Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Senators 1 - Hell Freezes Over . . . Sheahan Fails to Miss the Open Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
With that comment, and I think our window is more open than people realize, I assume you would risk moving Sprong? Because I'm not. Bengs/Sprong are off limits 100%. That'd be the sacrifice to grab an all-in move.

Now our first... **** that. I'll gladly move it.

If it’s supposed to be such a good draft I’d really like to keep the 1st. For someone like haula if it’s was an absolute must then I’d bite the bullet but if it’s a good enough pick they could be contributing in the window.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I freaking LOVE Oreos.. but I work out and try to live a healthy lifestyle, so the thins are my treat every now and again. I actually love Golden Oreos. So i'll have one oreo thin as a treat here and there. I could probably eat a sleeve of oreos if i didn't care. :laugh:

I'm disappointed they no longer make the Golden Oreos with the Chocolate Filling anymore.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
With that comment, and I think our window is more open than people realize, I assume you would risk moving Sprong? Because I'm not. Bengs/Sprong are off limits 100%. That'd be the sacrifice to grab an all-in move.

Now our first... **** that. I'll gladly move it.

I wouldn't move Sprong, I would play him in the top 6 with limited minutes. I would then move Rust to the bottom 6 (playing the tough minutes on Sid's line when needed). So that's one bottom six player taken care of.

Our 1st and any other prospects for the third line center? F yeah my man!

A spare defender can be had for a 3rd or a 4th

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong (offensive situations)/Rust (defensive zone starts, when we lead in the third)
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Third Line Center - Hornqvist
McKegg - Sheahan - Rust (most shifts)/Sprong (from time to time to keep his minutes up)

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Hunwick - Cole
SPARE

Murray
Jarry

That's a VERY strong team IMO. Well, given that Sid gets his head off his ass.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And since this thread is coming to a close soon, I need to make a comment on Oreos. I would say the best oreos of all time have to be a heads or tail double stuffed Oreo. In a dream world where calories didn't mater, I'd eat them all day. Sometimes I want a golden oreo. Sometimes I want the traditional. And the fact you could make a quadruple stuffed oreo golden or regular in one package... good lawd.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yup I agree but I do have to give him credit for 2 solid games in a row. That Horny goal happens in part because of a great screen. The empty net goal is cool just to say he scored, but I thought he was solid tonight. That's not going to mean much though as soon as Sheary/Horny cool off which they will. Still think they need a better 3C unless he starts driving play and finishing more than 3 times in 100 games.

He has been solid enough not to hold the other two back offensively over the last 2 games. It's an improvement, at the very least.

So the give and go to Horny where he slid the puck between the defender's legs wasn't playmaking?
He set up both guys in various points last night, neither winger finished. I'm not sure what you guys are expecting here, but it's bordering on unrealistic

Not nearly enough to make me think he's a viable 3C candidate, no. We should ride this Sheary/Hornqvist wave as long as we can though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And since this thread is coming to a close soon, I need to make a comment on Oreos. I would say the best oreos of all time have to be a heads or tail double stuffed Oreo. In a dream world where calories didn't mater, I'd eat them all day. Sometimes I want a golden oreo. Sometimes I want the traditional. And the fact you could make a quadruple stuffed oreo golden or regular in one package... good lawd.

Original oreos all day for me. Perfect balance.

Reactions: ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
On Sheahan, people realize, right, that in last few games Sully has been double-shifting Sid in his place at times. He's improved and does a lot of things well, but I think even Sully sees that the third line offense still needs help.....

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
There is nowhere near enough lard in original Oreos. Frankly, I find it outrageous to suggest that such an insubstantial serving of lard represents the perfect balance. That's like saying Riley Sheahan is the perfect third line center. Harumph.

Reactions: ColePens

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There is nowhere near enough lard in original Oreos. Frankly, I find it outrageous to suggest that such an insubstantial serving of lard represents the perfect balance. That's like saying Riley Sheahan is the perfect third line center. Harumph.

That's not to say I eat less lard. I just eat more Oreos.

Reactions: Brandinho

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If calories didn’t exist and it had no impact on my health I would eat so much shit. Oreos wouldn’t even be the top 20.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
WC has NEVER treated Sheahan fairly, he has disliked him ever since before he came here. It should be of absolutely no surprise he's the one talking down on him right now, he just doesn't like the guy.

Want to know Bonino's production in his first 12 games with Pittsburgh? 2 goals and 3 points (he was at 4 points in his first 12 games in 2016-2017, too). Sheahan is at 1 goal and 3 points in 12 games.

Sheahan is playing very well defensively, winning a lot of faceoff, taking a ton of defensive zone draws and engaging in the dirty work for a 3rd line that is working right now. I genuinely don't know why people are complaining about him right now.

One of his points was a phantom assist on Hornqvist's bank-shot goal and the other was the gift-wrapped empty net goal. I'm gonna have to pump the brakes on expectations of him even being a 20-point forward. Of course, he's now playing with the two top-6 forwards so perhaps he'll have a puck bounce off of him here & there?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One of his points was a phantom assist on Hornqvist's bank-shot goal and the other was the gift-wrapped empty net goal. I'm gonna have to pump the brakes on expectations of him even being a 20-point forward. Of course, he's now playing with the two top-6 forwards so perhaps he'll have a puck bounce off of him here & there?

How was his assist on Hornqvist's goal a phantom assist?

He clearly intercepts the puck from Lehner and it goes to Hornqvist, who banks it in the net. It was clearly a legitimate assist, I don't know why you're trying to say it's a phantom assist. And who's pumping him up to have some sort of asinine offensive potential here anyway? You're arguing against ghosts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With Sheary correcting the pronunciation of his name, perhaps Sheahan's name is being mispronounced as well. I hear it's actually Shoo-hen.

I may or may not be making that up.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Wow...can people give Sheahan any LESS credit for ANYTHING he does?
Again not a member of the RS fanclub but every turn people are discrediting him. Like what's the hidden agenda here? I don't get it...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wow...can people give Sheahan any LESS credit for ANYTHING he does?
Again not a member of the RS fanclub but every turn people are discrediting him. Like what's the hidden agenda here? I don't get it...

The agenda seems to be that a lot of folks insisted Sheahan absolutely sucks. So if he starts to actually contribute and play well, that means them writing him off right away makes them look a little foolish.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The guy scores one empty net goal and many just forget his last 10 poor performance. You won’t see an easier goal than the one he scored, even for empty net standards.

Let’s keep it in prospective. I hope he builds off of it but let’s not have a selective memory here after he scored one goal many of us could score.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So the give and go to Horny where he slid the puck between the defender's legs wasn't playmaking?
He set up both guys in various points last night, neither winger finished. I'm not sure what you guys are expecting here, but it's bordering on unrealistic

Bordering on unrealistic? Seriously? My goodness that's absurd.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The agenda seems to be that a lot of folks insisted Sheahan absolutely sucks. So if he starts to actually contribute and play well, that means them writing him off right away makes them look a little foolish.

He's producing? Let's give it some time before we declare I'm a moron.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The guy scores one empty net goal and many just forget his last 10 poor performance. You won’t see an easier goal than the one he scored, even for empty net standards.

Let’s keep it in prospective. I hope he builds off of it but let’s not have a selective memory here after he scored one goal many of us could score.

We're not discussing the EN goal here- try to keep up. There's been plenty of discussion of the screen he had on the first point shot/goal. There's been discussion about his board work. There's been discussion about the Horny bank play, which he forced.

Has Sheahan been all world or driving the play? No. But he's not a passenger and he's doing the little things that make his linemates better. He's doing the grunt work on the PK- he's taking defensive draws
He hasn't been atrocious nor has he lit the world on fire. His "last 10 poor performances" are a bit of hyperbole

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Many disagree with you this last 10 performances were poor. Plenty think he was defensively solid, offensively null, and wouldn't consider that poor - merely in need of an added offensive touch, which he is at least now definitely capable of.

Time to wait and see whether its a flash in the pan or not.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe 2 games with hot linemates, where Sheahan's production consisted of an assist where the puck bounced off his skate to Hornqvist and an empty net goal, should be taken in context and with a grain of salt.

It's nice to see the line clicking well and all, but so far that's about all it is. I hope it continues as much as anyone, but the sample size is tiny and dubious.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It's really weird, you see posts like "Sheahan sucks defensively" or "Sheahan is horrible on faceoffs" and they're all just completely wrong. Sheahan so far in Pittsburgh has a 1.6 GA/60, 52.02 CA/60 (that is a very good CA/60, especially for someone who's starting in the defensive zone as much as Sheahan has) and has won 53.5% of his faceoffs while getting ridiculously heavy defensive zone starts (64% defensive zone starts) and nearly 3 minutes a night on the PK. He has been great defensively so far, but people still say stuff like "he sucks on faceoffs" and "he's horrible on the PK".

The issue Sheahan has had so far in Pittsburgh is that they haven't generated enough shots on net at ES with the 3rd line, but that has been different since Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist became a line. It is just a small sample size, but Sheahan's CF% is at 62.9% and his CF/60 is at 59.1 while getting ridiculous defensive zone starts (71.0% defensive zone starts). It remains to be seen whether that line can continue being effective, but it has worked really well both offensively and defensively (only 34.8 CA/60, which is downright insane) in the 3 games it has been together.

My only complaint with Sheahan so far this year is that he needs to shoot the puck more, that's really it. Sheahan has 13 shots and 26 shot attempts in 12 games with the Penguins, which just isn't nearly enough. You don't need to be Kessel out there, but he needs to just start throwing it on net more. I've noticed he's tentative with his shot, which is to be expected when he has scored as few goals as he has in the last year. In his best goalscoring season, he had 220 shot attempts in 79 games. He needs to be closer to than, not where he's at now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad