, Sheahan has put up 10 and 9 EV assists respectively, and in '15-'16 Nyqvist and Tatar were his most common linemates. Kuhnhackl - often skewered here for his lack of offense - put up 10 EV assists in 42 games in '15-'16 and 11 in 57 games last year!

As he's a Pen now I want him to succeed as much as anybody, but I just don't see this playmaking skill that hasn't been manifested in any tangible way for at least 2 full seasons.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

People have their agendas and see what they want, and you already hit the nail on the head as to why.

Sheahan is definitely doing everything you want from a third line pivot, but if he doesn't start finishing it's a problem. That line is doing well, and JR said he expects more production from Sheahan, so I fail to see why anyone would be upset about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad