PeanutButterGate 2016 | Canucks-Panthers 'line brawl' and Potvin comments

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Canucks fan.
Love the Sedins.
Hate Thorton.

I'd guarantee that nothing was said even remotely pertaining to Rypien.

More proof that just when you think you've seen stupid, there's plenty more where that came from.

Mod's I would think anything pertaining to that stupid rumor, including my post, should be deleted.

Lady Scarlet

Sep 20, 2013
Northern BC
Don't think anyone posted this yet:

I had the best seat in the house for what may have been the ground zero of Sedin bashing.

A few notes from Bob McKenzie.

Don't think anyone cared enough about what Potvin said to warrant that paint-by-number apology but whatever.

Thanks for the link to the Bob McKenzie article. He really does say it like it is and for calling a spade a spade.

And I couldn't agree more with your characterization of Potvin's 'paint-by-number apology'. As I was reading it, all I could think of was "And who told him to apologize and what would the repercussions be for him if he didn't" Not feeling a whole lot of sincerity in it at all.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, that apology sounds pretty lame, but I guess any apology at this point would. I'd rather he just explain what the **** he meant with the peanut butter thing lol

Also, that's a great article from Bob McKenzie. The best part:
Daniel's game-winning goal in overtime against the Florida Panthers on Monday, and his subsequent celebratory fly-by of the Panther bench and stare-down of Shawn Thornton (who had apparently prefaced overtime by making some "inappropriate" comments to the twins that infuriated them) — was a great mic drop moment, Swedish style.

You talk a good game; I play one. Boom. Game over.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Thanks for the link to the Bob McKenzie article. He really does say it like it is and for calling a spade a spade.

And I couldn't agree more with your characterization of Potvin's 'paint-by-number apology'. As I was reading it, all I could think of was "And who told him to apologize and what would the repercussions be for him if he didn't" Not feeling a whole lot of sincerity in it at all.

I'm willing to bet he says something more 'sincere' on air tonight

It's potvin. He probably hates having to apologize

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I'm willing to bet he says something more 'sincere' on air tonight

It's potvin. He probably hates having to apologize

Ugh, honestly, someone needs to tell him not to bother. I would rather he just stuck by his guns to be honest, this is entertainment after all and it least it wouldn't be phoney.

Sedins left it on the ice, don't understand why everyone else can't do the same.

eeddieedwards

Jul 22, 2009
Good on Potvin for apologizing. He acted unprofessionally, but it was heat of the moment so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ugh, honestly, someone needs to tell him not to bother. I would rather he just stuck by his guns to be honest, this is entertainment after all and it least it wouldn't be phoney.

Sedins left it on the ice, don't understand why everyone else can't do the same.

Probably because for Potvin it was never on the ice, he said his stupidity on the air for the public to hear.

Most likely is that his employer told him to apologize before it got even bigger and he was asked to explain what he meant by the peanut butter comments.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I agree with this actually. It was made a bigger deal than it should have.

to be honest, i dont think it gathers as much steam if he didnt day the peanut butter thing

IslesGM

Jan 4, 2011
Bertuzzi has been suspended 10 games for leaving the bench to start a fight. That's two dumb mistakes.

He left the bench to save Jovo who was getting mauled by Scott Parker (a total meathead a la John Scott) against the Avs. He didn't start a fight, he joined one to save a horribly overmatched teammate. A mistake, but he wasn't doing it for a dumb reason. Considering that he came back motivated and serious about being a dominant player (he scored the most NHL goals over the next calendar year after his 10 gamer, except maybe Lemieux), pretty hard to call it a dumb mistake or one he didn't learn from. In a way this woke him up and made him the best powerforward in the NHL.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I didn't want an apology, I wanted an explanation. Its is killing me that I don't know what the whole peanut butter finger thing meant. :cry:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bob McKenzie is such a class act, unlike most of the hacks out there (including our own local press) who just try to stir up controversy. He and Elliotte Friedman are two guys who I really like to listen to.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Bob McKenzie is such a class act, unlike most of the hacks out there (including our own local press) who just try to stir up controversy. He and Elliotte Friedman are two guys who I really like to listen to.

LeBrun too. The 3 Musketeers of insider hockey.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

I love McKenzie but I'm happy that we finally have a guy like Friedman (who I've watched since he was on the Score) who the torch can be passed on to, and who seems to be universally respected.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
We are getting soft as hockey fans. The number of scrums at the end of games have gone way down. And when one occurs with minor pushing and shoving and our idiot analyst's idiotic comments gets blown way out proportion.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
As a Panthers fan, I can tell you although this is negative press for us, it's negative press for Potvin who most of us Panthers fans can't stand anyways. It's why he was fired once and brought back for god knows what reason. So negative press for Potvin is press for the Panthers. So it's fine with me.

As for Dorsett, yeah, *******. You beat us without one of our best players and ended a streak that had to end sometime. Way to chirp the backup goalie, of all people.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
As a Panthers fan, I can tell you although this is negative press for us, it's negative press for Potvin who most of us Panthers fans can't stand anyways. It's why he was fired once and brought back for god knows what reason. So negative press for Potvin is press for the Panthers. So it's fine with me.

As for Dorsett, yeah, *******. You beat us without one of our best players and ended a streak that had to end sometime. Way to chirp the backup goalie, of all people.

Dorsett, while the cause of it escalation, didn't appear to just be trash talking to Montoya. He and Petrovic were reportedly yelling and squirting water, so he went in did what Neanderthals do best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad