Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 2 (SO) - Columbus Pokes the Two Headed Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
we still didn't score on 5 vs 5.

But win is a win!

and but every other metro team got a point alteast :(

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Schultz has a canon on the right side, Oleksiak has a canon on the left side.

Fkqkps3.jpg
Man he's my favorite poet. Always love reading a DeLaGhetto masterpiece

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, this team at ES isn't converting on the high quality chances we're getting. That's a huge difference when you compare this team to the one from two years ago. That team seemed to find the back of the net nearly every time.
we still didn't score on 5 vs 5.

But win is a win!

and but every other metro team got a point alteast :(
they not going to be winning everynight, we should not worry what they do, just play with passion, get some fresh guys, sit Jake , Sheary and rust for a few games if possible to light the fire under their back and we should be OK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
they not going to be winning everynight, we should not worry what they do, just play with passion, get some fresh guys, sit Jake , Sheary and rust for a few games if possible to light the fire under their back and we should be OK

We'll be ok with better gap, better puck support, if our star players play to their abilities and trade for a high end 3C.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens played a pretty good game, but you gotta take in account CBJ were playing a b2b without arguably its best player.

Sid needs to be better, he was good in OT, but i didn't like his game in regulation at all.

Some people really hate Ryan Reaves.

Sid and Geno were frustrated and initiated their fights and people want to blame Ryan Reaves for it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think if Sully would smarten up he could get more 5on5. Like i said in the GDT, get a net front presence on each of the top 2 lines. Horny and one of Rust/Hags will have to do for now. Why i kinda liked Reaves up there for 2 shifts tonight.

Rust doesn't work well with Sid and he almost always stays on the perimeter with them too. Simon with Sid/Jake have to be on their games on the forecheck to really be effective. I'd keep Horny on Sid's right hip.

Sheary-Phil winger combo is just no beuno. Keep it simple with Hags/Rust-G-Phil to start and let them try and get some mojo goin'.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
dropped to L4, then took a shot to the foot. I think he did come back, but L4 didn't play much I don't think.

I watched all of the first period and the lines were all buzzing and Simon was playing well...

I don’t get what Sullivan is doing. It’s like he’s making predetermined lines by period before the game starts...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I watched all of the first period and the lines were all buzzing and Simon was playing well...

I don’t get what Sullivan is doing. It’s like he’s making predetermined lines by period before the game starts...
Well he pretty much benched L4 for most of the 2nd, but didn't want to bench Rust I assume. I'm not sure why, they looked good in the 1st and this is pretty much the most important team to have Reaves against.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well he pretty much benched L4 for most of the 2nd, but didn't want to bench Rust I assume. I'm not sure why, they looked good in the 1st and this is pretty much the most important team to have Reaves against.

Ya, but the fourth line played another great period and all four lines were rolling and generating chances, then he comes out in period two with the lines changed and suddenly they lost all momentum.

Not sure why he keeps pushing Rust on line 1... it’s never worked well. Just weird how the last two games he’s changed lines when they were rolling.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Part of the problem for the 4th line is that Sully won’t play them if the Pens fall behind (a frequent trend and frankly, I don’t blame Sully since their chances of scoring a goal are small).

In fairness to Reaves, even if I wanted him to punch Foligno in the face, we were down a goal heading into the 3rd period, so risking a penalty probably wasn’t the best idea. Having said that, I’m still not sure what value he is supposed to bring in a game like this unless it becomes a total shit show.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Part of the problem for the 4th line is that Sully won’t play them if the Pens fall behind (a frequent trend and frankly, I don’t blame Sully since their chances of scoring a goal are small).

In fairness to Reaves, even if I wanted him to punch Foligno in the face, we were down a goal heading into the 3rd period, so risking a penalty probably wasn’t the best idea. Having said that, I’m still not sure what value he is supposed to bring in a game like this unless it becomes a total **** show.

Two years in a row he’s proven he and his linemates can score timely goals and lift his team. He was playing close to 9 minutes last season, so if Sullivan wants to treat him like a goon, then Reaves do much about it.

Too bad he doesn’t watch some footage of what he did for the Blues. Too bad he can’t just leave the lines be when they are rolling and stop forcing Rust with Crosby.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This game was encouraging, but damn, this team STILL can't score at ES. It's a huge problem. This team needs some goal scoring help, and luckily for them, they have someone in their organization who can help them.

Oleksiak was good tonight, very happy with his game.

That's why it's still difficult to get encouraged by a positive result. They needed the PP to provide offense. 5 on 5 production is downright mind boggling right now in how bad they are.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Two years in a row he’s proven he and his linemates can score timely goals and lift his team. He was playing close to 9 minutes last season, so if Sullivan wants to treat him like a goon, then Reaves do much about it.

Too bad he doesn’t watch some footage of what he did for the Blues. Too bad he can’t just leave the lines be when they are rolling and stop forcing Rust with Crosby.

My trust in Sullivan is probably a fart sniff above Dan Bylsma right now, thanks to how he's handled this season and a huge part of this season is Sullivan's fault, whether people want to believe that or not.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We'll be ok with better gap, better puck support, if our star players play to their abilities and trade for a high end 3C.

Lol lol. So. Just. Overhaul everything and it'll be fine. Lol.

You aren't wrong. Just. It's funny.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Of course the one time I do not add extra time to the recording... it goes to a SO, and the recording ends just as Panarin is going in for a shot in the SO.

As for the game... thought Oleksiak played pretty well. Surprised to see his final TOI at 17:30. Figured how little I noticed him at times, that it would be between 14/15. He had a few minor mistakes, but overall liked what I saw.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Lol: lets get JR in front of Oleksiaks agent so he can sign him to a 6 year deal. He probably deserves it more than Maata or Dumo after his one game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol: lets get JR in front of Oleksiaks agent so he can sign him to a 6 year deal. He probably deserves it more than Maata or Dumo after his one game.

Pump your breaks kid, you need to realize this kid isn't some hack and that he's literally just 25yrs old, 2yrs older than Olli Maatta.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My trust in Sullivan is probably a fart sniff above Dan Bylsma right now, thanks to how he's handled this season and a huge part of this season is Sullivan's fault, whether people want to believe that or not.

Unless he's a genuis and shootin' for Dahlin...:thumbu:

I wonder what Mark Recchi's role and part is in these struggles?

I wonder that too every time his name comes up.
One thing i'm pretty sure of is he likes Kuhnackl...
But i wonder if he's the one doing the changes or Sully in games...
They seem to change much quicker and more often than the Tocchet/Sully/Jacques led squads.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Type of game I think we needed to wake up and start playing with more edge. Despite all the long seasons and an understanding that "not every game is the cup final", at some point you need to build back toward winning hockey. We have the skill, we need the passion and effort.

Not sure why we went away from the fourth line in the second. Your down one goal, not 3. Also, if you trim ice time, trim hags, rust, Sheehan...people who are invisible even strength.

If big Steve plays every game close to that level I think he will be a great add. I liked that he played "turned lose". Might have been out of position a few times, but far more positive on ice impacts than negative in my mind. Happy for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I would say you take this to elevated levels, but I think it's more than fair to say Sully has not been great this year. Have to take his 1.5 years of pushing all the right buttons and 2 Cups into consideration, so it'd be absolutely insane to say anything more than that. But nonetheless - I think he's done a pretty poor job.

And I don't think the players playing without emotion is 100% on him. That's out of his control and actually why JR had a good mindset in the summer of new blood, just couldn't execute.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad