GDT: PDSF Game 1 - 04.16.14 - at Anaheim - 9:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM/96.7 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorwiN

Oct 23, 2006
Dallas, TX
There are quite a few "Kari!" posts in this thread, he made some great saves tonight. He absolutely was screened on the Anaheim PP goal, there was a camera angle from just behind the shot that clearly showed that. I'd have liked to see him save the first one, but beyond that, I can't fault him for this outcome.

I think Kari should have had the last goal. Screened or not, better positioning would have stopped that shot.

Otherwise I have no serious complaints.

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My final thoughts after taking an hour hiatus to avoid "snap" judgement.

1) First playoff game jitters played more of a part the first period deficit than we thought. It was my hope that Kari would keep us at 0-0 or 0-1 until we got our sea legs under us. He didn't, and we fell by one.

2) The general consensus around most media outlets, our HF message boards, and myself is this--we may have lost the game, but ill be damned if we weren't the team with confidence and momentum heading into game 2 and beyond.

3) As someone who witnessed Kari's first playoff debacle in Atlanta, his ability to rebound from a "meh" first period says wonders about his performance going forward. I don't think any of his goals allowed were "bad goals," per say, but I do think when he's on his game, we're at the very least looking at an overtime hockey game.

4) I couldn't be more exicited for the rest of the series, and the future in general. Our core guys are a boat to watch. I have a feeling big Val is going to to have quite a coming out party for the remainder of the playoffs. The guy is just a blur on the ice, as is the rest of our team.

5) for the love of all things holy, Jim Nill, get us some defenseman. This team could go all the way with just a few guys that don't look absolutely befuddled in the corners and on the blue line. My hate for Goligoski and Rome this game knows no bounds.

See y'all Friday. GO STARS!!!

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
For everyone saying Kari should have had the first one, he played that exactly how he should have. The lone forward was looking like he was going to cut clear across so Kari went post to post to cover the far side. The problem with doing that is when you slide over as a goalie, your 5-hole opens up slightly; there's literally no way around that happening. That's why that's such an effective move, and why people do it so often on breakaways.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Oh, so after he gave the Ducks a 4-0 lead? Lovely.

Jesus h christ. The score was 3-4 at that point. The game was within reach. He made big saves, you said he didn't. Would it have been nice if he could see through a human being and make the save on the 4th goal? I think we'd all like super powers, but it didn't happen. If you want to moan about him not stopping that first goal then we're absolutely done here. That goal was 90% on Rome diving like a 6 year old with an x-box controller.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
You didn't just say he was not good enough.

You said he was the only player to blame for tonight's outcome.

You will see in most of my trade/roster posts that I say we are spending too much time trying to address the 2nd line and need to fix the defense. I definitely think Kari is a great goalie, we just can't ignore when he has a ****** game. Tonight was one of his 5 worst performances of the year IMO

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Jesus h christ. The score was 3-4 at that point. The game was within reach. He made big saves, you said he didn't. Would it have been nice if he could see through a human being and make the save on the 4th goal? I think we'd all like super powers, but it didn't happen. If you want to moan about him not stopping that first goal then we're absolutely done here. That goal was 90% on Rome diving like a 6 year old with an x-box controller.

He absolutely has to make one of the saves on the 1st 3rd or 4th goals, all of which he had a chance to make.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
You will see in most of my trade/roster posts that I say we are spending too much time trying to address the 2nd line and need to fix the defense. I definitely think Kari is a great goalie, we just can't ignore when he has a ****** game. Tonight was one of his 5 worst performances of the year IMO

Right, so the defense is shoddy and could have helped prevent at least 2 goals against tonight but we're going to sweep that under the rug I guess. If the D played even decently on a couple of those goals Kari gives up 2 against we're talking about a guy with a .943 SV%. But since they didn't he had a **** game. Phenomenal logic.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He absolutely has to make one of the saves on the 1st 3rd or 4th goals, all of which he had a chance to make.

Agree to disagree on the 1st goal. That is blown D coverage by a career plug defenseman 101.

Edit: Watching the replays again now...the 4th goal went off the body of the guy who screened him (the one you said wasn't screened).

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I understand the 4th goal was deflected but he made himself as small as possible and wasn't even screened (and if he was he was in position that he should have been able to look around the screen).

When Kari has the angle on the shooter from the point and the puck is coming at his body it's natural for him or any goalie to 'glue' the arms to the side of the body (giving the appearance of making themselves smaller) to keep the puck in front of them for rebound control to give a possibility to make the second save or to smother it. That puck goes off Belesky and to Kari's right. No chance the way I see it... screen or no screen.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Right, so the defense is shoddy and could have helped prevent at least 2 goals against tonight but we're going to sweep that under the rug I guess. If the D played even decently on a couple of those goals Kari gives up 2 against we're talking about a guy with a .943 SV%. But since they didn't he had a **** game. Phenomenal logic.

No, our defense sucks and Kari had a ****** game. Since we know we have a ****** defense, and Kari is good in general, I have higher expectations for him than the defense. Logic is still logical.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
1 goal he had the great -8 Corsi on 9 minutes of ice time Aaron Rome on the ice (plus his buddy Gonch), and another he couldn't even see because of his mask. The other two were PP, but I'll let you have those for your narrative.

Regardless- he shook it off and played like the Kari we know from the 30 mark on. So did the rest of the team. We're winning this in 6. Never have been more sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad