Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 2 (SO) - Columbus Pokes the Two Headed Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Every team in the division got a point tonight thus far, hard to make up ground when that happens!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
it was a bit better game, sid woke up at the end, the more I watching the more I think that our game now relies on how our second tier will play: Geno and sid will set 6-7 good chances every game so its a must that Guentzel, sheary, rust and whoever flanks them start scoring. Get speed on fourth line to keep puck in their zone, get anything from the third line and we should be OK

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah I didn't mean him :laugh:

Oleksiak does have a cannon of a shot, though. I think he takes over as having the hardest shot on the Penguins defense now, which was previously held by Maatta. He has an absolute rocket. It's actually kinda funny how much he looks like a watered down, much worse version of Chara.

Yeah, dude has a scary shot and he was using it. They could have some shots on the backend going forward if he sticks. Oleksiak, Maatta, Schultz and whatever it is Letang sometimes does. Two lefties and two righties. I think Hunwick's is alright and I don’t want to call Dumoulin's shooting the puck.

Still early days and all that, but I get why they’ve been keeping an eye on him.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe Cole and a pick brings in Bozak with some retension. But I doubt Cole brings in what the Pens really need. No question Pens need some fresh legs to get back in the hunt.

Would Cole and Sheahan do it? Honestly, if the fourth line is going to have Reaves play every game, and theyre only going to play 6 minutes a night, I dont know if its as imperative to play a stellar fourth line. Upgrading that 3C becomes that much more important.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Thank goodness Dubinsky was out, Reaves might have hurt his hand punching his helmet while he turtles.
1150889_orig.gif

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Oleksiak - it's wayyy too early but like i said, if Gonch/Jacques can clean him up some, he has a shot to be a top 6 defender here. He has no qualms about joining a rush, decent hands for a big man and a sneaky/hard shot. And has the ability to eliminate bodies or simply get in the way smartly, Couple times late where he was forcing pucks up the boards when he had a simple DtoD pass available and a few times where he could snap the puck DtoD in the DZ quicker to give his partner a little more time to make a play. Again, it's wayyy too early with him but it'll be interesting as things move along. Real test will be after the adrenaline dump wears off and he settles in more.
it seemed that early on the pens were not letting him move the puck up the ice.[instead of the other "d" passing the puck to him they held on to it and passed it up themselves]

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Would Cole and Sheahan do it? Honestly, if the fourth line is going to have Reaves play every game, and theyre only going to play 6 minutes a night, I dont know if its as imperative to play a stellar fourth line. Upgrading that 3C becomes that much more important.

Yeah, but they can’t keep f***ing doing that. You don't lean into this.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
defense was OK Maatta and ruh were the best pair, Letang and dumo not the greatest not the worst game, Hunwick sucks

Rowney also sucks, he should not be anything more than #14, #15

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, this team at ES isn't converting on the high quality chances we're getting. That's a huge difference when you compare this team to the one from two years ago. That team seemed to find the back of the net nearly every time.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Yeah, but they can’t keep ****ing doing that. You don't lean into this.
I agree in premise, but they are whether we like it or not. Either management and/or Sully have decided thats what theyre going to role with for now.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
defense was OK Maatta and ruh were the best pair, Letang and dumo not the greatest not the worst game, Hunwick sucks

Rowney also sucks, he should not be anything more than #14, #15
I actually thought Rowney had a decent game. Not bad but not very good. He’s a good 13th for this team. Just not good enough for our 4C.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
2.25 million of iffy as well. I hated this move only since I knew it meant Pouliot would never be given a shot here. I also never saw the upgrade over DP, especially at his cost.
He is another guy on the list that could be moved. I would be ok moving him for a D with an expiring contract. Assuming also that Cole is starting 2018 with another team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From what I saw tonight, I think Hunwick and Oleksiak work well as a pair in terms of play strength. Oddly enough, Oleksiak's biggest issue as far as I could tell was defensive positioning, he would sometimes drift out of the play or go out of his way to make a hit. Positional play is probably Hunwick's biggest strength. On the flip side, Hunwick is butter soft and small and Oleksiak obviously complements that. Both can skate well and both can move the puck (I think Hunwick's puck moving looked better tonight than when he was on RD) and I think both of them complement each other well. It's early, but I'm optimistic about that pair.

It's no longer a Cole-Schultz bottom pair, aka a 2nd pair as the 3rd pair, but I think a Hunwick-Oleksiak 3rd pair can be very effective.

Reactions: NEPA

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Also, my weekly ++ for Horny and Rust. Rust hasnt actually been as good since his hot start, but still love the guy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hunwick has been pretty iffy since he's been back in the line-up.

I’d be perfectly okay with him being a HS when Schultz is back. He just hasn’t been right since that concussion and hasn’t been able to play his way through it. Maybe he forms some kind of comedy duo bond with Oleksiak and they thrive together but I’d be surprised.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad