Pegulas need to sell one major team

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If the whole point of hiring a president is to have a smart person to keep your GM from making stupid decisions . . . why not just make that person the GM?

When your GM is 2 years into being a GM for a NHL team, you might want someone who is experienced in that sort of business for a sounding board, that has done the job before, but doesn't want to deal with contract negotiations, or drafting, or making trades because they are not interested in the job. He's a guy who keeps the standards of the organization in check, so instead of watching the team's identity and strengths change from GM to GM, which may include a complete tear down and unnecessarily move of players, there's a smooth transition with someone overlooking what it means to be a Buffalo Sabre. Also puts a buffer between an overgrown fanboy from making emotional decisions about wanting certain players gone because of something they said, or stops the owner from having a say on who is the team's coach based on what they did in their careers 30 years ago. It's a good resource for the GM to talk to the PoHO to talk to when something comes up. Where it may be in the betterment of the team to let go of a coach because he's not performing up to task, but the GM is unsure if he should fire the coach, and what he should do next, or keep him. Instead of getting a response from a fan, you're getting a business person grounded in the hockey world.

A President of Hockey Operations isn't for EVERY team, but based on the quality of this team's play/coaching and the comments from ownership it may be necessary for ours. It also allows Terry to do what he does best, any form of success they may have he can come in a celebrate, and when the team sucks, he going back into hiding not fielding questions from our terrible media. There's a guy for that.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Hire someone with experience being an owner?! How is she supposed to do that? The post you quoted says she's asking other owners for advice on being an owner. You can't reasonably hire that.

My brain isn’t functioning today, I just wrote an exam I’ve been studying for, for three weeks non stop. But to my understanding she’s acting president and it sounded to me like she’s asking other owners how to do her job. Expecting your competitors to reveal their secrets is ludicrousy. It’s like saying “hey I’m to cheap to deal with corporate espionage so can you just tell me how you do it?”. If you are going to get into a new line of business, like the Pegulas, you either buyout an existing company for their tech or spend a boat load on recruitment. You’d think the Pegulas have never owned a business before.

The only trophy Kim will ever win being in charge of this team she has already won. The trophy wife.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
My brain isn’t functioning today, I just wrote an exam I’ve been studying for, for three weeks non stop. But to my understanding she’s acting president and it sounded to me like she’s asking other owners how to do her job. Expecting your competitors to reveal their secrets is ludicrousy. It’s like saying “hey I’m to cheap to deal with corporate espionage so can you just tell me how you do it?”. If you are going to get into a new line of business, like the Pegulas, you either buyout an existing company for their tech or spend a boat load on recruitment. You’d think the Pegulas have never owned a business before.

The only trophy Kim will ever win being in charge of this team she has already won. The trophy wife.

Aside from the needlessly sexist closing you're missing an important part. The owners aren't exactly competing against each other the way the teams are. They're more of a trade cartel. There's vested interested in helping the league succeed.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Completely baffling looking at the crap the Pegulas get. Gollisano and freaking John Rigas were much better owners right? I mean, the Sabres did go to the playoffs with both owners.

The Pegulas have dumped gobs of money into downtown Buffalo, built the Harbor center, kept the Bills from moving, and some posters call them names like children? Cute.

I mean, one of the new posters here DID say just move the team to Hamilton...

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Aside from the needlessly sexist closing you're missing an important part. The owners aren't exactly competing against each other the way the teams are. They're more of a trade cartel. There's vested interested in helping the league succeed.

Ok let’s put the sexism aside because this is not the place for that and that’s my bad. What qualifications does Kim have to run a sports franchise? Not just one but multiple at the same time? Can we expect her to learn from other owners what it’s has taken others decades of playing, schooling, and experience to learn?

Reactions: Smile Ivan

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Ok let’s put the sexism aside because this is not the place for that and that’s my bad. What qualifications does Kim have to run a sports franchise? Not just one but multiple at the same time? Can we expect her to learn from other owners what it’s has taken others decades of playing, schooling, and experience to learn?

I'm not really sure anyone goes to school to own a billion dollar sports empire, but she appears to have held a series of important executive positions in their Natural Gas Company. So I'd assume it's a lot like running an energy company except with more cliches and ex athletes hanging around.

High performance at the C-suite level usually comes in concert with mentoring either formal or informal. This sort of networking would be expected after anything past entry level business.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
What “qualifications” does ANY pro sports owner have other than having >$1 billion dollars?

Or possibly inheriting the franchise from a deceased parent?

Well most of the wealthy owners pay people to actually run these things; they don't do it themselves. Kim is doing it herself, and of course, her qualifications for that type of work are ZERO.

A few owners like to muck it up and play "sports executive" but those tend to be the worst owners universally hated by their own fans.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I'm not really sure anyone goes to school to own a billion dollar sports empire, but she appears to have held a series of important executive positions in their Natural Gas Company. So I'd assume it's a lot like running an energy company except with more cliches and ex athletes hanging around.

High performance at the C-suite level usually comes in concert with mentoring either formal or informal. This sort of networking would be expected after anything past entry level business.

I am genuinely curious as to which positions she held in the natural gas company because I can’t find any info on that.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Jesus...this organization is being run by smart business minds who just don't know sports. They're so out of touch.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Jesus...this organization is being run by smart business minds who just don't know sports. They're so out of touch.

I think that's mostly correct. The organization is being run by smart business minds who would like to play with their toys.

A big part of me digs that motivation, It creates a lot of blank spaces where we, what could only be described as smarks, fill in parts we will never have adequate information about. Early returns suggest TP is not good at being an interventionist owner.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I am genuinely curious as to which positions she held in the natural gas company because I can’t find any info on that.

Ms. Kim S. Pegula serves as President and Chief Executive Officer of Pegula Sports & Entertainment (PSE) since 2014. Ms. Pegula is the Owner of Buffalo Bills, LLC. She has been a Director at Republic Services, Inc. since July 31, 2017. Ms. Pegula serves as Chief Operating Officer of East Management Services and East Asset Management since 2010. Ms. Pegula served as Communications and Investor Relation Director at East Resources, Inc. from 1991 to 2010. Ms. Pegula serves as Owner and member of the Board of Governors at National Hockey League since 2011. Ms. Pegula has been Owner and member of the Business Ventures at National Football League since 2017.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

She has a degree in communications.

Reactions: Goathead

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
What “qualifications” does ANY pro sports owner have other than having >$1 billion dollars?

Or possibly inheriting the franchise from a deceased parent?

Billionaire sports owner don’t need qualifications. But most of the time they would appoint someone with experience to run the team. I mean if I was rich and bought a team it would be in hope of winning. Clearly that doesn’t matter to terry.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Ten years ago, the Bills were mired in a cycle of terrible coaches and bad GMs, with Mr. Wilson out of touch, and the fans hoping the team wouldn't move after he passed.

Ten years ago, the Sabres were reeling from an owner who saw the bottom line and a team President who emplaned stupid rules and let two star centers walk and then traded their star defenseman.

Things suck right now but......

The teams aren't moving anywhere.
The Bills have a young QB, good coaches, and good management.
The Sabres have stars locked in a key positions.

Sign me up for now.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ten years ago, the Bills were mired in a cycle of terrible coaches and bad GMs, with Mr. Wilson out of touch, and the fans hoping the team wouldn't move after he passed.

Ten years ago, the Sabres were reeling from an owner who saw the bottom line and a team President who emplaned stupid rules and let two star centers walk and then traded their star defenseman.

Things suck right now but......

The teams aren't moving anywhere.
The Bills have a young QB, good coaches, and good management.
The Sabres have stars locked in a key positions.

Sign me up for now.

This thread is a typical knee jerk reaction to what has been a freak season for the Sabres.

I honestly think getting rid of Housley & employing a respected, experienced coach will solve many problems.

The Sabres are nowhere near as bad as recent results would suggest IMO. While the Bills look in great shape - McBeane have a long term plan & so far they are executing.

Im sickened by how this season is turning out for the Sabres but moronic comments / takes don't help anyone.

Member 308457

Ms. Kim S. Pegula serves as President and Chief Executive Officer of Pegula Sports & Entertainment (PSE) since 2014. Ms. Pegula is the Owner of Buffalo Bills, LLC. She has been a Director at Republic Services, Inc. since July 31, 2017. Ms. Pegula serves as Chief Operating Officer of East Management Services and East Asset Management since 2010. Ms. Pegula served as Communications and Investor Relation Director at East Resources, Inc. from 1991 to 2010. Ms. Pegula serves as Owner and member of the Board of Governors at National Hockey League since 2011. Ms. Pegula has been Owner and member of the Business Ventures at National Football League since 2017.

Attachments

• heavy_medal_7143.jpg
    heavy_medal_7143.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Buffaloed

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Which is probably why she was applying for a waitress job at the restaurant Terry was eating in when he offered her a job on the spot.

That or the rise in unemployed during the 2001 recession.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I think that's mostly correct. The organization is being run by smart business minds who would like to play with their toys.

A big part of me digs that motivation, It creates a lot of blank spaces where we, what could only be described as smarks, fill in parts we will never have adequate information about. Early returns suggest TP is not good at being an interventionist owner.

The guy just needs to be that hands-off figurehead, stop delegating things to his wife who thinks the playoffs are called the "Stanley Run", and stick to making the surrounding institutions profitable for the benefit of the organization. He did a fantastic job with the Harbor Center and has had other ventures since then. We needed him to keep the team here a number of years ago, but now he should mostly step aside.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The guy just needs to be that hands-off figurehead, stop delegating things to his wife who thinks the playoffs are called the "Stanley Run", and stick to making the surrounding institutions profitable for the benefit of the organization. He did a fantastic job with the Harbor Center and has had other ventures since then. We needed him to keep the team here a number of years ago, but now he should mostly step aside.

I don't disagree with you. It's hard to tell someone who spend that much money they have no right to play with their toy though... even if he seems to be breaking it.

Reactions: Pilut Light

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1