Prospect Info: Penguins #1 prospect 2015

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
It is this time of year again. Draft is in the books, prospect camp is over, nothing else going on hockey-wise. No choice but to rank our top 20 prospects then. :)

I'll consider Pouliot graduated to the NHL as that's clearly where he'll play next season. If we did include him he'd easily go #1 anyway. With Kapanen and Harrington traded this means we lost our top 3 from last summer. Also gone are Megna and Samuelsson. Newly eligibles are Sheary, Biggs and our 2015 draft class. I'll also keep Dumoulin and Rust around for one last poll. Starting with the top 9 remaining from last year plus Sprong.

How you weigh upside vs. readiness is entirely up to you. Optionally write in who you want added for the next round. Polls are open 48 hrs, if one is too close to call there'll be a 24 hr runoff. So have at it, ladies and gentlemen. Where will Sprong enter the race? How high will Murray go after 9th place last year and being unranked the year before? Where will Dumoulin end up now that he's the last D standing? Will Kühnhackl make a comeback into the top 20? Will Simon immediately make the top 10? Will there even be any names left after we hit #15 or so?

Previous polls:
2014 (Pouliot, Kapanen, Harrington)
2013 (Pouliot, Määttä, Harrington)
2012 (Morrow, Despres, Dumoulin)
2011 (Despres, Tangradi, Bennett)
2010 (Tangradi, Despres, Bennett)
2009 (Tangradi, Despres, Caputi)
2008 (Goligoski, Caputi, Jeffrey)

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thanks Burgs.

opsy. Dumoulin. Don't see him being sent down, and really don't see Pouliot doing that either.

Sundy for the readiness.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
I have gone with Murray because I see him as a potential future no1 goalie.

Dumoulin ran it close but I have never been overly impressed with him at NHL level. I hope he can prove me wrong as he is going to be on the big club all year this season but I am very excited for Murray being able to comfortably work with MAF in 2016/17 and then take the reigns in the year or 2 after that.

Add - Dominik Simon, really excited for him too!

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Went with Sundqvist. He is the most NHL ready and still has enough upside that he could be a great third line center or a complimentary top six winger.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Murray, he might not be ready for NHL time, but he's got the best potential and the most likely to reach it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sundqvist vs Murray. Only went with Sundy because he will likely be a NHL player making an impact quicker than Murray.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
I really cant vote for anyone beside Matt Murray. He might not be first of them to reach NHL, but he is most promising currently.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Murray for the potential. Amazing, record breaking season in AHL in first year as a pro is something that can't be ignored.

Add Wilson.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I really like Sundqvist. But how can you not vote for Murray?

AHL rookie of the year.

Voted AHL top goalie.

12 shutouts, more than any other rookie goaltender in AHL history.

Longest shutout streak by a goaltender in the AHL.

All done while our NHL ready backup goalie for next season struggled on the same team.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Lock this one down for Murray already but i hope we can see a little more of the Spronger in real hockey situations before we Sundqvist him over.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Will he even get close to Zatkoff esk numbers with most of the good D gone though?

That's what I think it would take for me to nominate him the top spot.

One season of work should be tempered. For a goaltender no-less.

Crazy that we put that much stalk in a ? that big.

What if he flops badly?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Will he even get close to Zatkoff esk numbers with most of the good D gone though?

What if he flops badly?

Does it matter that much what his stats look like especially when we are comparing him to Zatkoff who is decidedly horrid at NHL level?

Obviously the better the stats the better the goalie but if we are expecting horrible D then we can expect some less favourable stats. It's how much he develops and how good he plays that will count.

Will I get shot for mentioning how Marty Brodeur had a GAA of 4.03 and Save% of .884 in his first year as an AHL goalie then the next year played 47 games in the NHL with GAA 2.40 and Save% .915.

Don't get me wrong, I do expect him to put up some very favourable numbers this year but it's not all about the numbers.

Also, if he flops badly, something tells me we won't miss out on our scouting bonuses here at HFBoards.....

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
How is Dumoulin losing this?

I think mainly because people are so excited by Murray whereas Dumoulin has nort shown the level of potential that we hoped.

Hopefully he will quietly step in to the breach and do a solid job as 5/6 D this year and graduate to a solid 2nd pair D the year after...but that is about his upside, Murray is potential starter in 2 years.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Voting for best prospect prospect potential, not who is the closest to being an NHL regular

Sundqvist's potential is a 3C. Dumoulin's is a top 4 D. Murray? I guess that argument can be made.

Should rephrase. How is Dumoulin getting smoked?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

What if he flops badly?

Murray just put up one of the most impressive seasons any our prospects have ever put up in a long time. He didn't dominate some young Junior team, he stepped-up as a rookie and broke records on one of the better leagues. Yeah, he needs to follow through. Yeah, he could flop. But there's been plenty of good goalie prospects that never even bothered to show up in the AHL. And we can't even count how many forward prospects of ours that have done the same.

What I really like about Murray is how he's said all of those accolades don't mean anything to him. All that mattered to him was winning a championship. The kid just wants to compete, get better, and win.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Can't go a year of doing this without people complaining who should and shouldn't be on the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad