Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
In his defense it is weird to say zegras is a 60-80 point player potentially, when his full season average is 63… and is kinda devaluing zegras by saying he can be a 60 point player when he’s already that. I’d say with comfort zegeas is an 80 point potential player

Idk what newhooks potential is, he’s still young but he was moved cause he wasnt panning out in Colorado…. But his career high points is 34…. Sure he was at a 50 point pace this year, but it’s a bit dangerous to use pacing.

Remember all the talks about cole caufields pace? He was basically a lock for 40 goals + 82 points under MSL.

I don’t think newhook is someone that moves the needle for zegras
To be fair, he had a shooting% of 8.9 this year coming from a shoulder surgery. Having the same %of last year, he would be in the 50+ range. Every metric show that with is play, 40 goal should be easy doable. But for Newhook, we should be happy to see him with 50pts. A doubt he can get more but everything is possible. He can't be the center piece in a Zegras trade

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To be fair, he had a shooting% of 8.9 this year coming from a shoulder surgery. Having the same %of last year, he would be in the 50+ range. Every metric show that with is play, 40 goal should be easy doable. But for Newhook, we should be happy to see him with 50pts. A doubt he can get more but everything is possible. He can't be the center piece in a Zegras trade
Ya that wasn’t meant as trashing caufield…. Just that pace doesn’t always equal reality.

And honestly I just don’t see it in newhook…. I think he’ll be a good 3rd liner…. But I think I’d he’s a long term player on 2nd line, your roster prob isn’t great

Reactions: bud12

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody is devaluing Newhook. They just aren’t buying your overinflated value that he’s never reached. He currently does not come close to comparing equally with Z. Your belief that he might one day be a 60 point player is 100% meaningless in a trade. The two aren’t close in value today, and that’s what trades are based on.

Having to explain this is what I dislike about HF.

Newhook reaching 50-60 pts is not over inflated value. Having to explain this is what I dislike about HF.

Let me get this straight. Newhook can't reach 50-60 but Zegras is a sure shot 80 pts guy? Zegras is allowed to improve but Newhook is not? Sure buddy.

Not trying to push that trade idea but some of you need to let it go on the Newhook devalue. Just say no to the trade idea and move on. Stop spending your energy devaluing a player you declined.

Reactions: alasania94

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya that wasn’t meant as trashing caufield…. Just that pace doesn’t always equal reality.

And honestly I just don’t see it in newhook…. I think he’ll be a good 3rd liner…. But I think I’d he’s a long term player on 2nd line, your roster prob isn’t great

Newhook is a middle 6F type. 2nd or 3rd line depending on team fit. Zegras is a top 6F and could be top line depending on team fit. If Newhook is on the 3rd line, that means the top 6 ahead of him are very good. Good situation and I'm sure you get the point. Some of you need a reality check on the definitive line you create from top 6 to bottom 6. A lot of players overlap the 2nd/3rd line in quality. They are a ton of players in the NHL like that.

Newhook also has an injury plagued season but he showed a lot of potential in the games he played. I doubt you watched many Habs games to know this. What's funny is how the Ducks fans are allowed to defend Zegras as a 60-80+ forward and Habs fans are not allowed to defend Newhook's potential growth. You say others don't know what is really happening with Zegras and the media reports are false but then you flip the script when it comes to players on other teams. Not all of you but some of you are hypocrites.

Reactions: alasania94

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Newhook is a middle 6F type. 2nd or 3rd line depending on team fit. Zegras is a top 6F and could be top line depending on team fit. If Newhook is on the 3rd line, that means the top 6 ahead of him are very good. Good situation and I'm sure you get the point. Some of you need a reality check on the definitive line you create from top 6 to bottom 6. A lot of players overlap the 2nd/3rd line in quality. They are a ton of players in the NHL like that.

Newhook also has an injury plagued season but he showed a lot of potential in the games he played. I doubt you watched many Habs games to know this. What's funny is how the Ducks fans are allowed to defend Zegras as a 60-80+ forward and Habs fans are not allowed to defend Newhook's potential growth. You say others don't know what is really happening with Zegras and the media reports are false but then you flip the script when it comes to players on other teams. Not all of you but some of you are hypocrites.

Because zegras is already a 60+ point player on his ELC…. It’s not something that we have to defend it literally already exist.

I think you might be the one that needs the reality check.

Newhook has a career high of 34 points, there’s your reality check. Newhook won’t be a main piece in a zegras move, nor would the ducks have any interest in him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In his defense it is weird to say zegras is a 60-80 point player potentially, when his full season average is 63… and is kinda devaluing zegras by saying he can be a 60 point player when he’s already that. I’d say with comfort zegeas is an 80 point potential player

Idk what newhooks potential is, he’s still young but he was moved cause he wasnt panning out in Colorado…. But his career high points is 34…. Sure he was at a 50 point pace this year, but it’s a bit dangerous to use pacing.

Remember all the talks about cole caufields pace? He was basically a lock for 40 goals + 82 points under MSL.

I don’t think newhook is someone that moves the needle for zegras

It's only weird if you miss comprehend. Zegras'S potential IF he reaches his ceiling is 60-80 and maybe he does get a few 80+ seasons.

That's not saying HE IS A 60-80 PLAYER TODAY.

You're getting sensitive now bud. There is nothing wrong with saying Newhook can be a 50-60 pts player and Zegras can be a 60-80 pts guy in their prime years. What are you trying to say? The gap should be larger? Come on man, give me a break. I'm very aware as many others are, what they have done so far. Trying to tell me or others make me think you are a teenager trying to educate others on something they already know.

Because zegras is already a 60+ point player on his ELC…. It’s not something that we have to defend it literally already exist.

I think you might be the one that needs the reality check.

Newhook has a career high of 34 points, there’s your reality check. Newhook won’t be a main piece in a zegras move, nor would the ducks have any interest in him.

What they are today vs what they can be. You're getting very confused and sensitive now. And for the record, I am saying Zegras is a future 60-80 pts guy. You reply back with he is a 60+ player today and try to create an argument. Sure buddy

Oh, BTW, if you want to get all sticky with stupid stuff... Zegras's career average so far is 0.73 pts/game over 211 games. That prorates to 60 pts (59.86). So your 60+ is not correct. It's 60 bang on. See how annoying this is?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ohcomeonref

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's only weird if you miss comprehend. Zegras'S potential IF he reaches his ceiling is 60-80 and maybe he does get a few 80+ seasons.

That's not saying HE IS A 60-80 PLAYER TODAY.

You're getting sensitive now bud. There is nothing wrong with saying Newhook can be a 50-60 pts player and Zegras can be a 60-80 pts guy in their prime years. What are you trying to say? The gap should be larger? Come on man, give me a break. I'm very aware as many others are, what they have done so far. Trying to tell me or others make me think you are a teenager trying to educate others on something they already know.

What they are today vs what they can be. You're getting very confused and sensitive now. And for the record, I am saying Zegras is a future 60-80 pts guy. You reply back with he is a 60+ player today and try to create an argument. Sure buddy

Oh, BTW, if you want to get all sticky with stupid stuff... Zegras's career average so far is 0.73 pts/game over 211 games. That prorates to 60 pts (59.86). So your 60+ is not correct. It's 60 bang on. See how annoying this is?

Sensitive about what, we’re having a discussion?

And yet zegras has a 61 and 65 point season, that’s basically his floor…. How can you say his floor is his ceiling? So his floor is 60…. How could his potential be 60-80 when he’s already showed he can hit 60 with minimal help?

70-90 seems like his potential

On the plus side newhooks career ppg is .46 which is a 38 point per season…. Which is 3rd liner

You’re claiming he’s a potential 60 point player…. So you are able to boost his stats, but zegras potential stays potentially the same.

It’s not comprehension my friend, it’s how you are wording things

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

At this stage, nobody is trying to push the Newhook, Jets 1st, and one of Barron/Mesar trade idea.

All the talk you see lately is Ducks fans devaluing Newhook... after we all have tried to moved on from it. Newhook definitely has 50 pts in him in his prime. People need to chill

Keeps getting bumped forward and it's distracting. I blame the nit pick style fans for that. They want to decline the trade idea but trash Newhook at the same process. Not saying you are doing that but some are. It's like they want the gap to be monstrous and only then, they are happy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At this stage, nobody is trying to push the Newhook, Jets 1st, and one of Barron/Mesar trade idea.

All the talk you see lately is Ducks fans devaluing Newhook... after we all have tried to moved on from it. Newhook definitely has 50 pts in him in his prime. People need to chill

Keeps getting bumped forward and it's distracting. I blame the nit pick style fans for that. They want to decline the trade idea but trash Newhook at the same process. Not saying you are doing that but some are. It's like they want the gap to be monstrous and only then, they are happy
No need to be sensitive because duck fans have 0 interest in newhook buddy

Was just a friendly discussion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sensitive about what, we’re having a discussion?

And yet zegras has a 61 and 65 point season, that’s basically his floor…. How can you say his floor is his ceiling?

On the plus side newhooks career ppg is .46 which is a 38 point per season…. Which is 3rd liner

You're getting sensitive because you nit picked me saying Zegras is a 60-80 future player and your reply is he is a 60+ player today. Today, he is a 60 pts player. That's his career averages and that's what I use.

Newhook's career average is 0.47/game. Correct. He just had a season with 34 pts in 55 games and is an improving player as he heads towards his prime. That's something you are ignoring. Career average being 38/82 games but just put up 34 in 55. Weird eh for a young player? Must have been a fluke even during an injury season for him to be able to do that.

Both players had injuries this season (Zegras with more). What's up with Zegras this past year? 15 pts in 31 games? That's Newhook territory bud? Is Zegras declining before his prime? See how stupid this stuff is? I wasn't going to mentioned it but since you are acting sensitive, I'll play

No need to be sensitive because duck fans have 0 interest in newhook buddy

We already know this. Where have you been? Oh wait, you have been to busy debating 60+ vs 60-80 for Zegras and spending your energy caping Newhook's potential growth.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You're getting sensitive because you nit picked me saying Zegras is a 60-80 future player and your reply is he is a 60+ player today. Today, he is a 60 pts player. That's his career averages and that's what I use.

Newhook's career average is 0.47/game. Correct. He just had a season with 34 pts in 55 games and is an improving player as he heads towards his prime. That's something you are ignoring. Career average being 38/82 games but just put up 34 in 55. Weird eh for a young player?

Both players had injuries this season (Zegras with more). What's up with Zegras this past year? 15 pts in 31 games? That's Newhook territory bud? Is Zegras declining before his prime? See how stupid this stuff is? I wasn't going to mentioned it but since you are acting sensitive, I'll play

We already know this. Where have you been?

Yep zegras is declining, not sure why Montreal would want him

Newhook's career average is 0.47/game. Correct. He just had a season with 34 pts in 55 games and is an improving player as he heads towards his prime. That's something you are ignoring. Career average being 38/82 games but just put up 34 in 55. Weird eh for a young player? Must have been a fluke even during an injury season for him to be able to do that.

We already know this. Where have you been? Oh wait, you have been to busy debating 60+ vs 60-80 for Zegras and spending your energy caping Newhook's potential growth.
I literally have defended newhooks growth, all I’m saying is if newhook can grow so can zegras…. So why even throw 60 in there in the first place?

Why not just admit you used the word potentially wrong and admit that you should have started at 70+ rather than 60 to try to make the gap smaller in newhooks facor

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep zegras is declining, not sure why Montreal would want him

Lesson learned is your faith in Zegras's growth should not come at the cost of Newhook's growth as also a young player improving.

Even after we all agreed that the trade package idea would not work. So many can learn this but I don't have faith they will.

• Haha
Reactions: ohcomeonref

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
We can all agree Anaheim need a high quality piece if Zegras is involved in a trade. Newhook or win 1st are not bad but not high quality. Mtl have those piece but would probably not deal them. Just not a good fit for both team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I literally have defended newhooks growth, all I’m saying is if newhook can grow so can zegras…. So why even throw 60 in there in the first place?

Why not just admit you used the word potentially wrong and admit that you should have started at 70+ rather than 60 to try to make the gap smaller in newhooks facor

LOL. You have not defended Newhook's growth. You capped it to where he is today with his career averages. Called him a 3rd liner when he really is a middle 6F type.

OK, so now you are saying I should have said 70+ vs 60-80 with Zegras? :biglaugh:

I stand firm. You're being sensitive on miniscule stuff... after we agreed the trade package would not work. That's makes is worse for you bud

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
LOL. You have not defended Newhook's growth. You capped it to where he is today with his career averages. Called him a 3rd liner when he really is a middle 6F type.

OK, so now you are saying I should have said 70+ vs 60-80 with Zegras? :biglaugh:
I said he’ll be a good 3rd liner, which he will be.

Maybe your intention wasn’t to devalue zegras potential…. But that’s the way it came off using 60 when he’s already achieved that in both seasons he played the whole year.

I’ll give you the benefit, and maybe it wasn’t intentional.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I said he’ll be a good 3rd liner, which he will be.

Yes, I don’t see what you are getting…. Maybe your intention wasn’t to devalue zegras potential…. But that’s the way it came off using 60 when he’s already achieved that in both seasons he played the whole year.

I’ll give you the benefit, and maybe it wasn’t intentional.

Just move on. We agreed earlier yesterday that the trade package won't work. All this noise is debating 10 pts (+/-) in the gap.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Zegras is IMO the most important forward on the Ducks moving forward. I think the energy and skill he brings to the lineup is unparalleled on the team. Other forwards like Carlsson, Cutter and MacT may out produce him points wise, but you can always notice a difference when Z is in the lineup verse when he isn’t and you can’t really say that about the other forwards.

Reactions: Boo Boo

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Just move on. We agreed earlier yesterday that the trade package won't work. All this noise is debating 10 pts (+/-) in the gap.

The thing is you're calling it 10 points of difference, when one player's production is completely hypothetical, and the reality has been a difference of 30. That's like Ducks fans saying Zegras with his 80 point ceiling is only 10 points different than Stutzle.

And since Zegras tracks very closely with Nylander at the same age ... Why wouldn't his high end projection be 90+ then? Would you compare that hypothetical projection to Newhook's actual production? Course not.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing is you're calling it 10 points of difference, when one player's production is completely hypothetical, and the reality has been a difference of 30. That's like Ducks fans saying Zegras with his 80 point ceiling is only 10 points different than Stutzle.

And since Zegras tracks very closely with Nylander at the same age ... Why wouldn't his high end projection be 90+ then? Would you compare that hypothetical projection to Newhook's actual production? Course not.

I'm not continuing this Newhook discussion anymore. It was a small inquiry yesterday and it doesn't work. There is no value in discussing the gap between the two at this stage.

Go create a Newhook value thread if you wish. I'm aware of the differences between the two and the discussion has been vetted more than enough now.

• Haha
Reactions: crowi

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Newhook reaching 50-60 pts is not over inflated value. Having to explain this is what I dislike about HF.

Let me get this straight. Newhook can't reach 50-60 but Zegras is a sure shot 80 pts guy? Zegras is allowed to improve but Newhook is not? Sure buddy.

Not trying to push that trade idea but some of you need to let it go on the Newhook devalue. Just say no to the trade idea and move on. Stop spending your energy devaluing a player you declined.
Newhook ISN’T a 60 point player he’s a 35 point player. Zegras is a 61 and a 65 point player ALREADY. Stop trying to equate what Newhook might be to what Zegras already is. Pretending that sometime in the future they will equal out or come close is not how trade values are determined in the present. You are overvaluing Newhook today.

Please stop making me explain logic to you.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Pretending that sometime in the future they will equal out or come close is not how trade values are determined in the present.

It could be if we were talking about a prospect vs an established player. But of course in this case it's two guys from the same draft and the same age several years into their NHL careers, so yeah it should be a straight up comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad