Salary Cap: Penguins 2014-15 roster building discussion III (Contract/free agent chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
The problem with Letang is that his NTC kicks in July 1, and if you don't move him you're on the hook for $7.25mm over the next 8 years. That's a lot of risk for a "see how he responds to a new coach" approach, too much in my opinion.

Yep, that's a lot of money to have tied up over 8 years for a guy that's missed more than 40% of the regular season games over the past 3 years.

Now is definitely the time to trade Letang.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You probably have to Carter Letang, even if it's cold to do to a guy who just had a stroke and even if you're selling low.

We can't have this much money tied up in established D when that's all we've got in terms of cheap, young talent.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
SJ needs a D-man. And likely a 3C if Pavelski is moved or is a winger there longterm. Decent fit with what we have to offer.

As for Kane. We'll see, but if he's being dangled, we'd be stupid not to be willing to give up Neal for him. Kane would have done way more in this series than Neal did. And it's not close.

We have plenty of assets to fill more than one hole.

It just seems like a lot of moving pieces and I'd be surprised if there was that much turnover without giving a different coach a chance with most of this core intact.

As for Kane for Neal straight up? I would take that, though he clearly has his own flaws or Winnipeg wouldn't have soured on him in the first place. Also, I don't see why Winnipeg takes that offer when they don't have an elite set-up man which is obviously what Neal needs to be productive.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Who are some of the teams that would need Letang?

Detroit, San Jose, Colorado, Carolina, Anaheim, Tampa, Philly?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It just seems like a lot of moving pieces and I'd be surprised if there was that much turnover without giving a different coach a chance with most of this core intact.

As for Kane for Neal straight up? I would take that, though he clearly has his own flaws or Winnipeg wouldn't have soured on him in the first place. Also, I don't see why Winnipeg takes that offer when they don't have an elite set-up man which is obviously what Neal needs to be productive.

I expect Sutter to be gone due to money. And now its coming out that Letang was dangled last summer before ownership nixed it. I think there's a strong possibility there are a few deals that could go down.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Yep. Literally all those teams. Whatever team that doesn't have a legit #1 PMD.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA

Detroit - Nyqvist + ?
San Jose - Not sure
Colorado - O'Reilly, perhaps Landeskog though I doubt he's moved
Carolina - Skinner
Anaheim - some combo of Palmieri/Etem/Silfverberg/Vatanen
Tampa - Palat, doubt he's moved though
Philly - no unless they are giving us Simmonds + Read or something crazy

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I expect Sutter to be gone due to money. And now its coming out that Letang was dangled last summer before ownership nixed it. I think there's a strong possibility there are a few deals that could go down.

Sutter I would definitely look to move. I'm hoping that Winnipeg really likes him and would take Sutter+Despres/Dumoulin+1st for Kane.

As for moving Neal and Letang, I wonder if the Sharks would do something like Pavelski+Burns for Neal+Letang? They obviously have a need for Letang and are in need of a shakeup, as you said. Thornton and Marleau both just re-signed with NMC's so unless they're willing to waive those, Pavelski, Couture and Burns seem like the only moveable pieces for them. They could always put Neal with Thornton so that should be a good fit.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sutter I would definitely look to move. I'm hoping that Winnipeg really likes him and would take Sutter+Despres/Dumoulin+1st for Kane.

As for moving Neal and Letang, I wonder if the Sharks would do something like Pavelski+Burns for Neal+Letang? They obviously have a need for Letang and are in need of a shakeup, as you said. Thornton and Marleau both just re-signed with NMC's so unless they're willing to waive those, Pavelski, Couture and Burns seem like the only moveable pieces for them. They could always put Neal with Thornton so that should be a good fit.

I'm not as big of a Burns fan at wing as most here, but SJ is a prime example of a team that may be willing to deal the pieces this team could use.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

Was there a report that he was being shopped before resigning?

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I'm not as big of a Burns fan at wing as most here, but SJ is a prime example of a team that may be willing to deal the pieces this team could use.

Everyone seems to want a guy that will protect Crosby, and Burns definitely fits that at least. Probably a bit of a lateral move overall, but Pavelski for Letang would be pretty fantastic assuming Niskanen is re-signed.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If Letang is moved to Anaheim (which I don't think he will be) I hope we get Etem+DSP+extra. I've wanted DSP for some time and these playoffs have only made me want him more.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA

Couple of those could be good fits with lots of forward talent that a trade could be built around:

Detroit
Nyquist
Tatar
Jurco
Mantha

San Jose
Pavelski
Burns
Hertl
Sheppard
Wingels

Colorado
O'Reilly
McGinn

Carolina
Skinner
Lindholm

Anaheim
Silfverberg
Smith-Pelley
Bonino
Palmieri

Tampa
Drouin
Kucherov
Killorn
Namestnikov

Philly
Simmonds
Voracek
Couterier
Laughton

Not suggesting any of these are even doable, obviously some you'd need to add to one side or the other, just guys I'd be interested in coming back the other way. Philly would never happen. Detroit and San Jose are unlikely, and Tampa is especially unrealistic, but a man can dream...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I find it interesting that people want Letang gone after having a very poor start to the playoffs, but want to spend over $5 mil to keep Niskanen even though he played rather poorly in the Rangers series.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Was there a report that he was being shopped before resigning?

Madden saying Shero shopped him, got a deal in place and ownership didn't allow it to go through b/c Letang is too marketable.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Trade Bait:
Sutter (I'm warming up to the idea of dealing him for a wing, especially if Goc is re-signed)
Derrek Pouliot (I know he's likely our best prospect, but I'm ok to get a good young player in return)

1st round pick (same as Pouliot)

Also, I think one depth defenseman would be good. I actually liked Murray when he was here last year and if he came cheap, he's the kind of physical guy they need.

You do realize that Pouliot has a very unique skillset compared to our other D prospects right? Of Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Maatta and whomever else we have on the team or in the minors, he's the only one that projects to be a PPQB. I'd move out any other prospect inc Maatta before Pouliot. Despres I'd like to keep simply due to his age, size and skating ability.

As for a D with size like Murray... we have that currently in Bortuzzo. Sure he's only 6-4, 225 and can skate... but we have no reason to tie up money in someone like Murray when Bort and Despres are in the system and combined will cost less than that vet.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Disco Dan, is that you?

That's the same kind of thinking that keeps Bennett on the third line and Despres in WBS. Health permitting, Bennett should start next season on the top 6 (assuming he isn't traded). What do the Penguins have to lose? A few regular season games in October? OH THE HORROR!

There's nothing wrong with penciling Bennett onto the 3rd line next season, as long as the coach doesn't get married to a lineup when players start exceeding expectations. Bennett (as much as I like him) hasn't yet shown he can produce as a top 6 player. So instead of giving it to him, let him earn it. Worse case he does, and there's no room in the top 6... then the GM can either make a move to trade someone for additional assets to make room, or we finally have some depth down the lineup.

The issue with Despres, is he was penciled in a depth role, but due to Maatta taking his spot and Bort being waiver eligible, there was no room for Despres. Had Maatta gone to juniors after his 9 game stint, we would have almost certainly seen Despres up all year. But with the signing of Scuderi there was just no room. Which was stupid. Play the rookies all season long, then look for a depth vet guy(s) at the deadline if there's any doubt in the rookies (such as Mtl with Weaver). Crosby, Malkin and whatnot are enough to get us into the playoffs.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What a sad bunch of Free Agents this year has to offer.

If you think this year is bad... look at next season for top 6 options. If the GM wants a top 6 player within the next 2 seasons, he'd better sign him this July, or the options get really bad.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
There's nothing wrong with penciling Bennett onto the 3rd line next season, as long as the coach doesn't get married to a lineup when players start exceeding expectations. Bennett (as much as I like him) hasn't yet shown he can produce as a top 6 player. So instead of giving it to him, let him earn it. Worse case he does, and there's no room in the top 6... then the GM can either make a move to trade someone for additional assets to make room, or we finally have some depth down the lineup.

The issue with Despres, is he was penciled in a depth role, but due to Maatta taking his spot and Bort being waiver eligible, there was no room for Despres. Had Maatta gone to juniors after his 9 game stint, we would have almost certainly seen Despres up all year. But with the signing of Scuderi there was just no room. Which was stupid. Play the rookies all season long, then look for a depth vet guy(s) at the deadline if there's any doubt in the rookies (such as Mtl with Weaver). Crosby, Malkin and whatnot are enough to get us into the playoffs.

I'm a card carrying member of the Beau Bennett fan club and I 100% agree with this. As long as he gets consistent minutes and hopefully #2 PP time, I'm in favor of this scenario. Also freedom to try and beat guys 1v1 and not crucified if he makes the occasional mistake. You know, actually develop him instead of Bylsma him.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
If you think this year is bad... look at next season for top 6 options. If the GM wants a top 6 player within the next 2 seasons, he'd better sign him this July, or the options get really bad.

Which is why I want to trade for a top 6 option if possible. Sure, you could go for Gaborik but he'll probably be looking for his last contract, so a long-term contract for a lot of dough (and he'll probably get it). Not sure it's worth it unless you can find a lot of cap space (i.e. getting rid of Kunitz/Dupuis/Letang etc).

Ideally you'd upgrade your third and fourth line via free agency and only do somewhat short terms so you're not stuck with stupid contracts. Especially when the free agent crops are becoming worse and worse.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

This is the same kind of flawed reasoning Bylsma used to justify keeping Bennett on the third line. How is Bennett going to "earn" anything on the third line? His pedigree suggests he's a top 6 player, so play him there. The Penguins have absolutely NOTHING to lose playing him in the top 6 next season - unless you think regular season games in October are important.

If the Penguins drafted Bennett in the first round with the intent of him being a third line winger, then someone in the Penguins organization badly screwed up when they decided to draft him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad