Recalled/Assigned: Pelletier called up

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sutter gave me the impression that he was irked by fans and management pencilling Pelletier into the team's opening day lineup two years in a row. I suspect his leash will be shorter than Duehr's

Reactions: Boomstick

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Can't wait for his 6 minutes on the 4th line then a week in the press box!
Phillips got screwed by us taking 13 penalties combined in his 2 games, wasn’t much opportunity for him to get minutes to begin with. Pair that with the fact he only got one d-zone draw his entire callup because of an icing, and you start to see why his minutes were so low. He also was responsible for some bad turnovers, including the one that resulted in him taking an offensive zone penalty on the powerplay, which just happened to coincide with him getting relegated to said press box. Pelletier brings a more diverse toolbox, and plays the checking style coaches and especially Sutter will appreciate. Ideally he would get tried immediately with the Huberdeau-Kadri pair and see what he’s capable of. Realistically we are probably looking at a Pelletier-Ruzicka-Lewis 4th line that’s minutes go up or down depending on the game. It actually has a chance to be a pretty effective line as well. There’s really no other open lineup spots without a major shakeup (would love to see a playmaker like Pelletier take Dube’s spot with Lindholm and Toffoli), and that’s not going to happen while the teams been playing well.

I also don’t believe this is his permanent call-up either unless he goes on a Ruzicka-esque offensive run to start. Can’t see management happy to let a 1st rounder toil on a 4th line at his age for too long, and Lucic’s spot is the only top 9 spot open with Ruzicka also deserving of it. This sounds more like a cup of tea in the big leagues so he gets experience against NHLers and learns what he needs to work on, as well as time with our coaching staff.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
excellent-happy.gif

For the love of god please play Jakob with Kadri and Huberdeau.
Duehr should give Lewis some time off on the 4th line.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Coronato is the natural fit for the second line. Pelletier on the other hand, should have been playing next to Backlund all along if the Flames had the slightest understanding of the cap beyond the very very obvious. No Coleman and an extra 4M in cap space; alas for what could have been.

Oh well. Sutter being Dutter probably won't even give Pelletier more than 15 minutes in ice time total.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

I like using stats to paint a picture as much as the next guy, but any stat that says Mangiapane has been our best offensive forwards this season and elite league wide is not a stat I’m putting any weight behind for how our teams doing.

He’s right about Pelletier though, prospects his age aren’t supposed to do what he has been doing.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Dube’s game has been slipping again lately. A Pelletier-Lindholm-Toffoli line has the potential for a lot of goals and great two way play. This news also pretty much confirms who the “kids” Sutter were calling out are with Dube and Zohorna atleast.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018

f***ing joke of a franchise, what the f*** was the point of calling him up to watch them lose another game? Why play the same lineup that just lost to the worst team in the league and a st louis team with 9 regular players injured.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Or being used to incentivize / motivate Dube.

Seems like it might have worked. 2 goals last night.

I honestly don't know what the team is doing this year . It's a big adjustment without JG and MT, and clearly Huberdeau misses Barkov and co. But I am not a fan of what they are doing with the lines on a night to night or week to week basis. But the lines and tactical decisions at least IMO, have been bad.

Personally, I'd have kept Huberdeau and Lindholm tied at the hip from from the start. Lindholm has been good for Toffoli and Dube, but Huberdeau at least needs, IMO at least, someone more like Lindholm than Kadri. When you trade away a player like Tkachuk, and bring in a Huberdeau, you really need to do every single thing to ensure the incoming player, who's been elite level year to year on his previous teams, has the correct partners, and I just do not see that with this Flames team. Really, stick Huberdeau on the top line with Lindholm and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. But I just don't think Kadri is offensive minded enough or talented enough to allow Huberdeau to express his talent to its fullest extent. And that's a waste of an elite level talent.

Anyway, I was excited to see Pelletier this season and while I'm glad they brought him up, I don't get not playing him. At this point, if he can handle it, I would honestly rather see him getting top 6 minutes than Mangi, Coleman, Toffoli, or Lucic. And really, I think he has the skills and abilities to provide the spark this team badly needs. Not that it's guaranteed, but he's a type of high energy, offensive spark plug and I think he would compliment honestly either of the top 2 lines, but my preference would I think be....

Toffoli-Lindholm-Huberdeau
Pelletier-Kadri-Dube

Or if Dube can shift to the left maybe,

Dube-Lindholm-Huberdeau
Pelletier - Kadri - Toffoli

And even though I think I'd prefer Huberdeau and Lindholm together.....Pelletier - Kadri - Huberdeau and then just keep the Toffoli - Lindholm - Dube line together. All though I don't know how much that in particular helps Dube. But if he's just been in a rut, maybe its an unnecessary switch anyway.

Either way ,I think Pelletier is exactly the type of player this team needs in their top 6, at the expense of 2 of Mangi/Coleman/Toffoli. All though, Toffoli has been scoring descent so maybe he should remain in that top 6 out of those 3 if Pelletier was inserted.

Dube though I still have faith in. He's been inconsistent but has shown real glimpses of having at least another level offensively, which I do think he will reach sooner or later. And Pelletier could be that guy to help bring it out of him playing together. But I suppose right now, to an extent, the same can be said about Huberdeau, which I am sure no one expected. But Pelletier to me, not on the same level, but a sort of stylistic replacement for JG, still with a high enough level though. And while he is on the smaller side, he has no problem with contact and dirty areas, which means it easier to fit him wherever in that top 6.

And this team needs to change something, maybe a few somethings, or at this rate they are never going to truly get going.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Fire Sutter, what a f***ing clown lmao

I'm pretty sure he spends most games looking at horses, let alone just his off days. Otherwise he'd see these lines are crap and they need serious adjustment and probably Pelletier given a chance in the top 6 at this point, as I'm sick of seeing any or all of Mangi, Coleman or Lucic with the teams most promising players. I don't dislike Mangi or Coleman, but at the end of the day, I see them ideally with Backlund on a 3rd line. Lucic on the 4th.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3