Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 2 (SO) - Columbus Pokes the Two Headed Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Didn't catch much but it seemed encouraging. 30 shots after two periods sounded good to me. Maybe they've made some improvements/jumpstarted themselves a little, but we'll see the new few games.

Still, they played another struggling team to a tie basically (although the points were definitely needed of course). Lot of penalties too. Wish I would've seen more of the game because it seems hard to take too much from it. A simple two points when you need them can possibly propel you a little bit though.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ya, but the fourth line played another great period and all four lines were rolling and generating chances, then he comes out in period two with the lines changed and suddenly they lost all momentum.

Not sure why he keeps pushing Rust on line 1... it’s never worked well. Just weird how the last two games he’s changed lines when they were rolling.
Mind boggling...Both games, lines were fine, but did not score, he loses patience and goes back to his comfort zone loading up..doing just the opposite, limiting our offensive game. One part of that I think is that he sees Sid struggles and is trying to shuffle through the roster hoping to soome combo magically sticks. yesterday he could have swapped Simon and Horny if he wanted spark, Simon could still be affective with Sheahan and Sheary and not ruin the fourth line that had in last two games, most offensive zone time and solid chances in front.

And I posted several times last night: can they please leave Rust on 3RW or 4RW where he is the most effective, how hard is this really?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mind boggling...Both games, lines were fine, but did not score, he loses patience and goes back to his comfort zone loading up..doing just the opposite, limiting our offensive game. One part of that I think is that he sees Sid struggles and is trying to shuffle through the roster hoping to soome combo magically sticks. yesterday he could have swapped Simon and Horny if he wanted spark, Simon could still be affective with Sheahan and Sheary and not ruin the fourth line that had in last two games, most offensive zone time and solid chances in front.

And I posted several times last night: can they please leave Rust on 3RW or 4RW where he is the most effective, how hard is this really?

Ya, not sure what he's doing TBTH. He is trying to be like Bowman it seems, but Bowman switched up lines with a purpose. If lines were rolling like the first period, Bowman would never have switched them.

Trying to force Rust with Crosby is tiresome and there is ample evidence they don't fit together well, and Rust is inherently more effective when he is the main guy on his line carrying the puck.

I suspected he would do some odd stuff with Simon, but it's gotten truly bizarre.

Reactions: ncm7772

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Part of the goal scoring issue as I see it is that even when we have guys going to the net and creating traffic and are getting pucks to the net, goalies are so big that they can see around the likes of Guentzel or Rust, so the traffic becomes kind of moot.

I don't know how you fix that. I don't want to replace all our speed with plugs like Maroon or Lucic. Maybe we just need to work on how we screen goalies and drawing a defender towards the front of the net so that it's our forward AND their d-man that the goalie has to look around. Or shoot lower so there's a rebound more often.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah. SOG haven't really been a problem. Quality ones and finishing has.

Been 35+ consistently.

Average shot distance has been almost 40feet though. most teams are getting average distance of around 30feet against us.

Disclaimer: infrequent analysis of the Pens app is my advanced stats source lol

Reactions: ETA

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I guess they're worried about using Reaves on the LW in the defensive zone but I'd give it a shot as we need to get more out of Rust.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Part of the goal scoring issue as I see it is that even when we have guys going to the net and creating traffic and are getting pucks to the net, goalies are so big that they can see around the likes of Guentzel or Rust, so the traffic becomes kind of moot.

I don't know how you fix that. I don't want to replace all our speed with plugs like Maroon or Lucic. Maybe we just need to work on how we screen goalies and drawing a defender towards the front of the net so that it's our forward AND their d-man that the goalie has to look around. Or shoot lower so there's a rebound more often.

I mean theres other bigger players that go to the net that may be available. Colin Wilson or a Benoit Pouliot are two examples. I really wouldn't mind either and plopping them on the left side of Geno-Phil then simply make Jake/Sheary-Sid-Horny. Get a 3C(rental if need be) and try and make a run. That is if we're still in the hunt as we go along here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
My trust in Sullivan is probably a fart sniff above Dan Bylsma right now, thanks to how he's handled this season and a huge part of this season is Sullivan's fault, whether people want to believe that or not.

No it's not. Are there things he could be doing better? Sure, but frankly, he doesn't have the roster HE wants or thinks he needs to play Penguins hockey the way they did in 2016 and even 2017. I agree with him.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Likely my only live Pens game of the season, so I'm pumped it was a good one!

Watching Sid in OT was magic.

Watching that live was a treat. Everyone in my section was just screaming "SHOOT IT!" as yinzers are known to do, but I was just smiling. After the whistle, I turned to my dad and said how awesome it was to see the Crosby Show in person.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
^^^ right on. Yeah we're very spoiled watching these guys (even if they suck so far this year)

Looking forward to the jan 20 game out here in SJ.

Reactions: Mordax

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No it's not. Are there things he could be doing better? Sure, but frankly, he doesn't have the roster HE wants or thinks he needs to play Penguins hockey the way they did in 2016 and even 2017. I agree with him.

My only issue with Sullivan is his line juggling even when the lines are playing well, just because they haven't scored that period. I wonder how much of the lack of offense is because the players can't ever get in a groove with their linemates because Sully's so quick to mix it up if they go a couple of periods with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My only issue with Sullivan is his line juggling even when the lines are playing well, just because they haven't scored that period. I wonder how much of the lack of offense is because the players can't ever get in a groove with their linemates because Sully's so quick to mix it up if they go a couple of periods with nothing to show for it.

I mean, he has stuck with the same lines a lot. Nothing is working, not to mention this is how every coach works in the NHL today. Line juggling is done all the time and Sullivan’s juggling of the defense last year won us a cup.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

That’s fair. He might have too quick a trigger finger but I get why he’s doing it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, he has stuck with the same lines a lot. Nothing is working, not to mention this is how every coach works in the NHL today. Line juggling is done all the time and Sullivan’s juggling of the defense last year won us a cup.

Check left wing lock our percentages are fairly low for most common lines.
Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is about 10% then every other combo is 6% or below. That’s quite low.

He’s done it in the past but we had lots of injuries. Maybe Sully’s brain is used to changing ;)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He has a say about it. JR isn't going to get random guys and say hey do something with them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would say you take this to elevated levels, but I think it's more than fair to say Sully has not been great this year. Have to take his 1.5 years of pushing all the right buttons and 2 Cups into consideration, so it'd be absolutely insane to say anything more than that. But nonetheless - I think he's done a pretty poor job.

And I don't think the players playing without emotion is 100% on him. That's out of his control and actually why JR had a good mindset in the summer of new blood, just couldn't execute.
I do because I had such blind faith in how great he was so I feel more betrayed now because there are some incredibly glaring coaching issues.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unless he's a genuis and shootin' for Dahlin...:thumbu:

I wonder that too every time his name comes up.
One thing i'm pretty sure of is he likes Kuhnackl...
But i wonder if he's the one doing the changes or Sully in games...
They seem to change much quicker and more often than the Tocchet/Sully/Jacques led squads.
I think Rex isn't nearly as good of a buffer as Tocchet was. That could be a huge issue with what Sully says and how it comes across to players. He jokes about how they're tired of hearing his voice after video meetings, but maybe they just miss that go between a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad