Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 2 Oilers - 0 - Yay?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Dropping Kunitz down to the 3rd line would resonate about 100X more than sitting the easiest of targets in Bennett. Not only is it bad coaching, but it also shows a lack of balls.

Once again, it's not about Bennett sitting and the Pens losing out because he's missing from the lineup. It's about others who are clearly not pulling their own weight not only NOT getting benched for even a shift or two, but actually getting promoted.

Christ, simply benching Adams - who is complete garbage - would resonate in the locker room. But what does Bylston do? He goes the self preservation route and reaches for the lowest hanging fruit.

I was hoping for MT PartII and instead got DB PARTII :help:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Edmonton is still so bad. I guess it's expected with Hall out but they looked like a pro wrestling job guy in this one. Just there to lay down and do the job.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Benching BB for playing too much on the perimeter while Kunitz is attached to Crosby's hip like a conjoined twin?

Ashton-Kutcher-laughing.gif

But seriously, if Pittsburgh had even 1 semi-decent sports writer in the media Johnston would be called out on his hypocrisy. Kunitz has either lost one too many steps or has bought into his stats a bit too much. The guy has abandoned the style of play that brought him to the dance in the first place.

Beau has had a few down games but he at least always looks like he is trying out there which should be rewarded. Instead players on this team are rewarded based on their age. It's getting sickening. You watch Kunitz play nowadays and he sort of just floats around all 3 zones. In the past he would be a wrecking ball who was hitting and winning battles for the puck all over the ice. When he wasn't scoring he was still providing support for his line. Now if he is not scoring he is actively hurting the line.

It would be funny to see him traded to Montreal hypothetically. Not saying it would happen but if it did I'd give it 2 weeks until Therrien would bench him and rip him in the press.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Petry was fairly impressive. I'm not sure he's what we need on D though. He's got some size to him but he seems like another puck moving type more than anything.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If Pittsburgh had one semi-decent sports writer, fans would have to support him, 'cause lord knows being a moron sells better in the Pittsburgh metro area. You want better sports writers? Buy better media, kids.:laugh:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Too often Kunitz is floating around the slot while Perron's in the crease.

There was one instance in the game were Perron was coming up the right wall on the cycle.. Kunitz was stationary in the slot, Perron lost the puck in the corner and Kunitz hesitated for probably half a second then went after the puck and he was beaten to it by guess how long? thats right.. half a second.. and the puck is out of the zone.. If Kunitz strikes immediately Perron loses the puck, we maintain possession. Kunitz needs to go.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know if there's ANYBODY on this board, including a draft-obsessed person like myself, who didn't like the Perron deal. Or Perron in general. Yes, he's exactly what we needed. Yes he's the type of player you move a first to acquire.

All that doesn't mean we shouldn't try like HELL to get back into the first round this June (or sooner if possible).

The '15 draft is quite important for the overall NHL landscape in the next five years.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I don't know if there's ANYBODY on this board, including a draft-obsessed person like myself, who didn't like the Perron deal. Or Perron in general. Yes, he's exactly what we needed. Yes he's the type of player you move a first to acquire.

All that doesn't mean we shouldn't try like HELL to get back into the first round this June (or sooner if possible).

The '15 draft is quite important for the overall NHL landscape in the next five years.

How so? Outside of two uber-prospects (which the Pens won't be in any position to grab if they do get a 1st back in a trade), why is this draft more important than any other draft? It's not like there's 30 sure fire NHLers.

Not saying the Pens shouldn't try to get back into the 1st round, but it's not an ultra important thing for the longterm stability of the franchise.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
How so? Outside of two uber-prospects (which the Pens won't be in any position to grab if they do get a 1st back in a trade), why is this draft more important than any other draft? It's not like there's 30 sure fire NHLers.

Not saying the Pens shouldn't try to get back into the 1st round, but it's not an ultra important thing for the longterm stability of the franchise.

I happen to think this draft will match the '03 draft in terms of its importance. It's getting closer to draft day, so now people are starting to think it's not nearly as deep as we originally thought. I don't buy it. People at this point in the process look for warts and start over-analyzing the situation.

And yes, I would not be surprised if we saw pretty much every team get a quality NHLer in Round 1. Just like '03, save for the Rangers I believe.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I happen to think this draft will match the '03 draft in terms of its importance. It's getting closer to draft day, so now people are starting to think it's not nearly as deep as we originally thought. I don't buy it. People at this point in the process look for warts and start over-analyzing the situation.

And yes, I would not be surprised if we saw pretty much every team get a quality NHLer in Round 1. Just like '03, save for the Rangers I believe.

So how do you proposed they get a 1st rounder? If the draft is that deep, who's going to want to give their pick (even if they have multiple ones) for anything the Pens would move?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So how do you proposed they get a 1st rounder? If the draft is that deep, who's going to want to give their pick (even if they have multiple ones) for anything the Pens would move?

No one will.

I will be shocked if we see another 2015 rounder move. I also don't think any forwards the quality of Perron will be moving before the draft (E. Kane is not as good as Perron). I really think the Perron trade was a win for both teams.

penguins2946*

The idea that the 2015 draft class is insanely deep is a pure myth. The top end talent is one of the best it has had in years, but it's no deeper than any other recent draft. A late 1st this year wouldn't be any different than a late 1st last year.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Can someone explain to me why Sid keeps resorting to the same predictable dangle every time he tries to beat a defender 1-on-1? For once I'd like to see him at least TRY to beat a guy to the outside with his speed rather than go straight at him only to have the puck easily poked away...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can someone explain to me why Sid keeps resorting to the same predictable dangle every time he tries to beat a defender 1-on-1? For once I'd like to see him at least TRY to beat a guy to the outside with his speed rather than go straight at him only to have the puck easily poked away...

I had Madden on when I was out yesterday and his question of the day was basically, what's wrong with Sid, since "I know for a fact he isn't injured".

Some guy called in and said he thought Crosby was too predictable, and a "paint by the numbers" player. Madden thought the guy had a very good point, and said that Crosby will keep doing something over and over because it worked one time. He went on to say that Crosby thinks hard work will overcome everything, but that's not always the case. That he can't really work much harder than he does.

There is some element of truth in there, but it's not that simple, either. The best player in the world doesn't get to where he is by being so predictable. However, there are some instances where I agree with this notion, particularly on breakaways. We all know he will try a quick snapshot five hole. It's almost become a parody. He has a flat blade, so you would think going backhand would be something he is comfortable with...

He also is making bad decisions, that are low percentage plays. Ie, the last half dozen games, he has had his guy beat, but keeps pulling up and finding Scuderi at the point. I stopped counted at about a dozen instances. His hockey IQ is high enough that he should be able to process who that is and to make a different play.

In the end, it's hard to break down his game and find exactly what's wrong. I do think that getting Kunitz off his line will take him out of his comfort zone and get him out of some of his bad habits that those two have formed together.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I had Madden on when I was out yesterday and his question of the day was basically, what's wrong with Sid, since "I know for a fact he isn't injured".

Some guy called in and said he thought Crosby was too predictable, and a "paint by the numbers" player. Madden thought the guy had a very good point, and said that Crosby will keep doing something over and over because it worked one time. He went on to say that Crosby thinks hard work will overcome everything, but that's not always the case. That he can't really work much harder than he does.

There is some element of truth in there, but it's not that simple, either. The best player in the world doesn't get to where he is by being so predictable. However, there are some instances where I agree with this notion, particularly on breakaways. We all know he will try a quick snapshot five hole. It's almost become a parody. He has a flat blade, so you would think going backhand would be something he is comfortable with...

He also is making bad decisions, that are low percentage plays. Ie, the last half dozen games, he has had his guy beat, but keeps pulling up and finding Scuderi at the point. I stopped counted at about a dozen instances. His hockey IQ is high enough that he should be able to process who that is and to make a different play.

In the end, it's hard to break down his game and find exactly what's wrong. I do think that getting Kunitz off his line will take him out of his comfort zone and get him out of some of his bad habits that those two have formed together.

This is MJs responsibility not to put Scuds on the ice when Sid or Geno's lines are out there. It simply limits their scoring chance. Giving the puck to Scuds in the O zone should never happen.

And one other point, maybe Sid is not the best player in the NHL right now. You could argue that there are now at least 10 others that are better and leaving Geno out of the argument.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com

I noticed this too.. there was one play last night where he did this and just thought "why?"

But part of this is on the coach too, if you know Crosby likes to look for the trailer (which has been his M.O for years) then why not pair him up with a more offensive D-man, or at least a D-man with a shot? Or even a dman that can shoot the puck harder than 10mph. Letang, Despres, Erhroff, even Martin and Bortuzzo have better shots than Scuderi.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It seems to me that MJ is looking to put out balanced 5 man units every shift.

Sid's line out... need to offset it with a defensive minded group.
Sutter's line out... need Letang's offense to fill the gap.

Not bad if done sparingly, but it think it's almost their "base formation".

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Let's just say that Crosby demands to play with Scuderi and be done with it, someone will get there eventually and this is more efficient.

Scuderi's shot makes Martin's look dangerous, though, Martin must love that feeling.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Three observations

-Not sure if it's coincidence or what, but Sill actually looks like an NHL fourth liner since we've acquired #40. Whether Sill's improvement has to do with 40 or not, they work very, very well together.

-It's comical how high they've got Adams out there when the other two are cycling. He's like 3 feet north of the D half the time.

-First line needs their roles modified. Too often Kunitz is floating around the slot while Perron's in the crease. It works much better when circumstances find their positions flip-flopped or, failing that, when both wings just go to the paint, which is what Geno's guys were doing all night.

I like that Perron doesn't have any compunction about standing under the hoop, but if there's going to be a guy in the slot or circles, he's far, far better suited to that than 14 is at this point.

Sill looked OK today but purely because the Oilers have more in common with an AHL team than an NHL one.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??

That drop pass to the back door D worked great with Whitney, not so much with Scuderi. But he keeps trying over and over. I don't get it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The idea that the 2015 draft class is insanely deep is a pure myth. The top end talent is one of the best it has had in years, but it's no deeper than any other recent draft. A late 1st this year wouldn't be any different than a late 1st last year.

Agree to disagree. This year's draft is a lot deeper than most years. And five years from now we'll see the full results, but even next season anywhere from 6-12 guys will be in the NHL already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad