Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3 - Oilers 2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I keep laughing when people bringing up Arizona. Chayrka(sp) designed that team to be bad this year. A generational defensive prospect, an elite powerfoward and a franchise Dman in the top3 of this year's draft. This is the year, rebuilding teams should be sucking

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Are you aware one player alone, cannot change the team's fortunes?

By your logic, Connor McDavid has lead the Oilers to a 3-7-1 record.

Most around here seemed to think simply having McDavid meant guaranteed playoffs and championships to come.

Bottom line is bad management and below average coaching can still kill a McDavid led team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I keep laughing when people bringing up Arizona. Chayrka(sp) designed that team to be bad this year. A generational defensive prospect, an elite powerfoward and a franchise Dman in the top3 of this year's draft. This is the year, rebuilding teams should be sucking

I don't really think so. He brought in Hjamarlsson to please OEL ... I think he's going to lose that bet and OEL will ask for a trade out at some point soon.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's basically like saying I have this rock that keeps tigers away, because there aren't any tigers in my office (yes stolen from the Simpsons).

He didn't design the team be bad for tanking, he did a terrible job with his terrible team and some how made them worse.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

It's also the one year a cap strapped future contender could suck and not have it be the end of the world.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Split up McDavid and Drai. I don't give two galoops about their chemistry when it neuters the rest of the lineup, a monkey could've tapped in that setup from McDavid yesterday.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Split up McDavid and Drai. I don't give two galoops about their chemistry when it neuters the rest of the lineup, a monkey could've tapped in that setup from McDavid yesterday.

Put Strome there. He's not a superstar but as you said, he doesn't need to be to tap in goals like that.

We desperately need a real 2nd scoring line that is constantly a threat, we don't have that.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Put Strome there. He's not a superstar but as you said, he doesn't need to be to tap in goals like that.

We desperately need a real 2nd scoring line that is constantly a threat, we don't have that.

Whomever, I'm pretty tired of McLellan being allergic to trying Nuge and Drai together. We need another line that is more consistently a threat, desperately as you put it. It's frustrating because it seems like such a no brainer move right now.

Problem: Scoring from multiple sources

Option: Spread out the line drivers, McDavid and Draisaitl

Analysis: Threat increase to Line 2 >>>> Threat decrease to Line 1

Unless you don't trust McDavid to create chances without him (laughable), seems straightforward.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
All the deck shuffling doesn’t mean anything when our defence is horrible. Our only defenceman that is playing well is Nurse. Our top six is scoring at a good pace, Minus Lucic and Yamamot we won’t be winning many games until our defence tightens up and the secondary scoring steps up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All the deck shuffling doesn’t mean anything when our defence is horrible. Our only defenceman that is playing well is Nurse. Our top six is scoring at a good pace, Minus Lucic and Yamamot we won’t be winning many games until our defence tightens up and the secondary scoring steps up.

Problem is I'm not sure there's a good answer there. Klefbom is playing like garbage and Sekera is still out for another 2 weeks. Last time Chiarelli "upgraded" the D he needed Taylor Hall to do it and he doesn't have any more of those lying around.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The defense hasn't really been horrible.

Outside one player, they've actually been very good at 5v5. Unfortunately that one player was supposed to be the team's best defenseman and best shot at a #1D, but instead he's been by far the worst defenseman on the team.

They aren't going to sit Klefbom, so bringing in another defenseman is just going to push one of the guys who is actually playing well out of the lineup.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The defense hasn't really been horrible.

Outside one player, they've actually been very good at 5v5. Unfortunately that one player was supposed to be the team's best defenseman and best shot at a #1D, but instead he's been by far the worst defenseman on the team.

They aren't going to sit Klefbom, so bringing in another defenseman is just going to push one of the guys who is actually playing well out of the lineup.

The D is in trouble, they have a good game now and again, but they are constantly at a risk to have a 5-6 goals against fart game on any night it feels like.

Basically Klefbom and Sekera are both out, because Klefbom is effectively Mark Fayne right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The D is in trouble, they have a good game now and again, but they are constantly at a risk to have a 5-6 goals against fart game on any night it feels like.

Basically Klefbom and Sekera are both out, because Klefbom is effectively Mark Fayne right now.
Mark Fayne?
Mark Fayne wouldn't pinch ever. lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maroon is playing at a 67 point pace, McDavid at a 97 point pace. You don't need a freaking All-Star on the RW there. That is more than acceptable production for a no.1 line in this league.

McLellan is damaging the team by continually overloading that one line when they would still find ways to score anyway.

The SECOND LINE needs your attention, Todd. WAKE UP.

Teams know they just have to pay attention to one line. Even though RNH has scored some goals this year they're willing to give him those and just focus on the McDavid line. It's an easy team to play against ... just wait to get on the PP ... score ... and then clog the middle, and generally speaking you'll win.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think that's more the PK than the D's fault though.

Nurse, Russell, Benning and Gryba are all in the top 25 for 5v5 GA/60 for D who have played at least 100 minutes.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Maroon is playing at a 67 point pace, McDavid at a 97 point pace. You don't need a freaking All-Star on the RW there. That is more than acceptable production for a no.1 line in this league.

McLellan is damaging the team by continually overloading that one line when they would still find ways to score anyway.

The SECOND LINE needs your attention, Todd. WAKE UP.

Teams know they just have to pay attention to one line. Even though RNH has scored some goals this year they're willing to give him those and just focus on the McDavid line. It's an easy team to play against ... just wait to get on the PP ... score ... and then clog the middle, and generally speaking you'll win.

Lucic is shit. It doesn't matter how you try to fix it, he's like half a sleep/steps behind the play most of the time. So frustrating too.

And I dont think RNH's 'offense' will hold up. He's due for a dry spell of 15 or so games soon lol

killercookie

Apr 24, 2013
So when you combined our PP + PK %, most good teams will be at or above 100.

Last season we were 103.6
This season we are at 81.5

This is the reason why we are 3-7-1. If our PP was around 22% and our PK was around 83%, we would be 6-4-1. Woodcroft needs to go right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad