Prospect Info: Penguins #1 prospect 2015

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
That is easily the worst group of prospects in the NHL and the worst I've seen on any team in a long time.

Murray put up awesome numbers on a team where Jeff Zatkoff also put up awesome numbers in previous years. Jeff Zatkoff is terrible. With that said, I like Murray but I'm not sold on him. I don't know if he has to mobility for the NHL. Before you rage out, I'm NOT saying that he doesn't, I'm just saying that I'm not sure. If he has respectable numbers under a different system and continues to refine his game, I'll be very happy. Goalies are the toughest to predict, by far.

Sundqvist gets my vote, since I think he has everything to be a respectable 3rd/4th line guy.

I don't think much of Dumoulin, who looks like a poor man's Ryan Whitney. Sincerely hope to be wrong on that one.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
1) Murray
2) Dumoulin
3) Sundqvist
4) Sprong
5) Wilson
6) Rust
7) Jarry
8) Simon
9) Tiffels
8) Guentzel
9) Archibald
10) Blueger
11) Uher
12) Taylor
12) Segalla
13) Macaroni
14) Zlobin

after that, who really cares. Hopefully Lindo, Zlobin, Pavlychev, Lafferty and others may establish themselves, but no one else is even a decent bet to be a good player in the AHL.
I know people on this board are very high on him.However,he has been regressing every year since Shero drafted him.Shouldn't be in top 10 and honestly he's too short to be an NHL goalie imo.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I know people on this board are very high on him.However,he has been regressing every year since Shero drafted him.Shouldn't be in top 10 and honestly he's too short to be an NHL goalie imo.

Um... he listed at 6'2". You could say that's inflated, but that would also apply to the other NHL goalies listed at 6'2" or under, like Marc-Andre Fleruy, Jonathan Quick, or Henrik Lundqvist.

If he doesn't make the NHL, that certainly won't be why.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Absolutely Murray.

If you go by trade value. Not that any of our guys have much, but reportedly, that season in the A put him on the map with a lot of GM's, (as far as getting their attention.) Now it depends on what he does this year, of course. But he has the biggest profile of any of our prospects with that tremendous year for WBS.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
1. Murray
2. Sundqvist
3. Dumoulin
4. Jarry
5. Sprong
6. Guentzel
7. Rust
8. Wilson
9. Blueger
10. Simon
11. Archibald
12. Segalla
13. Marcantuoni

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Um... he listed at 6'2". You could say that's inflated, but that would also apply to the other NHL goalies listed at 6'2" or under, like Marc-Andre Fleruy, Jonathan Quick, or Henrik Lundqvist.

If he doesn't make the NHL, that certainly won't be why.

No way he's that tall.
tumblr_n8tgp5CdHI1r4gyjbo1_540.jpg

I think he's around 6'-6'1".(Zlobin 5'11,Kap 6')

NHL is trending toward larger goaltenders.Most of the young star goalies/star goalie prospects are big kids.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That is easily the worst group of prospects in the NHL and the worst I've seen on any team in a long time.

It is pretty bad. When I was reading over the list of options in order to vote, it struck me that the players listed would look like what another organization's prospect pool looked like after they'd already voted for 6 or 7 of their prospects off the list.

When you look at what's in the system, you realize that the Pens' window will last only as long as Sid/Geno (and their core guys) are in their primes. There's nothing in the pipeline to take over after those guys are gone (nothing like how Detroit was able to transition from Yzerman/Fedorov to Datsyuk/Zetterberg to Nyqvist/Tatar).

IMO, about 5 or 6 guys who even have an outside shot at being NHL regulars, and none of them likely star or top line players.

Ended up voting Dumoulin. Goalies are just way too unpredictable. More than any other position, they could go from all-star numbers to numbers that suggest they couldn't stop a beach ball within the span of one season.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

are you judging that based on his hockeydb listed save%? my guess is yes and you know little to nothing about him and his development.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
#1 prospect as in most nhl ready or #1 as in highest theoretical ceiling?

Well 'prospect' I think is the way to judge it. Who has the best prospective potential.

Just because Dumo is NHL now doesn't make him our best prospect. It makes him the first to graduate.

That is my take on it anyway.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

How exactly did Jarry regress in 2013-14 - first one after he was drafted? He made a succesful switch from a backup to starter. In his first season as a starting goalie he led WHL in GAA, was a first All-Star team goalie in his conference in WHL and led his team to WHL championship and also to Memorial Cup. Jarry's first season after being drafted was a highly succesful one.

His numbers did regress last year since the team infront of him got a lot worse but still again he was a 1st All-Star team goalie in his conference in WHL. So he wasn't bad last season.

Jarry is easily a top-10 prospect in our system.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Well 'prospect' I think is the way to judge it. Who has the best prospective potential.

Just because Dumo is NHL now doesn't make him our best prospect. It makes him the first to graduate.

Prospects are graded via their ultimate potential x probability of reaching that level. ;)

It is Matt Murray, huge gap, then Oscar, then Dumo, then nothing IMO. Murray should make the backup position on the Pens IMO. If he doesn't, then I fear that he gets washed away behind that poor WBS team. We'd probably trade him for a deadline rental bottom 6 guy.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Prospects are graded via their ultimate potential x probability of reaching that level. ;)

It is Matt Murray, huge gap, then Oscar, then Dumo, then nothing IMO. Murray should make the backup position on the Pens IMO. If he doesn't, then I fear that he gets washed away behind that poor WBS team. We'd probably trade him for a deadline rental bottom 6 guy.

Why do you think WBS is going to be a poor team?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I usually at least vote top 5ish. But this group is such a crapshoot.

I mean... I dunno... Sundqvist? Who projects as a solid third liner? Terrific. Sprong seems very boom-or-bust, to me. So I'm not too sure where to place him. Dumoulin seems too "established" to me... so I don't know how much I like his headroom to develop further.

As has been said already... I feel like goaltenders are too much of a wildcard to vote them too highly. But I mean... with this shallow of a pool, I can see why people would go with Murray what with his most recent accomplishments.

Those four seem like the only thing of real interest on this list, IMO -- Sundqvist, Sprong, Dumoulin and Murray. I'm really hoping a couple of guys can kind of come out of nowhere and establish themselves. The Penguins need some sleeper picks to pan out.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yep goalies are a crap shoot to me, such a goofy position. Thiessen and curry looked like they would be regular nhl goalies and look how that worked out.

Meanwhile you have a goof like Thomas who comes out of nowhere in his late 30s and wins two vezinas, a conn smythe, and a cup.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Have to go with Murray. Nobody in our system has done what he did last season in the AHL for a long time. The most impressive first pro season for a Pens prospect since Geno's rookie year.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Maybe I'm just getting old enough that 6 years doesn't feel like that long of a time anymore, but I'm pretty sure the 2009 group was worse. The 2011 group wasn't so hot, either.

Of course, the Pens haven't really had a great prospect pool since, oh, about 2006.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This isn't as depressing a list as it was in say, 2002. The Pens already have four of the very best at their positions players on their roster, with talented complimentary players like Hornqvist and Perron, plus some promising young talent like DP and Maatta.

They only need to get a couple of role players and some depth blueliners out of this prospect pool. Back in 2002, we were talking about the likes of Beech, Kraft, Lupy, Sivek, Koltsov, etc taking over for Jagr, Lemieux, Kovy, etc.

It was ****ing sad and depressing.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
#1 prospect as in most nhl ready or #1 as in highest theoretical ceiling?

Highest ceiling is the primary metric (probably 75% of the equation). The NHL readiness is what helps distinguish certain guys from other guys of similar upside, but who are farther away and may not be sure things. So, if you look at my list for example, Dumo is the most NHLnready, but he's not #1 because Murray has higher upside and has performed extremely well at the pro level. I have Sunqvist over Sprong because the former is a sure bet to play in the NHL even though Sprong has higher upside. But I have Sprong ahead of guys like Rust and Wilson, who are also sure bets to play, but at this point don't quite appear to have the upside potential of a guy like Sprong or even Sundqvist. Anyway, hope that makes sense and that's how I evaluate these guys.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I think you need to take into account the probability that they ever reach their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad