Pegulas need to sell one major team

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
You want them to focus on just one team, while simultaneously harping on them being too involved in sports decisions?

Uhhh

Reactions: Digable5

Member 308457

Pegulas need to sell both major teams

There, fixed it.

I was reading the comments by Terry and Kim yesterday. Terry said his usual dimwitted nonsense, "let's wait and see" and "I don't know." Despite all the failure, he supported Kim as his Football/Hockey Czar. Laughably, Kim is going around the NFL asking other owners how they do it. Kim, do you really think the other owners will reveal their secrets it took them years to learn and tell you how they do it -- and encourage you to be anything other than a doormat?

Kim basically admitted that she is inexperienced and knows very little and is relying on other owners who help her learn on the job. This is not a good place to start, especially when owning two major league teams, let alone one.

I think they're starting to find out that Buffalo is a tough crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Terry and Kim Pegula are the two greatest things to happen to this team and the city of Buffalo in a LONG time. Their investment in both has provided the positive boost that each has needed to take that next level. Just because their hires have failed us, doesn't mean they have.

People are complaining they don't have a "President of Hockey Operations", but who would hire that person? They are good at hiring Presidents of Hockey Operations but not GMs? They had Craig Patrick as a consultant, how did that work out? They had Pat LaFontaine (for 2 days), how did that work out? I am certain they had input from people inside the game when they picked Botterill too. They've tried to buy Babcock. They paid for the Stanley Cup winning Bylsma. They took a chance on the up and coming Housley.

Golisano's teams were successful because of Regier/Ruff and no real thanks to him. I appreciate him "saving the team" but playing under his budget is a big reason they lost "the captains" and not the GM. You want to go back to that type of ownership?

Anyway, the point is, Pegula is the only owner in my history with the Sabres that puts the team success before his pocketbook (legally *Rigas*). The owner's primary job is to pay the bills and they've done that better than we could have ever dreamed. One day they'll get the right GM and coach combo like they have in football and we'll all be happy again and the rest of you will finally appreciate what we have in ownership.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Look, I'm not as anti-Pegulas as many here. Even despite the fact that I personally strongly oppose their political views and the environmental impact of Terry's career. But in spite of all that, I still think they are overall a positive for the franchises, given that they give them stability in Buffalo, remove all threat of relocation, and invest a lot in both facilities for the teams and in the downtown area. I'm not sure you could find another billionaire owner out there that invested in Buffalo that would provide as much stability and resources.

I have to say though, that I was very dismayed about their comments about the Sabres' management.

Terry: "Phil's a young coach and he was a great player. I think he can grow as a coach."

Phil is OBJECTIVELY NOT a young coach. He's 55 years old!!! I don't think he's going to grow or change much at this age and stage of his career. People don't reinvent themselves at age 55. They start thinking about retirement at age 55.

And the fact that he was a great player is completely meaningless. Sports are littered with great players that have been terrible coaches (Wayne Gretzky? Bryan Trottier?) And lots of great coaches were not especially talented players. Scotty Bowman never even played in the NHL.

Kim: " I don’t want to knee-jerk anything. I want to sit down and get the information....We have to make sure the decisions we make are based on sound decisions and that really can’t happen until we get all the information and that’s at the end of the season."

What on earth is she talking about? What information?

What information could possibly be available to them after 82 games that they don't already have after 76 games?

It's not like Game #82 is a magical event that suddenly lifts the veil and opens the eyes and reveals the secrets. Pretty much everything there is to know about this team is already known.

Reactions: Chainshot

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Pegulas need to sell both major teams

There, fixed it.

I was reading the comments by Terry and Kim yesterday. Terry said his usual dimwitted nonsense, "let's wait and see" and "I don't know." Despite all the failure, he supported Kim as his Football/Hockey Czar. Laughably, Kim is going around the NFL asking other owners how they do it. Kim, do you really think the other owners will reveal their secrets it took them years to learn and tell you how they do it -- and encourage you to be anything other than a doormat?

Kim basically admitted that she is inexperienced and knows very little and is relying on other owners who help her learn on the job. This is not a good place to start, especially when owning two major league teams, let alone one.

I think they're starting to find out that Buffalo is a tough crowd.

OMG. Now I am really depressed. Kim Pegula admits she has no clue yet she's running the show?

We are doomed!

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Terry and Kim Pegula are the two greatest things to happen to this team and the city of Buffalo in a LONG time. Their investment in both has provided the positive boost that each has needed to take that next level. Just because their hires have failed us, doesn't mean they have.

People are complaining they don't have a "President of Hockey Operations", but who would hire that person? They are good at hiring Presidents of Hockey Operations but not GMs? They had Craig Patrick as a consultant, how did that work out? They had Pat LaFontaine (for 2 days), how did that work out? I am certain they had input from people inside the game when they picked Botterill too. They've tried to buy Babcock. They paid for the Stanley Cup winning Bylsma. They took a chance on the up and coming Housley.

Golisano's teams were successful because of Regier/Ruff and no real thanks to him. I appreciate him "saving the team" but playing under his budget is a big reason they lost "the captains" and not the GM. You want to go back to that type of ownership?

Anyway, the point is, Pegula is the only owner in my history with the Sabres that puts the team success before his pocketbook (legally *Rigas*). The owner's primary job is to pay the bills and they've done that better than we could have ever dreamed. One day they'll get the right GM and coach combo like they have in football and we'll all be happy again and the rest of you will finally appreciate what we have in ownership.
Puts team success before his pocketbook... What team success are you refereeing to?
We are absolutely awful and a joke around the league.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What on earth is she talking about? What information?

What information could possibly be available to them after 82 games that they don't already have after 76 games?

It's not like Game #82 is a magical event that suddenly lifts the veil and opens the eyes and reveals the secrets. Pretty much everything there is to know about this team is already known.

That sounds like corporate talk for: we know what we're going to do, we're waiting until the end of the season to do it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Puts team success before his pocketbook... What team success are you refereeing to?
We are absolutely awful and a joke around the league.

Since Terry Purchased the Buffalo Sabres (Feb 18th 2011), he has the most losses in the league, and least wins (minus Vegas). Under his ownership, we have been the worst team in the league.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Since Terry Purchased the Buffalo Sabres (Feb 18th 2011), he has the most losses in the league, and least wins (minus Vegas). Under his ownership, we have been the worst team in the league.
"The Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup. We will aspire to be the best in the league at finding, developing and keeping players in the Buffalo Sabres family."

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
"The Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup. We will aspire to be the best in the league at finding, developing and keeping players in the Buffalo Sabres family."

To be fair, they haven't said when that will be at any point.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I may be reading the quotes wrong and haven't listened to the interview, but did Terry justify Jason's GM chops and Phil's coaching chops with the fact that Jason played and won WJC golds, and Phil was a good player?

This guy can't be the guy picking our management

Reactions: sabremike

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I may be reading the quotes wrong and haven't listened to the interview, but did Terry justify Jason's GM chops and Phil's coaching chops with the fact that Jason played and won WJC golds, and Phil was a good player?

This guy can't be the guy picking our management
I'm good at watching the games. Where is the application form on the Sabres website? I can try out as a winger.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
People should be careful what they wish for.

Im not even from the US let alone Buffalo - but if it wasn't for the Pegula ownership one or both teams might not be in Buffalo anymore...

To answer the OP - I think they ate fine owning both teams. They just need to have a management structure in place for both teams - with one person at the top for each.

Those people at the top need to be the right people & have full authority / control of the respective team operations - including hiring firing of GM/coaches /personnel etc.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They seemed to have hit the nail on the head with the Bills GM hire, but I do agree they need someone in charge of hiring a GM in hockey. Just funnel the money into the team. That's literally all they should be in charge of when it comes to what the team needs to be competitive.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oh brother.

Yeah, I wish they’d go back to the Golisano days when our two best players walked out on the same day because we were too cheap to sign them.

The owner isn’t the problem.
We cant relieve them of all criticism. I support the hires they've made for the Bills, but they absolutely deserve criticism for the Sabres debacle. They were the ones who hired Botts and Murray, and it's been a ripple effect of shit since those buffoons took over.

Reactions: Chainshot

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
We cant relieve them of all criticism. I support the hires they've made for the Bills, but they absolutely deserve criticism for the Sabres debacle. They were the ones who hired Botts and Murray, and it's been a ripple effect of **** since those buffoons took over.

Boy, I sure don't support the Bills hires. They needlessly sacrificed an entire season last year and now are all-in on a QB who is not going to make it as a starter in the league.

Expectations will greatly increase this year and when Allen remains about the same, despite added talent around him, excuses given last year will be gone this year. When it becomes clear he ain't the guy, McBeane will be shown the door and we'll start another 3 or 4 year plan with new names.

Eventually, the only constant with both organizations and plenty of futility will be ownership, and then maybe folks will start to catch on.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
People should be careful what they wish for.

Im not even from the US let alone Buffalo - but if it wasn't for the Pegula ownership one or both teams might not be in Buffalo anymore...

To answer the OP - I think they ate fine owning both teams. They just need to have a management structure in place for both teams - with one person at the top for each.

Those people at the top need to be the right people & have full authority / control of the respective team operations - including hiring firing of GM/coaches /personnel etc.

Responses in this thread allow some educated guesses to be made about a person's professional experience.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
We cant relieve them of all criticism. I support the hires they've made for the Bills, but they absolutely deserve criticism for the Sabres debacle. They were the ones who fired Regier and Ruff, and it's been a ripple effect of **** since those buffoons left.

See what happens when one lets the whiner line run a franchise?

Reactions: MajorMinotaur

kp2575

Ray's Pocket Square
Feb 11, 2015
PDX
Marek Zagrapan
Dennis Persson
1 player out of 10 from the 2010 draft to ever play in the NHL
1 player out of 6 from the 2011 draft to play meaningful minutes in the NHL

Yup... totally the Pegulas fault. Horrible owners.

They had a gm that tried to spend their way out of bad drafting initially, then hired a GM that tried to trade their way out of it and burnt through assets, now they hired a GM taking a draft and develop approach. (Which should have been the what the second GM did.)

They are slowly learning and at least attempting to take the right approach even though the execution hasn't been flawless. At least they aren't like Daniel Snyder who hasn't learned shit.

I have issues with them on a lot of levels but the premise of this thread is so reactionary and over the top.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Marek Zagrapan
Dennis Persson
1 player out of 10 from the 2010 draft to ever play in the NHL
1 player out of 6 from the 2011 draft to play meaningful minutes in the NHL

Yup... totally the Pegulas fault. Horrible owners.

They had a gm that tried to spend their way out of bad drafting initially, then hired a GM that tried to trade their way out of it and burnt through assets, now they hired a GM taking a draft and develop approach. (Which should have been the what the second GM did.)

They are slowly learning and at least attempting to take the right approach even though the execution hasn't been flawless. At least they aren't like Daniel Snyder who hasn't learned ****.

I have issues with them on a lot of levels but the premise of this thread is so reactionary and over the top.

I just hate this approach to ownership though. If you don't know what you are doing when running a sports organization, hire the right people to do it and learn alongside them. While the Pegulas have been fiddling around trying to figure out this whole sports team thing, fans have dropped thousands on season tickets just to witness a garbage, over-hyped on-ice product and our years with elite young talent like Jack Eichel are wasting away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad