Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 2 Oilers - 0 - Yay?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's a great way to help a struggling player, keep playing him on his off-wing. :shakehead

We're almost out of time for tonight's PC, so I'll ask Mike Johnston to sum up his approach to Beau Bennett-- how and where he uses him-- in one word . . .

penguins2946*

So, you're saying that Bennett, Rust, and Wilson prove that Shero did a good job drafting forwards, something that would be proven if only JR and MJ would use them. Okay then, moving on to your points about Pouliot tonight. :help:

Nope, but nice strawman. My point was you can't use tonight having 0 Shero drafted forwards in the lineup as evidence that Shero couldn't draft forwards for **** when there are 3 that should be in the lineup that aren't because of MJ and JR. It's not a hard concept to grasp, you just don't like admitting you said something stupid.

That isn't saying that Shero was a good forward drafter (because he wasn't), that's saying your line of logic is stupid. You could make a stupidly easy case on why Shero's F drafting sucked, but using tonight as evidence makes no sense. You could bring up the fact that Shero drafted 1 top-6 forward in his career, and you could even argue that Staal was more of a 3C instead of a 2C. You could bring up the fact that Shero's best non 1st round forward pick lasted a season and a half in the NHL. You could bring up the fact that the only winger that Shero drafted that looks to have serious top-6 potential can't stay healthy to save his life.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2015/02/01/yohe-beau-bennett-on-his-benching/#axzz3Qq7pLobj

He's playing on the perimeter and turning the puck over too much. Jesus. People need to quit acting like this is an Agatha Christie novel.

When Bennett was with Malkin, I think he went to the net quite frequently. It didn't seem like until it was after Malkin went out with injury and he started playing with Sutter that Bennett was drifting away from the net. Part of that might be Sutter's lousy play on the boards.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Nope, but nice strawman. My point was you can't use tonight having 0 Shero drafted forwards in the lineup as evidence that Shero couldn't draft forwards for **** when there are 3 that should be in the lineup that aren't because of MJ and JR. It's not a hard concept to grasp, you just don't like admitting you said something stupid.

That isn't saying that Shero was a good forward drafter (because he wasn't), that's saying your line of logic is stupid. You could make a stupidly easy case on why Shero's F drafting sucked, but using tonight as evidence makes no sense. You could bring up the fact that Shero drafted 1 top-6 forward in his career, and you could even argue that Staal was more of a 3C instead of a 2C. You could bring up the fact that Shero's best non 1st round forward pick lasted a season and a half in the NHL. You could bring up the fact that the only winger that Shero drafted that looks to have serious top-6 potential can't stay healthy to save his life.

Huh?

If Shero had drafted 6 forward who SHOULD or COULD be playing tonight, then you could say he did a good job.

Instead, what we've got in this organization is one who SHOULD be playing (but is a bubble top nine guy on most good teams) and two (Rust and Wilson) who on their best nights are bubble roster players on good teams in this league.

I cited #62 of the Oilers as a guy the Pens lack. THAT was the focus of my original post on the subject.

The 0 'draftees' thing was a throwaway remark, which any person with a non 'stupidly easy' mind would've recognized given how I've been complaining about how MJ has used Bennett. :help:

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Arco out. Spaling-Malkin-Horny and BB-Sutter-Downie.

Man... Its so sad that we've come to hoping for this.
How could the penguins not see P-C-H as the obvious first line? It gives us everything you could hope for in a first line.
Beau has looked his best on malkin's wing as a gritty puck retrieving play-maker and that would allow kunitz to dump and not chase/ "snipe" while geno does his geno thing.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
When Bennett was with Malkin, I think he went to the net quite frequently. It didn't seem like until it was after Malkin went out with injury and he started playing with Sutter that Bennett was drifting away from the net. Part of that might be Sutter's lousy play on the boards.
Couldn't agree more. Hard to a fault a guy for not going to the net when your center is garbage at driving possession in the o-zone.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Dropping Kunitz down to the 3rd line would resonate about 100X more than sitting the easiest of targets in Bennett. Not only is it bad coaching, but it also shows a lack of balls.

Once again, it's not about Bennett sitting and the Pens losing out because he's missing from the lineup. It's about others who are clearly not pulling their own weight not only NOT getting benched for even a shift or two, but actually getting promoted.

Christ, simply benching Adams - who is complete garbage - would resonate in the locker room. But what does Bylston do? He goes the self preservation route and reaches for the lowest hanging fruit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dropping Kunitz down to the 3rd line would resonate about 100X more than sitting the easiest of targets in Bennett. Not only is it bad coaching, but it also shows a lack of balls.

Once again, it's not about Bennett sitting and the Pens losing out because he's missing from the lineup. It's about others who are clearly not pulling their own weight not only NOT getting benched for even a shift or two, but actually getting promoted.

Christ, simply benching Adams - who is complete garbage - would resonate in the locker room. But what does Bylston do? He goes the self preservation route and reaches for the lowest hanging fruit.

:laugh:

Oh, and you're totally right about Bennett and Kunitz. Only thing you forgot to mention is how **** like this impacts a room and other players.

penguins2946*

Huh?

If Shero had drafted 6 forward who SHOULD or COULD be playing tonight, then you could say he did a good job.

Instead, what we've got in this organization is one who SHOULD be playing (but is a bubble top nine guy on most good teams) and two (Rust and Wilson) who on their best nights are bubble roster players on good teams in this league.

I cited #62 of the Oilers as a guy the Pens lack. THAT was the focus of my original post on the subject.

Again, since you seem to not be able to read, I'll make it nice and clear: I NEVER SAID SHERO DID A GOOD JOB IN DRAFTING FORWARDS. What did you think my entire strawman post was about?

The 0 'draftees' thing was a throwaway remark, which any person with a non 'stupidly easy' mind would've recognized given how I've been complaining about how MJ has used Bennett. :help:

Oh okay, I get it. Since you made a stupid throwaway remark, it's my fault for not realizing it was a stupid throwaway remark after seeing how this board basically blames global warming on the old regime. Gotcha. You're right, just like always.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
In fairness to MJ Kunitz actually DID get demoted to the 3rd line for a while earlier in the season. Then they plopped him back on the first again. At least they tried it, however briefly. Bylsma never did...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
In fairness to MJ Kunitz actually DID get demoted to the 3rd line for a while earlier in the season. Then they plopped him back on the first again. At least they tried it, however briefly. Bylsma never did...

If I'm wrong correct me, but that only happened when a couple of guys got hurt and they couldn't maintain the status quo.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
MJ quotes:

"I thought 'Arco' had a good night. He had a lot of scoring chances through the first two periods. He played a good game. That line as a group generated more than any of our lines"

So despite the chemistry issues some here see with Hornqvist-Malkin, MJ seemed to think there were good. Throw in Comeau for Arco and those are likely the lines.

Also, I do have to give props to Sill tonight. I agree with billybudd that he's been better since Lapierre has been in the lineup. It may be coincidence but they are playing well together.

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
That was a sleeper game. But I've seen worse this year at Rexall. Two garbage goals, and the Pens doing just enough to beat the Oil -- who brought very little.

I didn't even think Fleury had to be all that great. He had maybe two really decent stops.

Noticeable -'s to me (usual suspects)

-Kunitz, he done as a top 6 guy? It sure looks like it, or he's playing with some nagging injury all season long.

-Scuds, playing short handed on the offense every time he is out there. He seems to even try to avoid it as much as he can, like he's afraid of making a mistake.

- Malkin was good, but his line showed little chemistry in its current configuration.

+'s ? ... Thought Letang was good, Malkin with flashes, they did enough to win. That's about it.

I'm super happy to have got a chance to see the Pens win live though. :D

penguins2946*

How about David Perron though? Talk about a fantastic trade by Rutherford.

But bro, we lost a 1st for Perron. A 1ST! Perron is Perron, but a 1st could be anything, he could even be as good as Perron! You know how much we've always wanted a player like him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Baby steps..!

what-about-bob.jpg

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

Also, I do have to give props to Sill tonight. I agree with billybudd that he's been better since Lapierre has been in the lineup. It may be coincidence but they are playing well together.

He was better before Lapierre coming across. As a 12/13 forward he's good. Sill has been winning board battles regularly of late and made some good passes but they die with Adams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad