Prospect Info: Penguins #3 prospect

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sundqvist, because of how close he is to NHL-ready, and his size/snarl is something we're wholly lacking.

The list gets pretty **** from here on out though. Like, real ******.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Sundqvist, because of how close he is to NHL-ready, and his size/snarl is something we're wholly lacking.

The list gets pretty **** from here on out though. Like, real ******.

Surely you mean like after Oskar & Dumoulin, yes?

But yeah the rest are pretty much longshot or sleepers.

Kinda like Sheary's chances though, like a good Jack in the box thingy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Surely you mean like after Oskar & Dumoulin, yes?

But yeah the rest are pretty much longshot or sleepers.

Kinda like Sheary's chances though, like a good Jack in the box thingy.

Yeah, after Sundqvist. I know it's not exactly popular opinion, but I don't see Dumo being anything more than a run of the mill bottom pairing defenseman--probably borderline NHLer. I get the feeling that he's going to spend more time in the AHL rather than the NHL over his career. I hope I'm wrong, I just don't get the "This kid could be something" feeling when I watch him. Not even in flashes.

I like Sundqvist because of what he brings. This team's had a noticeable lack of size and snarl for far too long, and while he may or may not be ready for full-time NHL duty this season, we don't really have very much else in the Sundqvist mold who project to be legitimate NHL talent. Admittedly, I haven't seen a ton of Sundqvist's play, but I'd be happy if he developed into a solid, physical, possession-type of 3rd liner. I don't care if he exceeds expectations and makes an impact in the top six, but if he does that's awesome. Doubtful, but again, I'd be happy with a big 3rd liner that the opposition hates playing against.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Well, you seem to base our ranking on our needs, seems to me Dumo would be up there in your POV if you didn't downplay his potential that much.

This said, i hesitated for a really long time between him & Sundy, i could easily be wrong & there is nothing wrong with that. This, imo, will be the closest call of them all.

p.s. We have yet to see Sundy on a NHL roster & Dumo is still a young D, they take longer to develop.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Well, you seem to base our ranking on our needs, seems to me Dumo would be up there in your POV if you didn't downplay his potential that much.

This said, i hesitated for a really long time between him & Sundy, i could easily be wrong & there is nothing wrong with that. This, imo, will be the closest call of them all.

p.s. We have yet to see Sundy on a NHL roster & Dumo is still a young D, they take longer to develop.

The only reason we saw Dumoulin in the NHL was because we traded a kid who is gonna be a top 4 D-man for years to come, and we had injuries to 5(?) of our top 6 defensemen.

I dunno. I hope I'm wrong about Dumoulin, but all I expect is for him to be a borderline NHLer, and bottom pairing guy at best. Not that I see Sundqvist being an all-world player, but I like what he brings and I think he could be a good 3rd liner for us.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The only reason we saw Dumoulin in the NHL was because we traded a kid who is gonna be a top 4 D-man for years to come, and we had injuries to 5(?) of our top 6 defensemen.

I dunno. I hope I'm wrong about Dumoulin, but all I expect is for him to be a borderline NHLer, and bottom pairing guy at best. Not that I see Sundqvist being an all-world player, but I like what he brings and I think he could be a good 3rd liner for us.

I really think you're under-selling Dumoulin. I genuinely believe that, but I also hope that's not the case, because if we traded guys who had top-4 upside (Harry, Despres) for a guy who the team didn't believe had top-4 upside, then that's just lunacy. I hope at least the Pens believe that Dumo will be an eventual top-4+ Dman.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The top five looks like it's going to be Murray, Sprong, Dumoulin/Sundqvist, and then probably Jarry. It's pretty depressing that a]that's the top-5 prospects and b]there's pretty much nothing after those 5 that's even close to a lock to be an NHLer, let alone an impact NHLer.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The top five looks like it's going to be Murray, Sprong, Dumoulin/Sundqvist, and then probably Jarry. It's pretty depressing that a]that's the top-5 prospects and b]there's pretty much nothing after those 5 that's even close to a lock to be an NHLer, let alone an impact NHLer.

I personally have both Wilson and Rust ahead of Jarry right now. With a strong camp, Simon could vault himself ahead for the time being, as well.

It's really sad to think we could have a guy like Madison Bowey and Olivier Bjorkstrand (who I was very high on before the 2013 draft and thought the Pens would take him in round 2 and then 3 for sure) instead of Jarry. But at the time, we had no indication that Murray would be this good. Heck, we could have taken Comrie who is better if we didn't trade our 3rd to move up.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Coach you are wrong about Dumo and you will be proven wron this season.

Hope so, I just don't see Dumoulin as being anything more than a bottom pairing guy who is a borderline NHLer.

The fact that we don't have anyone who is capable of legitimate 2nd pairing minutes and responsibility helps Dumo get a long look this season though.

Again, hope I'm wrong. Just my gut feeling.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I personally have both Wilson and Rust ahead of Jarry right now. With a strong camp, Simon could vault himself ahead for the time being, as well.

It's really sad to think we could have a guy like Madison Bowey and Olivier Bjorkstrand (who I was very high on before the 2013 draft and thought the Pens would take him in round 2 and then 3 for sure) instead of Jarry. But at the time, we had no indication that Murray would be this good. Heck, we could have taken Comrie who is better if we didn't trade our 3rd to move up.
Comrie was more hyped at the time and has been the better one so far as well.Shero being Shero.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I would take Conor Sheary over 3/4 of the current list.

Easily. He's a friggin' wild card.

andyrama_print_wildcard.jpg

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Voted for Sundqvist, as I think he does have top6 potential, even if it is more likely he becomes a 3C. As I have said before, I don't see much in Dumoulin. Sure bet to be a 5/6 D? Sure, but I just dont see anything to make me think he can be a good top4 D.

That said, he does get my vote in the next poll.

Add Sheary, if he counts as a prospect.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Comrie was more hyped at the time and has been the better one so far as well.Shero being Shero.

I criticized the Penguins a lot over years passed about them not being more aggressive to trade up when they see a player they like, nor trade down for strategic reasons to try to get more picks. So when they finally traded up to get Jarry, I was somewhat pleased that they were, for once, showing some balls.

That said, you have to manage your assets, and when you've traded away as many picks as the Pens have, it may not be the best idea to trade up, particularly in a really deep draft, and particularly when you're not targeting your biggest need (forward). They could have also, for example, targeted one of Jarry/Comrie and waited until one was picked before trading up. If they did that, they may not have had to trade up at all, or maybe they could have traded up later in the 2nd round and not have to give up our 3rd. Just a thought...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad