Prospect Info: Penguins #3 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Sprong wins the 3-way battle for second place, and thus takes over Kapanen's spot in this regard as well. Added Scott Wilson. I've decided not to consider Plotnikov as he's 25 and has six KHL seasons under his belt.

2015 poll results:
#1 Matt Murray (54.48%)
#2 Daniel Sprong (40.14%)

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Dumoulin. He has a higher probability of being a top-4 D than Sundqvist does of being a top-6 fwd, in my opinion.

I voted Dumoulin but Sundqvist is expected to be a good, maybe very good 3rd liner. I'm still not sold out on Dumo going top 4 but i believe he can.

Really, a toss up between them.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I voted for Sundqvist, and I voted for him in the last poll, too. I understand the thought process behind voting for Dumoulin, but I think it comes down to what you value.

I think Dumo will be a solid, but unspectacular 4/5. Meanwhile I see Sundqvist as a strong 3C that brings good two-way play and a level of physicality that we need. Personally I value the latter over the former.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I voted for Sundqvist, and I voted for him in the last poll, too. I understand the thought process behind voting for Dumoulin, but I think it comes down to what you value.

I think Dumo will be a solid, but unspectacular 4/5. Meanwhile I see Sundqvist as a strong 3C that brings good two-way play and a level of physicality that we need. Personally I value the latter over the former.

It's so close that maybe it all comes down to what we need the most.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I think that's fair even if I disagree. I still think Dumo has 3/4 upside, but he likely will be a 4/5. That said, Sundqvist COULD be a strong 3C. He could also be a decent bottom 6er.

If Sundqvist hits his upside and Dumo doesn't, then yeah Sundqvist is more valuable. If neither do, I choose Dumo. Given age and NA game experience, I choose Dumo.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dumoulin. He has a higher probability of being a top-4 D than Sundqvist does of being a top-6 fwd, in my opinion.

Exactly. Top 4 for sure, IMO, with perhaps upside to become a #2/3 down the road. Sunny probably tops out as a 3rd line guy.

It seems like Dumo's stock has fallen around here (or maybe it wasn't high to begin with).

He's always been underrated, but it's even more surprising now given the other D that are gone who have overshadowed him in the eyes of fans in the past.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I believe Dumoulin isn't really a "prospect" anymore. So I went with Sundqvist.

Can't wait til Zlobin claims top 6 time in 2 yrs...then where will you all be?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Exactly. Top 4 for sure, IMO, with perhaps upside to become a #2/3 down the road. Sunny probably tops out as a 3rd line guy.

He's always been underrated, but it's even more surprising now given the other D that are gone who have overshadowed him in the eyes of fans in the past.

People don't watch him play and he doesn't play a style that lends itself to YouTube highlights.

Here's to hoping he opens some eyes this year.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Dumoulin and Sundqvist are fairly similar. Dumoulin's likely to be somewhere around a 4/5 defenseman, and Sundqvist is likely to be a 3rd/4th line center. The difference for me is that Dumoulin already has NHL time under his belt (including playoff games), so his floor has already been shown to be higher. Sundqvist might potentially have a higher ceiling, but his floor might be lower. There's just more uncertainty involved with him.

Really, though, either one could be ranked here just as easily. Once this poll ends, the number 4 is likely to be incredibly obvious.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Still feels so weird to have Dumo and not DP. DP was at prospect camp for goodness' sakes.

Anyways; I voted Sundqvist. Add Sheary (if he counts)

It's crazy how close 1-4 are. Complete toss up. Fifth spot should clearly be Jarry's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad