Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Islanders 1 (OT) - CDS Saves Dead Team Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For the record, the Isles PP has been atrocious for a while now. Read the Isles' game thread. They were fuming over the lack of movement on the PP, and how they telegraphed that the play was to setup Pulock for the one-timer, making it easy for the Pens' PKers to know what was coming.

I mean, kudos to the PK for doing their job. But let's not act like New York was winging the puck around like the Capitals last night.

Well, good thing we held them to 0 PP goals in a blow out and they scored on the Ovechkin special in game 2.

Our PK has been the only consistent part this season and it being 6th is not a fluke.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, good thing we held them to 0 PP goals in a blow out and they scored on the Ovechkin special in game 2.

Our PK has been the only consistent part this season and it being 6th is not a fluke.

How much of that is the system and how much of that is the personnel?

We heard the same sort of stuff from the local media back in the day about why Craig Adams was a warrior and absolutely needed to be dressed because the Pens' PK was one of the best in the league. It's the same argument now being used for ZAR.

I just think you bringing up how good the PK is in reference to ZAR's performance is stretching things. We heard the same stuff with Adams and Glass in the past. Heck, we've got Sheahan and Grant also part of that "awesome PK". I guess that means we can never complain about those two guys either.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I actually thought Maatta had a few good plays last night. The problem is, this version of Maatta’s nice plays are breakout passes or box outs, and his mistakes are poor turnovers or angles that lead to odd-man rushes or high quality scoring chances against. The bad far outweigh the good right now

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How much of that is the system and how much of that is the personnel?

We heard the same sort of stuff from the local media back in the day about why Craig Adams was a warrior and absolutely needed to be dressed because the Pens' PK was one of the best in the league. It's the same argument now being used for ZAR.

I just think you bringing up how good the PK is in reference to ZAR's performance is stretching things. We heard the same stuff with Adams and Glass in the past. Heck, we've got Sheahan and Grant also part of that "awesome PK". I guess that means we can never complain about those two guys either.

I don’t have any issue with complaining about people ZAR on the PK is not something that should be complained about.

He’s been on the ice for 35 minutes of PK since coming up and only 2 GA.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I actually thought Maatta had a few good plays last night. The problem is, this version of Maatta’s nice plays are breakout passes or box outs, and his mistakes are poor turnovers or angles that lead to odd-man rushes or high quality scoring chances against. The bad far outweigh the good right now

I hated him on the GA. He got in the way of a clear spring pass for Rust and honestly did that thing where he turned his back on a forward moving play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t have any issue with complaining about people ZAR on the PK is not something that should be complained about.

And how much of that is due to a bit of luck because of a small-ish sample size?

Last night was a perfect example. He made three horrific plays on one Islanders' PP where he was directly responsible for the puck not being cleared three times when he had possession, but because DeSmith came up big and the Isles didn't score, he gets credit as being on the ice for zero goals against.

ZAR tries hard and is willing to block shots. And he seems smart enough to try and be in the proper position. But his inability to win 1 on 1 battles and him being bad with the puck on his stick results in the PK being hemmed in its zone longer than it should have been because he didn't get the puck out when he could have.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And how much of that is due to a bit of luck because of a small-ish sample size?

Last night was a perfect example. He made three horrific plays on one Islanders' PP where he was directly responsible for the puck not being cleared three times when he had possession, but because DeSmith came up big and the Isles didn't score, he gets credit as being on the ice for zero goals against.

ZAR tries hard and is willing to block shots. And he seems smart enough to try and be in the proper position. But his inability to win 1 on 1 battles and him being bad with the puck on his stick results in the PK being hemmed in its zone longer than it should have been because he didn't get the puck out when he could have.

How is 30 minutes of PK time a small sample size?

For reference Rust has 60 minutes and is our second most frequent PKer and has played 13 more games than ZAR.

I don’t like ZAR, but since coming in I think he’s done a great job PK wise and also is pretty sound positionally.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I've said multiple times I exaggerate my ZAR hate for fun. It was like how I exaggerated my Vitale love. It's for fun. I've mentioned a million times I think ZAR is fine as a bottom 6er, but I still think there are better options. He's not the reason we are losing games.

I mostly remember your Mike Zigomanis love. THAT was weird!

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
After struggling early on, do advanced metrics say the Penguins will be okay?

From the analytics perspective, our only real problem appears to be goaltending (last night notwithstanding)....discuss

Watching the games, I don't really think goaltending has been the issue. CDS has been average to good, murray was poor, but he always played in the games with insane amount of breakdowns.

Could it be better sure, but not the main reason we're in the hole. I mean CDS played amazing last night and we still almost lost.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@pixiesfanyo I believe the PK gets beasted on. Their front line to enter the zone is brutal. It gets beat over and over. Gaining the zone on us on the PK is easy. Then they get good looks.... but CDS is coming up big. That's not a recipe for success. I also do not like how we are limiting passes. We are actually giving up cross-ice passes. Dumo went down to block two of them last game and they had TWO point blank chances. That is not good. Those are actual examples of what I feel we struggle with.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

consistent...you mean like that stretch a few games back when they got scored on 4 goals against Tampa and than some after that, they are still way too passive, we have only one fast guy up (Rust) so the other teams can take chances, etc...Grant and Zar are both not good Pkers they are always step behind to cover the shot unless they are deep in their zone where only luck and CDS can save us...so if they keep PK like its now, I don't like our chances...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

If only that sentiment were shared in some circles . . . :popcorn:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
consistent...you mean like that stretch a few games back when they got scored on 4 goals against Tampa and than some after that, they are still way too passive, we have only one fast guy up (Rust) so the other teams can take chances, etc...Grant and Zar are both not good Pkers they are always step behind to cover the shot unless they are deep in their zone where only luck and CDS can save us...so if they keep PK like its now, I don't like our chances...

Tampa is demolishing the league and scoring 4 GPG. Criticizing a 5v3 PP for scoring is certainly bizarre. Not every powerplay looks like our stars. Oops I mean Letang because Malkin and Kessel is funny.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I think this is where we digress....I don't care about points here or points there, but if you tell me that you see somekind of improvement in process, then as you say to each their own....someone says before, this team got all these points basically due to Sid's playing the best hockey ever, last two games against mediocre teams, we won shot attempt battle, (but lost shot battle against Isles if you will) half of the roster still looks like they don't give s..., our vaunted second line cannot leave the NZ with any speed, third line is useless, and these things have been the same for a long time. I think thats where the criticism comes from...So its mostly criticism for the lack of process and what seems retriving to type of game that was different from what excited us for a couple of years under Sully. When the highlight of your game against isles is your goaltender and your shot blocking on PK, then there is something wrong with the process...
If you don't think the team has improved go watch a game from a month ago and then now. Major progress. Not enough to be cup favorites but there is progress and it will continue hopefully and we will also get some key players back over time

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tampa is demolishing the league and scoring 4 GPG. Criticizing a 5v3 PP for scoring is certainly bizarre. Not every powerplay looks like our stars. Oops I mean Letang because Malkin and Kessel is funny.

Few teams employ a defenseman at the point who should be arrested for being a serial shin pad abuser. :laugh:

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
If you don't think the team has improved go watch a game from a month ago and then now. Major progress. Not enough to be cup favorites but there is progress and it will continue hopefully and we will also get some key players back over time
fair enough, i will respond to you after this stretch of four games, CHI BOS LAK and ANA

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Few teams employ a defenseman at the point who should be arrested for being a serial shin pad abuser. :laugh:
He hates these shins! Stay away from the shins!

iu

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

What was our PK ranked before the Selke Nominee Zach Aston-Reese joined it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad