GDT: PDSF Game #7 - Sharks vs Kings - Banana! - 7:00pm PST CSN-CA NBCSN KFOX - Part II

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Man, watching the post game interviews...these guys aren't happy at all and rightfully so. Whoever said Marleau was mellow is wrong. The guy is just as upset as the rest of them and they're all owning up to it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There were rumors....

You would normally think it's just a nutjob fan when they say something like "I just saw Weber and Doug Wilson in SJ with an Asian man going into a steak shop", until you realize that the poster was some guy who hardly ever posted, and then we looked up and later found that Weber's agent was indeed an Asian man.

Then after the whole offer sheet situation was resolved, reports came out about San Jose being one of the teams who went after Weber.

Wilson clearly had interest in him. I don't really want Trotz though unless it guarantees us Weber and we wouldn't get him otherwise. And since that probably isn't the case, I don't want Trotz. I don't think his system really works in the new NHL.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Neutral fan here, offering condolences..

I lived in Vancouver the whole time Luongo was on the team and the Canucks and Sharks have way too many similarities..Marleau and Thornton equal the Sedins...wonderful players without the extra gear that gets you really deep in the playoffs...

The Sharks teams that were somewhat different were the ones where you had Rob Blake as captain...

New leaders must be found pronto,,whether it be Couture/Vlasic or someone else.

if you unload them now, you still have chance, wait any longer your the Canucks or the Calgary Flames..pre their rebuild.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Wilson clearly had interest in him. I don't really want Trotz though unless it guarantees us Weber and we wouldn't get him otherwise. And since that probably isn't the case, I don't want Trotz. I don't think his system really works in the new NHL.

He's done pretty well considering his best forwards have been Mike Fisher and David Legwand.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Boston blew a 3-0 lead in 2010 to Philly and then bounced back to win the Cup the next season.

You guys have a real good team and one of the best 5 on 5. Revamp your D core a bit and you'll be one of the favorites next season.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Boston blew a 3-0 lead in 2010 to Philly and then bounced back to win the Cup the next season.

You guys have a real good team and one of the best 5 on 5. Revamp your D core a bit and you'll be one of the favorites next season.

If only we had a goalie of Thomas or Rask's calibre. Niemi needs to be gone.

Oppa

#
Oct 31, 2011
after 2 bottles of soju, I;m starting to think that this series as a fluke... nah

Kappa

Jumbo's Year
May 3, 2010
San Jose, CA
Neutral fan here, offering condolences..

I lived in Vancouver the whole time Luongo was on the team and the Canucks and Sharks have way too many similarities..Marleau and Thornton equal the Sedins...wonderful players without the extra gear that gets you really deep in the playoffs...

The Sharks teams that were somewhat different were the ones where you had Rob Blake as captain...

New leaders must be found pronto,,whether it be Couture/Vlasic or someone else.

if you unload them now, you still have chance, wait any longer your the Canucks or the Calgary Flames..pre their rebuild.

Hey guys. Was rooting for the Sharks in these playoffs, disappointing result to say the least. I hope you guys don't mind a fan from another team dropping his two cents in here. Before Thornton was traded to the Sharks, he had 33 points in 23 games for the Bruins that season. 73 points in 77 games the season before that, and 101 points in 77 games 2 seasons before the trade.

The Bruins GM at the time questioned Thornton's on ice and off ice character even while he was putting up huge numbers. He decided to trade Thornton and build the team around a young Patrice Bergeron, who he thought was much better to lead the Bruins.

I think its time for the Sharks management to realize that as good as Thornton is, and as many points as he puts up, its time to build the team around someone else. Couture, Vlasic, who knows. This is just my 2 cents. Hope you guys have a better year next year.

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts. For some reason your posts hit really close to home and made me feel a lot better. I guess it's nice to hear that other fans out there care and understand what we go through.

I completely agree with both. Joe Thornton isn't and never was leader material. He just doesn't have the will to win when it matters most and is way to inconsistent. I almost feel it's some sort of mental block or the way Thornton's brain seems to work that keeps him from stepping up his game or actually trying/being consistent.

Really hope Doug Wilson and this organization realize that it is time to rebuild this team's leadership around someone else. I would love to see Vlassic as captain, but haven't decided if that is the correct choice or just an emotional choice for me. Hopefully we can bring in some new people with the will and desire to win at all costs.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
good try sharks. but its time to trade/get rid of a few bodies. revamp the defense. find another goalie. core is still young and good. hertl/couture/little joe. and others. would they be willing to trade and eat half of thorton/marleau's salaries for younger players up front or keep them

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
good try sharks. but its time to trade/get rid of a few bodies. revamp the defense. find another goalie. core is still young and good. hertl/couture/little joe. and others. would they be willing to trade and eat half of thorton/marleau's salaries for younger players up front or keep them

We're not trading Thornton to Toronto for Bozak & a 3rd.

ivanchu02

May 3, 2010
I hope they keep McLellan. The guy is obv. a good hockey mind and who else is there to hire, really?

I honestly wouldn't know what to do if I was DW. Making the playoffs every year isn't exactly a bad thing.

McLellan isn't a good hockey mind. Just because you do something different from other teams doesn't mean it's effective. He's also very stubborn and sticks to things that are clearly not working. He also can't recognize and make adjustments when the opposing coaches shutdown their game plan.

McLellan’s passive box PK was revolutionary in how badly it destroyed our PK. While every other team pressured the puck hard and got clears we blocked shots and left passing lanes wide open. It was obvious a few games in that the pro-cess was flawed but he ran it for the whole year and we got lit up every game.

Don’t forget his genius defense in the Blackhawks series and at times the Kings series of fronting the man screening the goalie and trying to block the shot from there to prevent a rebound instead of just tying up the guy from behind like all the other teams do. If the shot gets through, the screener has free reign to poke at the goalie for rebounds.

Also that PP play they ran quite a bit in the regular season and playoffs this year where a cross ice pass is then sent into the slot is a terrible play. There are literally 4 defenders on the guy in the slot blocking the cross pass and tying up the guy’s sticks. That is two low percentage passes that risks a clear or breakaway and the shot is still at an unscreened goalie. That guy in the slot should be screening the goalie and looking for rebounds from point shots. Sure that play looks pretty when it works but you don’t get a bonus goal for style points.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
I hate your guys team more than anything, must be so frustrating as a fan to have to go through this for the past 10 years in the playoffs. Because of my brain thinking Sharks would most def end up losing 3 playoff pools because of it

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
McLellan isn't a good hockey mind. Just because you do something different from other teams doesn't mean it's effective. He's also very stubborn and sticks to things that are clearly not working. He also can't recognize and make adjustments when the opposing coaches shutdown their game plan.

EJ Hradek said if TMac is fired, he will be hired somewhere else in 10 minutes. Said at least 1 team looking for coaches said he would be their first choice.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

You need to look at the Bruins roster in the last 4 games of that series, it was borderline AHL quality.

I also think the Bruins where a 6 seed with that so so team. Sharks are just to good to lose like they did.

Sharks will learn from this and will be better for it.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Guys - B's fan here. Experienced it. IT BLOWS. Keep your head up, it gets better. You'll be here at the bottom of the trench for a while, but before you know it you'll be on top of the clouds. Keep your heads up, Sharks fans.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
EJ Hradek said if TMac is fired, he will be hired somewhere else in 10 minutes. Said at least 1 team looking for coaches said he would be their first choice.

and he should be, hes a decent coach and would make huge differences for some franchises. That said, hes done in SJ, or at least he should be.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The better team won. It just sucks that the Sharks had to give us hope with the first 3 games. Their D was not up to par. I really hope they revamp it in the offseason. Braun, Vlasic and MAYBE Demers (if he gets his head out of his ass) are like the only D we have right now that are worth keeping.

Not cup caliber at all.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

That one team would be Vancouver. Personally, my focus would be on a new GM and fixing the blue line. Everything else is secondary in terms of importance...to me.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The better team won. It just sucks that the Sharks had to give us hope with the first 3 games. Their D was not up to par. I really hope they revamp it in the offseason. Braun, Vlasic and MAYBE Demers (if he gets his head out of his ass) are like the only D we have right now that are worth keeping.

Not cup caliber at all.

The thing about Demers is, are you really gonna find four guys who are better than him? No, you're not. So keep him cause he's pretty good anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad