Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 3 Coyotes - 1 | The Lovejoy Leadership Edition

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This team had Miro Satan and Dupuis as their 4th line in 2009. Talbot/Fedotenko flanking Geno. It wasn't about talent, it was about team accountability and passion. That's why they won.

I'll keep saying it. You can put an all-star team in Pittsburgh. Select any players you want. As long as they keep having zero accountability, zero heart, this team is going nowhere.

Nailed it

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Sutter being absolute **** this season has made the bottom 6 look a lot worse than originally anticipated

Pretty much. The 3C has got to be the lynchpin of the bottom 6. Despite having a very nice set of bottom 6 wingers (Winnik/Downie/Spaling/Bennett), the lack of consistent offense and puck possession from Sutter is dragging the whole bunch down. Lapierre has also been less-than-useful, although I'm not sure Goc would have been much more help.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I look at out bottom 6 wingers and I'm like yes. We will have some secondary scoring.

I then look at what Sutter is doing on the ice and I wonder how we can have secondary scoring with that.
He actually has good wingers this year. He should have no excuse for producing so poorly this year.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Pretty much. The 3C has got to be the lynchpin of the bottom 6. Despite having a very nice set of bottom 6 wingers (Winnik/Downie/Spaling/Bennett), the lack of consistent offense and puck possession from Sutter is dragging the whole bunch down. Lapierre has also been less-than-useful, although I'm not sure Goc would have been much more help.
Spaling should have been moved to 3c months ago. Worst case, it is a lateral move but I think Spaling could be an improvement and it would probably light a much needed fire under Sutter's ass.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sutter being absolute **** this season has made the bottom 6 look a lot worse than originally anticipated

Really though, the only time Sutter hasn't looked like **** during his time here was last playoffs.

Nice that he turned it up for the spring and all, but I expected a lot more than a perpetual possession suck machine when the trade was made.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007

Surely you've seen other posts considering I've been around a while. Yes I may be complaining, but its more about the useless petty arguments that are now our post game talks. Seriously 6 pages are between 2 posters arguing over BB, this isn't a post game talk thread, it was an argue about BB thread. Can't we create a player discussion and let all the constant moaning go on there? ( similar to the all Sid talk thread)

We have these threads to talk about the game, which surely you can see has not happened at all.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Well drpepper - where there is smoke, there is fire. It's been brought up quite a bit by a lot of different sources. At this point, I would say it's probably happening. Plus you blatantly ignored the words "Speculation" and "Presumably" in there.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure it didn't seem like anything solid. But they really notions that have been floating around for a while.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sutter obviously kills the 3rd line, but the 4th line doesn't chip in a goal at all, ever, either.

Michael8771*

no one has ever claimed, ever, that bennett is "the second coming". stop it
I just find it absolutely absurd for posters to go to bat for this guy to the level and extreme that they do. When you look at his entire body of work at the NHL level he's been very ordinary. And playing him in the top six won't miraculously solve our issues there. So many overrate this guy it's scary. I expected a more informed and enlightened reaction to this guy. Oh well, you guys will see soon enough what he really is.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why can't Bennett just be a solid 3rd liner? Why is it either top 6 or the next Tangradi? He produces like Spaling & Sutter, let's leave him in that role.

Michael8771*

Why can't Bennett just be a solid 3rd liner? Why is it either top 6 or the next Tangradi? He produces like Spaling & Sutter, let's leave him in that role.
I think he should play 3rd line minutes. AND IF he actually does something in that role give him an opportunity to move up. But first things first. I think your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I've been thinking about the changes most of us wanted in the offseason. I think we would have been much better off. Not everyone wanted all of these changes but they were fairly popular. Hell, I thought we should hold on to Sutter to see if he could build on his success. :help:

Dump Scuds for whatever we could get.
Trade Kunitz
Trade Martin
Trade Sutter
Adams? LOL

In addition, give Despres and Bennett top minutes to rectify their development. See what we have in Dumo.

Where would we be right now?
Where would we be next season?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

There are some critical failures with our scoring wings and we need to try someone new. What we are doing now isn't working.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Talking about him is one thing. Defending him as if he's the second coming is quite another.

You have a tendency to lay on the hyperbole when it comes to arguing your case.

People defending Bennett doesn't mean we all think he'd be the next Patrick Kane if he was just given top six minutes. It just simply means we think he'd still be an asset to this club if he was given a chance to be played in a situation that utilizes his skillset properly.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Sutter obviously kills the 3rd line, but the 4th line doesn't chip in a goal at all, ever, either.

Hence why I wish we'd relegate Sutter to the 4th line and build a new 3rd line.

Kunitz - Spaling - Bennett
Lapierre - Sutter - Downie

when healthy. Try Winnik in the top 6. He has speed and could score at even strength decently while in Toronto.

Michael8771*

You have a tendency to lay on the hyperbole when it comes to arguing your case.

People defending Bennett doesn't mean we all think he'd be the next Patrick Kane if he was just given top six minutes. It just simply means we think he'd still be an asset to this club if he was given a chance to be played in a situation that utilizes his skillset properly.
In theory I agree, but in actuality I don't see it mattering. He's played in the top six before, and the pattern was that he'd play good a game or two and then largely disappear. I honestly think some of you guys are grasping at straws. He's just not that good of a player or consistent enough to be a regular in the top six. He's had enough time to show his worth, and though This particular role isn't best suited for him, he's failed terribly. Again, he doesn't deserve the opportunity anymore.

In Despres case it's different, there were 25 or so games he could arguably have been considered our best defensemen. IMO anyhow. But then his play fell off also. Some attribute it to playing with Scuderi, whatever. But he at least was consistently impressive for quite some time. That has never been the case with BB. Injuries, poor linemates whatever, sometimes you need to overcome these things. At least to some degree.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I just find it absolutely absurd for posters to go to bat for this guy to the level and extreme that they do. When you look at his entire body of work at the NHL level he's been very ordinary. And playing him in the top six won't miraculously solve our issues there. So many overrate this guy it's scary. I expected a more informed and enlightened reaction to this guy. Oh well, you guys will see soon enough what he really is.

Statements like the bold make you sound arrogant. I would respect your opinion if you didn't act like your opinion is the end all be all. Unfortunately it seems you think the only opinion with any value is your own.

Michael8771*

Statements like the bold make you sound arrogant. I would respect your opinion if you didn't act like your opinion is the end all be all. Unfortunately it seems you think the only opinion with any value is your own.
I am arrogant. I've tried to camouflage it, be more amicable, but it's not easy. :)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's different because (a) presumably Crosby is getting the wingers he wants, and (b) there's been a lot of speculation that Crosby doesn't like playing with Bennett.

There was also speculation that Crosby didn't like playing with Hornqvist after he was moved to Geno's line.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Use the ignore function and stop quoting the kid.

Michael8771*

So, Mikey, let's talk about Despres :)
Bad trade, eh?;)

In all seriousness this is suppose to be about the aftermath of last nights game. And I apologize to everyone for my part in derailing the thread.

In regards to the game itself, we won, Sid has the scoring lead, MAF played well, and apparently no one got hurt. Overall I'll give the team a 73 on the paradyme scale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad