Post-Game Talk: Penguins 2, Islanders 1 (OT) - CDS Saves Dead Team Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I'm not sure whether it was the ice or the fact that the Clutch-and-Grab-is-OK memo went out to the refs roundabout December 1, but that game was pretty brutal to watch. DeSmith was great. Other than that, two so-so teams. Defense was OK, other than Dumo having a rough game for him. It is kind of funny watching the other team forget about/ignore him in the offensive end when he's on the ice with L1 and 58.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have to say, if I'm coaching then I scratch Rust at the earliest opportunity. He needs a serious wake up call. I don't really care about his production, slumps happen, but he looks like a guy mailing it in. It's a sharp contrast to the style that got him here.

Call up DiPauli and give him a cup of coffee. Maybe it will drive it home for Rust to see his clone take his spot.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Some of you guys are pretty rough on the team tonight.

They out chanced NYI and had the better possession numbers at even strength.

Most importantly they won the game
Do you really think we outplayed them tonight? They dominated us in the first. I personally think they looked much better. Sid, Jake, and Kess were literally the only 3 i felt were good.

I thought desmith saved our bacon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you really think we outplayed them tonight? They dominated us in the first. I personally think they looked much better. Sid, Jake, and Kess were literally the only 3 i felt were good.

I thought desmith saved our bacon.

The first period had 4 penalties, 3 of which were Penguins penalties, so that probably explains why you thought the Penguins got dominated in the 1st.

The team caved the Islanders in terms of possession, with Pearson and Malkin having especially good nights in terms of shot attempts. I really don't get the doom and gloom here. The only line that got worked was the 3rd line, which did as well as you could expect with a struggling Rust and a vanilla ZAR on it.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I have to say the misery of a good portion of the fan base here is really off base. You would think this is the St. Louis forum.

We are one if not the best organization since the 90s. We have had the best player in the game more than every other organization than say Montreal. We’ve won 5 cups. Two recently.

Appreciate what you have. It’s only going to get worse as the core continues to age. The spoiled nature of the fan base is a really bad look.

ps - we won last night.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
ZAR on that one particular penalty kill almost had me tossing my remote at the TV. I believe it was two failed clearing attempts, then he did something else stupid (my brain shut down watching that sequence so I'm drawing a blank on the third mistake he made).

I just don't know what the guy actually does well. If someone says "blocks shots", I swear we're back to the reason why Craig Adams absolutely had to dress every night.

When he was in the slot and attempted to backhand the puck right up the middle and it got picked off? That play?

That was special.

He made that block at the end and like Adams and Glass, the mouthpieces for the org will tell you how that’s a unique skill and it makes him the Ultimate Warrior, robble robble.

Nevermind they literally have half a dozen guys in the A who can do that, but those guys actually bring either speed or actual skill to the table. All the guys I’ve wanted up in his place all kill penalties, and do it just as well as him, but they can all actually create something shorthanded when the opportunities arise. With ZAR, I just hope he doesn’t fall down rushing up ice or lose the puck.

The only positive I can say about ZAR is he’s better than Wilson, but I’m convinced Wilson is out there for comedic relief like Iceburgh.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
People can ***** about my being hard on Brassard as he's our only goal scorer but the dude played a **** game. He thinks he has this skill that he doesn't. He's lazy. He doesn't backcheck hard. He doesn't win battles. He doesn't have the skill to play the game he thinks he can. I'm very disappointed in Brassard. I cannot wait for him to be off this team.

To think on paper he's 3m. Half of Jordan Staal. It sounds like a damn steal. And it isn't. I'd seriously rather take Bonino and know at least you will get what you get.
I wasn't happy with the trade when it happened and it keeps looking worse. How was this guy ever a 50+ point scorer? He's not very good, at all.

Is this what top 6 centers are like when you don't have Sid and Geno? *cry*

Reactions: ColePens

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I have to say the misery of a good portion of the fan base here is really off base. You would think this is the St. Louis forum.

We are one if not the best organization since the 90s. We have had the best player in the game more than every other organization than say Montreal. We’ve won 5 cups. Two recently.

Appreciate what you have. It’s only going to get worse as the core continues to age. The spoiled nature of the fan base is a really bad look.

ps - we won last night.
Most of the doom and gloomers maintained that perspective during the latest cup run all the way thru the final game of the finals. They enjoyed the win then picked right back up where they left off. Such a strange way to be but I wouldn't hold my breath on it to change. Points in 9 of last 11 after losing 9 straight and "we are still horrible". No perspective or appreciation of the process. Hey to each their own right?

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Most of the doom and gloomers maintained that perspective during the latest cup run all the way thru the final game of the finals. They enjoyed the win then picked right back up where they left off. Such a strange way to be but I wouldn't hold my breath on it to change. Points in 9 of last 11 after losing 9 straight and "we are still horrible". No perspective or appreciation of the process. Hey to each their own right?
This is anecdotal and mostly irrelevant but you reminded me of one of my favorite posts on this board.

When we were getting our ass kicked in Game 3 vs. Ottawa, someone said "I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this team." The defending champs, in Game 3 of the ECF, with the series currently tied, and they were embarrassed to be a fan. Classic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wow, this is called:

tenor.gif

And you get a bunch of likes for it? Shocker.

What the hell does him "beating up a woman" or reminding you of MAF have to do with his performance. Right now he's one of the best goalies in the league. We'd be a last place team without him.

But what do I know? I've only been watching hockey since the 80's. :dunno:

A last place team without him? Lol that's some major hyperbole.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think this is where we digress....I don't care about points here or points there, but if you tell me that you see somekind of improvement in process, then as you say to each their own....someone says before, this team got all these points basically due to Sid's playing the best hockey ever, last two games against mediocre teams, we won shot attempt battle, (but lost shot battle against Isles if you will) half of the roster still looks like they don't give s..., our vaunted second line cannot leave the NZ with any speed, third line is useless, and these things have been the same for a long time. I think thats where the criticism comes from...So its mostly criticism for the lack of process and what seems retriving to type of game that was different from what excited us for a couple of years under Sully. When the highlight of your game against isles is your goaltender and your shot blocking on PK, then there is something wrong with the process...

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ok...so while Brass is here (still think he’ll be traded) it’s quite clear by now that he sucks at handling the defensive zone minutes Sully wants to bestow on L3...not that he was great with Sid, but he’s much better in an offensive role...given that, and assuming Simon and Horny are back Wednesday, why not go....

Brass-Sid-Phil
Jake-G-Horny
Pearson-Sheahan-Simon
ZAR-Grant-Rust
I like this. Brassard showed some jump on Sid's wing. And you can flip Kessel and Simon if a shake-up is needed considering the inexplicable chemistry Sheahan/Phil showed last year. Also, I'm in favor of anything that could get Sheahan to be a more effective athlete than the QWOP guy

Reactions: Andy99

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

ps - we won last night.

I'd say that, in a vaccuum, your perspective is the right one.

However, we have a GREAT core who should contend for at least for 3 or 4 more years. Key word being contend. They might not win another one and, at the end of the day, that's perfectly fine, the Sid and Geno era is already a huge success. But, and that's a huge but, I would expect them to look like the contender they should be. I would hope that management would make the right moves to make sure we have at least a few more shots at Stanley. We might not win, but I'd hope at least 2 or 3 more runs where it looks like we have a real chance.

What's frustrating about this year is the incompentence and the lack of urgency. They will probably turn it around, but it is still frustrating and I understand fans to want more PRECISELY because we know the end of THIS run with Sid and Geno is closer than we would like to admit. We were lucky enough to get FOUR top 20 players all time in the last 30 years in an age with a draft AND free agency AND, for the last 13 years, a salary cap. We got 5 cups out of it and, outside of the X-Generation years, playoffs in pretty much every season. We indeed have been extremely lucky. However, I must repeat, it is not being spoiled than to expect that a team that has potential to contend indeed contends.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

However, we have a GREAT core who should contend for at least for 3 or 4 more years. Key word being contend. They might not win another one and, at the end of the day, that's perfectly fine, the Sid and Geno era is already a huge success. But, and that's a huge but, I would expect them to look like the contender they should be. I would hope that management would make the right moves to make sure we have at least a few more shots at Stanley. We might not win, but I'd hope at least 2 or 3 more runs where it looks like we have a real chance.

What's frustrating about this year is the incompentence and the lack of urgency. They will probably turn it around, but it is still frustrating and I understand fans to want more PRECISELY because we know the end of THIS run with Sid and Geno is closer than we would like to admit. We were lucky enough to get FOUR top 20 players all time in the last 30 years in an age with a draft AND free agency AND, for the last 13 years, a salary cap. We got 5 cups out of it and, outside of the X-Generation years, playoffs in pretty much every season. We indeed have been extremely lucky. However, I must repeat, it is not being spoiled than to expect that a team that has potential to contend indeed contends.

The funny part is the games we are losing that we should be winning are because an underperforming powerplay that is letting in multiple goals and OTLs.

This season’s results are 75% on the stars despite how good they’ve been offensively. That is why Sullivan is commending last night’s performance because it is so rare to see. People want to pretend our offense was go go go in the back to back. Truth is it was a lot more moments like last night on the PK.

We out possessed the Isles and Ottawa. This was in terms of “method” a textbook 15-16 game.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

100%. And this isn’t a HFBoards thing, it is a Pittsburgh thing. People are also underrating how badly our depth is harmed by Simon and Hornqvist going down and Rust being a disappearing act. That gives us basically three NHL wingers and Pearson isn’t going to drive a line.

It is why I was able to get tickets to Game 5 for under 200 bucks.

Insanity. People want to make fun of Sharks fans. The tickets to those games were 800.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The first period had 4 penalties, 3 of which were Penguins penalties, so that probably explains why you thought the Penguins got dominated in the 1st.

The team caved the Islanders in terms of possession, with Pearson and Malkin having especially good nights in terms of shot attempts. I really don't get the doom and gloom here. The only line that got worked was the 3rd line, which did as well as you could expect with a struggling Rust and a vanilla ZAR on it.

So once again - they earned powerplays. And IMO - they earned them. They were playing harder than us. I felt like we barely had a chance in the first period if it wasn't the sid line.

Why are we ignoring that?

Reactions: canadianguy77

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And weirdly the adjustment in the 3rd period, IMO, dropped the Sid line just a tad, as Kessel was dominating with that group but it only gave us one line. I thought the change from Sheahan to Kess on L2 REALLY sparked L2 in the 3rd period. So it was a very small sacrifice to Sid's to gain Geno's in a big way. And the 3rd line was utterly useless as normal.

But I still thought the Isles deserved that game.

Reactions: canadianguy77

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Well the players aren’t fans and they get paid whether they win or not. People continually crap on our young guys but it’s our stars that are complacent. But hey they’ve given us enough.

How do people here want this run to end? Did the redwings do it right losing to us then fading? Cause I know there fans are still bitter and full of excuses.

Other teams got better via the draft and parity. It’s the way of the league.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So once again - they earned powerplays. And IMO - they earned them. They were playing harder than us. I felt like we barely had a chance in the first period if it wasn't the sid line.

I don’t think anyone is ignoring that. But, if the game was based on consistent play in one period, the Penguins never win a cup.

That has always been the difference between us and Chicago. Chicago dominated, we won. This team is notoriously complacent and that has always come from our stars.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Because it's not statistically supported, like a majority of the overreactions on this site. The 3 penalties in that period against the Penguins was a late hit by Johnson, a Malkin hold in the offensive zone and a slash by Oleksiak. The Oleksiak penalty was the only penalty that came from the Islanders outworking the Penguins, the other 2 were just undisciplined penalties by Penguins players.

The Islanders dominated the Penguins for about 10 minutes in the 1st period, from about the 5 minute mark to the 15 minute mark. The rest was either even or all Penguins.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
People can ***** about my being hard on Brassard as he's our only goal scorer but the dude played a **** game. He thinks he has this skill that he doesn't. He's lazy. He doesn't backcheck hard. He doesn't win battles. He doesn't have the skill to play the game he thinks he can. I'm very disappointed in Brassard. I cannot wait for him to be off this team.

To think on paper he's 3m. Half of Jordan Staal. It sounds like a damn steal. And it isn't. I'd seriously rather take Bonino and know at least you will get what you get.

Perhaps a more objective critique of Brassard's talents and skills:

Derick Brassard plays key role for Penguins in shootout win on Long Island

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad