Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Islanders 1 (OT) - CDS Saves Dead Team Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
100%. And this isn’t a HFBoards thing, it is a Pittsburgh thing. People are also underrating how badly our depth is harmed by Simon and Hornqvist going down and Rust being a disappearing act. That gives us basically three NHL wingers and Pearson isn’t going to drive a line.

It is why I was able to get tickets to Game 5 for under 200 bucks.

Insanity. People want to make fun of Sharks fans. The tickets to those games were 800.

I'm sure the cost of living adjustment had nothing to do with it...

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/pittsburgh-pa/san-jose-ca/100000

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Uh. It isn’t because before we lost Game 4 tickets were 1200.

Obviously, it was because there was potential to see a cup win. But, if you don’t think Pens fans were expecting to lose the series after Game 4 you must’ve missed the knee jerk reactions.

I definitely missed that point of your post.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Do you really think we outplayed them tonight? They dominated us in the first. I personally think they looked much better. Sid, Jake, and Kess were literally the only 3 i felt were good.

I thought desmith saved our bacon.

Their were a ton of penalties and it seemed like the NYI were generating more on the PP then the Pens which is why i think it seemed like NYI had the better of the play.

That 4 min PP the Pens had at the end of the first was bad, the NYI got the best chance during those 4 mins when they got a breakaway.

If you listened to Trotz or the NYI players pregame or postgame they viewed that game as a statement game, they were pissed about the game they played in Pgh and they wanted to play well in their old arena. You knew the NYI were gonna be ready to play that game.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Uh. It isn’t because before we lost Game 4 tickets were 1200.

Obviously, it was because there was potential to see a cup win. But, if you don’t think Pens fans were expecting to lose the series after Game 4 you must’ve missed the knee jerk reactions.

I always expect us to lose, but, then again, I also always expect the worst in pretty much every situation in life :Laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I have to say, if I'm coaching then I scratch Rust at the earliest opportunity. He needs a serious wake up call. I don't really care about his production, slumps happen, but he looks like a guy mailing it in. It's a sharp contrast to the style that got him here.

Call up DiPauli and give him a cup of coffee. Maybe it will drive it home for Rust to see his clone take his spot.

Ha............ that kind of coaching doesn't apply for the players who are members of the coach's coffee corner.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Because it's not statistically supported, like a majority of the overreactions on this site. The 3 penalties in that period against the Penguins was a late hit by Johnson, a Malkin hold in the offensive zone and a slash by Oleksiak. The Oleksiak penalty was the only penalty that came from the Islanders outworking the Penguins, the other 2 were just undisciplined penalties by Penguins players.

The Islanders dominated the Penguins for about 10 minutes in the 1st period, from about the 5 minute mark to the 15 minute mark. The rest was either even or all Penguins.

Watch
The
Game

Stop looking at stats. You flat out admitted you didn't watch the whole game and then you DID watch the part we got murdered. But your fancy calculations told you something different. Goodness. Watch the game. :laugh:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Watch
The
Game

Stop looking at stats. You flat out admitted you didn't watch the whole game and then you DID watch the part we got murdered. But your fancy calculations told you something different. Goodness. Watch the game. :laugh:
That approach drives me crazy too :D Empoleon classic. Stats mean everything to him. It was so obvious that without our first line and DeSmith the Pens were quite bad last night. They got some luck, Isles were pretty bad too and CDS stole that boring game for us. But that shouldn´t mean that all is good... If Malkin somehow wakes up, that would help, but still there are so many other problems.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Watch
The
Game

Stats are worthless without context. Context is the game. Gotta watch it and then apply the numbers to the context.

And, let's be honest, most of the advanced stats are not really advanced. Shots for when on the ice vs shot against when on the ice. Ok, it is an indicator, but it is not like OBP in baseball. Sports like hockey and soccer are much more difficult to make more objective.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just watched the extended highlights. Totally agree. DeSmith was incredible. His best game as a Penguin, I'd argue.

And I'd still say, even to those who agree, to watch the game. But from the extended highlights, you probably saw an insane amount of DeSmith. Dude played really well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Watch
The
Game

But, like you said you have an immense bias towards Brassard, Rust and ZAR right now.

Even Maatta had some solid plays last night. And we won and possessed the puck 60% of the time the last two games.

Watch the game is just as bad as saying “stats don’t matter”.

It is a combination of both.
This board made it sound like we were the worst team every the 1st period, I watched the rest of the game and thought it was pretty decent. Not great, but nowhere as bad as some want to make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Watch
The
Game

"Watch the game" isn't a rebuttal to stats telling a different story. No one should only watch advanced stats, but when the stats go so against what you're saying, it's likely that you're just wrong. I watched the entirety of the 1st period, what I saw wasn't the Islanders "dominating the Penguins" and that was supported statistically. The Islanders had a strong 10 minutes, from about when Oleksiak took his slashing penalty to when Johnson took his interference penalty (the Johnson penalty kill was the turning point for when it went to the Penguins IIRC). People are just grossly overreacting the to Islanders being the stronger team for a 10 minute stretch.

This is just more par the course for the crazy overreactions this place has had recently. The Islanders had a good 10 minute stretch? The Penguins were horrible, the Islanders dominated the Penguins, the sky is coming down!!! The Penguins have been legitimately dominant for the last 10 or 11 games, yet you only see people freaking out about how bad this team is.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Watch the game is 100% a rebuttal to a person who admitted they didn't watch the game. I don't know what else to tell you. Your fancy stats hold no merit if you have nothing to consider them against. If you didn't watch the the game, you don't get to use fancy stats. Watch the game, consider the fancy stats, make your own conclusion. And if that is still your conclusion, i'll respectfully disagree with you and i'd stop conversation there because there would be no point to further it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And for the keyboard mashers who take stats as gospel, i'm not ignoring stats. I think, as @Scandale du Jour and many others said, it's imperative to watch the game and take those stats to make your own conclusion.

Example 1: When Mur/Fleury were splitting, I felt there were a lot less rebounds when Mur played as opposed to Fleury. I went through every game and look at rebounds/game stoppages due to goaltending. I found what my eyes were telling me actually supported by stats. However those are just stats. It doesn't give me a conclusion on where those rebounds went. Even if Murray had half the rebounds but they were all to the middle of the ice, it isn't something I can hang my hat on as a definitive. It just showed me one part of what I needed. There were so many other pending examples that were in play such as where the rebounds were being directed, second chance opportunities for the opponent, who made more high danger zone area saves, weight of each opponent in terms of their abilities, etc. I found one stat that supported my eye test but it was a weak stat because it didn't tell the whole story. I didn't use it as gospel.

Example 2: Penguins are ranked 6th overall on the PK. Does anyone feel that stat matches the eye test? Does anyone want to take a crack at this one before the stat mashers throw a hissy fit? This is another example where I feel the stat does not match up with the play in front of us. And I forget the users who mentioned it, but talked about DeSmith being godlike on the kill. So a credit to DeSmith SHOULD NOT be a credit to the PK unit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
@ColePens I honestly don’t know how you watch our PK and think it is bad since ZAR came up and that is clear bias. They’ve been great since they added him into the rotation and that is where his TOI is getting inflated.

The 4v3 PK last night was a clinic. The Islanders didn’t have one real chance and Barzal was absolutely moving his feet.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@ColePens I honestly don’t know how you watch our PK and think it is bad since ZAR came up and that is clear bias. They’ve been great since they added him into the rotation and that is where his TOI is getting inflated.

The 4v3 PK last night was a clinic. The Islanders didn’t have one real chance and Barzal was absolutely moving his feet.

I've said multiple times I exaggerate my ZAR hate for fun. It was like how I exaggerated my Vitale love. It's for fun. I've mentioned a million times I think ZAR is fine as a bottom 6er, but I still think there are better options. He's not the reason we are losing games.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BillPrep

Jun 2, 2016
"statistics are like mini-skirts...they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts."

- ebbe skovdahl

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Watch the game is 100% a rebuttal to a person who admitted they didn't watch the game. I don't know what else to tell you. Your fancy stats hold no merit if you have nothing to consider them against. If you didn't watch the the game, you don't get to use fancy stats. Watch the game, consider the fancy stats, make your own conclusion. And if that is still your conclusion, i'll respectfully disagree with you and i'd stop conversation there because there would be no point to further it.

It's almost like I did watch the game (specifically the window we're talking about), and I'm confident that you're just having another crazy overreaction that has plagued this site recently. The stats support my opinion on that.

I said the same thing after the Senators game, I wasn't watching the game that closely (was playing Smash Bros for a lot of it), but the team looked really good but couldn't beat Anderson. I came onto this site after the game and it seemed like the team had just been embarrassed 9-0. I'm certainly not the only one who's thinking that this board has gone off the deep end with overreacting to this team right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've said multiple times I exaggerate my ZAR hate for fun. It was like how I exaggerated my Vitale love. It's for fun. I've mentioned a million times I think ZAR is fine as a bottom 6er, but I still think there are better options. He's not the reason we are losing games.

So, not going to comment on what I actually said about the PK being lights out or what.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

For the record, the Isles PP has been atrocious for a while now. Read the Isles' game thread. They were fuming over the lack of movement on the PP, and how they telegraphed that the play was to setup Pulock for the one-timer, making it easy for the Pens' PKers to know what was coming.

I mean, kudos to the PK for doing their job. But let's not act like New York was winging the puck around like the Capitals last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad