Pending A Series Loss, Is the Caps Season Still a Successful One?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Where did I say they'd be considered "failures" if they don't win?

Get off your high horse buddy....

You've still not explained why it is "unlikely" that the Caps lose.......that was my point.

Why use that word? That's a loaded statement, almost like you're looking for a particular response.

In other words.....trollie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Of course! No one expected the Caps to contend again, just like no one expected Vegas in the SCF. I want the Cup badly, but I won't say the season was unsuccessful if we don't get it.

Disagree tbh.

I did have Pitt #1 but I had them as Dark horse #2 in east (maybe #3 after Tampa). There's something about losing at that high level that builds character. I liked the fact that both the Caps AND Ovechkin came into this season with no expectations really (most had written them off) after such a disappointing outcome last year.

I do think there's a ton of pressure on Caps to deliver the cup. I get most didn't see them in the finals - but considering all the great teams they've had in the Ovi era, they really need a cup. A finals and no cup will be disappointing - there's no guarantee you make it back next year (or anytime soon).

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If this season is deemed a success then the last two years are massive failures, especially last year. A loss in the SCF means you just failed not as bad as 28 other teams.

For the Caps sake, I hope they have zero sense of "just happy to be here" and treat this like its there only chance to win.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
6th in league standings. Last Eastern Conference team standing.

How is that not a successful season?

You get to the Finals and you had a successful year. Any other metric and there's only one good team every year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Vegas's season is already a success. There's nothing they can do ( Short of blowing a 3-0 series lead) to diminish that.

What about the Caps? They weren't expected to be here. But they overcame a 2-0 hole to the Jackets, and shutout Tampa in games 6 & 7.

Absolutely a success. Learned how to win series that previously they’d lost. Keeps the Ovy window open for at least 3more years, IMO.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Not a total success but every series win makes the season more of a success. Even if you fall short you have to be able to look back and be proud of what your team did. Only 1 team wins a championship every year, everyone else ends with a loss. If you only celebrate and feel good about championships it seems like being a sports fan would be a bit miserable.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Disagree tbh.

I did have Pitt #1 but I had them as Dark horse #2 in east (maybe #3 after Tampa). There's something about losing at that high level that builds character. I liked the fact that both the Caps AND Ovechkin came into this season with no expectations really (most had written them off) after such a disappointing outcome last year.

I do think there's a ton of pressure on Caps to deliver the cup. I get most didn't see them in the finals - but considering all the great teams they've had in the Ovi era, they really need a cup. A finals and no cup will be disappointing - there's no guarantee you make it back next year (or anytime soon).

Fair enough, I just think that the season isn't a disappointment in the fact that it's a bounce back playoff campaign.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Yes, obviously. The Caps were not cup favourites this year and have been noted by pretty much everyone to have an inferior team (on paper) than in years past.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure how many more kicks at the can they have.

They have to win it all.

It's not a choke or anything, but you have to look at it as an unsuccessful season.

This is the culmination of a decade of building.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Of course! No one expected the Caps to contend again, just like no one expected Vegas in the SCF. I want the Cup badly, but I won't say the season was unsuccessful if we don't get it.

The Caps expectations are ruled by their reputation and history. Any team with a Vezina goalie, the leading scoring defenseman in the league, 2 all star centers and the greatest goal scorer of his era would be considered a competitive team. Should the Caps win this series, they will be a favorite to win again next year

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Tell that to the 95 Red Wings or 2011 Canucks. If there's high expectations for a team ( Not the Caps this season), anything short of a cup can be considered a "Unsuccessful".

The season was a success the moment they beat the Penguins and got to the 3rd round for the first time in 20 years. That they then beat Tampa made all the more successful.

Winning or losing in the finals will define their expectations for next year more than define success in this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad