Confirmed with Link: Pekka Rinne announces retirement from hockey

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Pekka's impact on this team and this city are the true measure of his storybook career. I wonder how many of you are aware that early in his career he was attacked and severely beaten by a gang of thugs in Germany. Not even that deterred him in his eventual success on the ice and in life.

You are close to the right story. It happened in Oulu, Finland in 2006. He was pepper sprayed and attacked when he was out with his friend, who was getting married. He missed half a season in Milwaukee, which is much better than a career ending injury.

http://www.puckagency.com/2011/06/2...hville-predators-pekka-rinne-for-nhl-success/

Last edited:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
495954eef8788f636fdacc50dc707f0e.jpg

Reactions: PredsV82

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Got a text from the organization to buy a commemorative stick, a perfect example of marketing and so the business of hockey goes on. Lets make a few quick bucks while emotions are high. Something makes me think there will be many cases of something else to buy with #35 the first home game, or a night in honor of him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Got a text from the organization to buy a commemorative stick, a perfect example of marketing and so the business of hockey goes on. Lets make a few quick bucks while emotions are high. Something makes me think there will be many cases of something else to buy with #35 the first home game, or a night in honor of him.
No doubt about that.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
You are close to the right story. It happened in Oulu, Finland in 2006. He was pepper sprayed and attacked when he was out with his friend, who was getting married. He missed half a season in Milwaukee, which is much better than a career ending injury.

http://www.puckagency.com/2011/06/2...hville-predators-pekka-rinne-for-nhl-success/
There was another person who was beaten up, though, around the same time. Seems like he was a Swiss or German player. I'd recognize the name if I saw it but I don't remember it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Alexander Sulzer was the guy's name. 2003 draft.

I can not imagine Pekka doing such a thing. I have seen the picture before and questioned it then. Just completely out of character. That would be like ME shooting someone a bird and I have not and never will do that (or litter! I have standards)

Reactions: hockey diva

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I know Pekka is a wonderful soft spoken selfless type of person but let's not act like he's the second coming of christ and wouldn't flip off a camera. This is taking evangelical hero worship a bit far.
Like Christ wouldn't flip off a camera, ha ha! He flipped tables when angry.

I still think it's completely out of character for him to do something like that on camera. Break something, sure. But flip someone off--nah.
But I could be wrong. He does look ever so slightly irritated.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Like Christ wouldn't flip off a camera, ha ha! He flipped tables when angry.

I still think it's completely out of character for him to do something like that on camera. Break something, sure. But flip someone off--nah.
But I could be wrong. He does look ever so slightly irritated.
An official photographer's camera? No
Messing around with a friend taking a picture? Most definitely.

Reactions: Adz and Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He's a nice guy but let's not act like he is a complete angel. To get to this level you gotta have one heck of a competitive streak and that has side effects :p

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
An official photographer's camera? No
Messing around with a friend taking a picture? Most definitely.
Well, that could be.
It's not that I think he's an angel, I hope he's NOT! But that does seem out of character, his public one, anyway...and the picture looks off somehow. I need to get the animators at work to look at it and tell me if the finger is real or fake. They'll know.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
This is a tribute thread; appreciation thread. Some great accolades have been posted. Let’s don’t turn it into significant discussion of a photo that appeared when it shouldn’t have; not on this thread.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
This is a tribute thread; appreciation thread. Some great accolades have been posted. Let’s don’t turn it into significant discussion of a photo that appeared when it shouldn’t have; not on this thread.

I don't disagree that the photo is a distraction, but I thought the thread was about his retirement, not limited to a tribute and appreciation thread.

"Pekka Rinne announces retirement from hockey" is the title, not "Pekka Rinne tribute and appreciation only" thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad