GDT: PDSF Game 1 - 04.16.14 - at Anaheim - 9:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM/96.7 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I just can't have any confidence in this defense. You've got a geriatric, an AHLer, a rookie not even in double digit games played, undrafted untested Jordie, Alex Goligoski (no comment) and Daley. You might be able to stumble through the regular season with that but come playoff time... please.

Imagine what Seguin and Benn could do with a regular defense behind them.

Well Klingberg, Jokipakka, Oleksiak all could make a difference in a few years.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
This place is unusually upbeat, not expecting to find that. I was pretty happy with what I saw, which admittedly is only the 3rd period. Looking forward to seeing them play on Friday.

I hope Getzlaf is OK, and at the same time I hope he isn't. He can still play with a broken jaw right? Plenty of guys have done it.

CorwiN

Oct 23, 2006
Dallas, TX
I (like many of you) had a really, really negative feeling the instant that I heard Rome was in tonight. I just knew we'd be down really quickly, with Rome on the ice.

What I just don't understand is how people who are highly compensated to think about these things failed completely to have that feeling.

I mean I don't want to keep busting on the guy for sucking, but I just don't understand how an NHL coaching/management team could possibly have thought it was a good idea to put him on the ice.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't think this game can be blamed on anyone other than Kari.

That's hilarious. I was thinking while I was watching the game that I've never watched my team get scored on 4 times and feel literally zero worry about the goaltender. Almost every single goal was the fault of the team leaving him out to dry. How can you possibly say this loss is on Kari?

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
That's hilarious. I was thinking while I was watching the game that I've never watched my team get scored on 4 times and feel literally zero worry about the goaltender. Almost every single goal was the fault of the team leaving him out to dry. How can you possibly say this loss is on Kari?

A goalie who wins in the playoffs doesn't give up goals 1, 3, and 4. The second goal may be one he couldn't have done anything about but he didn't attempt to make a save on the rebound. At the very least not all 3 of them. You'd like your goalie to stop at least two of those.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I don't think this game can be blamed on anyone other than Kari.

Hmmm... outside the 3rd goal against, I'm not sure I'd fault him. The 1st would have been a good save and a save we know he can make, the 2nd was just a tough play and the 4th was deflected. I'd heap more of the blame on the D core tonight than I would Kari. :dunno:

Add: and the 3rd goal against would also have been a point blank save while shorthanded while he was moving post to post. It just looked to me like it went right through him somehow and down 2 in the 1st period it's a save he's got to make therefore the only reason I fault him. Seems it was a perfectly placed shot however

Last edited:

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I concede the 2nd goal would have been almost impossible to stop, but every other goal he should have had. My biggest annoyance is the 4th goal when he made himself as small as possible on an incoming point shot on the powerplay, and he wasn't even screened.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
My point is, with this defense, which is a given, you aren't going to win many games, let alone a series, with goaltending as bad as it was tonight. He should have had 3 of 4 of the goals tonight.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I concede the 2nd goal would have been almost impossible to stop, but every other goal he should have had. My biggest annoyance is the 4th goal when he made himself as small as possible on an incoming point shot on the powerplay, and he wasn't even screened.

Looked like Nemeth let the guy in front go completely unmolested. Looked like a screen to me that Nemeth could've prevented.

crymez

Apr 18, 2012
Crosby's Penguins first crack at the playoffs in 2007: got jumped on early in game 1 and lost 4-1 to Ottawa

Chara's Bruins first crack at the playoffs in 2008: got jumped on by Montreal and lost in first round 4-3. 2 years later blow 3-0 lead to Philly

Modano's Stars first crack at the playoffs: 4-3 loss to Edmonton followed by being outclassed by Detroit in the conference semis the following year.

I'm just happy for the playoffs. The only way to win is with experience. And the only way to get experience is to go through the fire. Anaheim is our Ottawa it's only a matter of time.

A couple side notes:

-Jamie Benn looks like he can be the most dominant captain in the league since Messier in '94.

-Gonchar and Horcoff are going to really hurt next year.

-Nemeth has so much potential to be a top 2 dman.

-We're really just a #2 center and a #1 Dman away from being elite.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Crosby's Penguins first crack at the playoffs in 2007: got jumped on early in game 1 and lost 4-1 to Ottawa

Chara's Bruins first crack at the playoffs in 2008: got jumped on by Montreal and lost in first round 4-3. 2 years later blow 3-0 lead to Philly

Modano's Stars first crack at the playoffs: 4-3 loss to Edmonton followed by being outclassed by Detroit in the conference semis the following year.

I'm just happy for the playoffs. The only way to win is with experience. And the only way to get experience is to go through the fire. Anaheim is our Ottawa it's only a matter of time.

A couple side notes:

-Jamie Benn looks like he can be the most dominant captain in the league since Messier in '94.

-Gonchar and Horcoff are going to really hurt next year.

-Nemeth has so much potential to be a top 2 dman.

-We're really just a #2 center and a #1 Dman away from being elite.

This is a good post. I'd add to that that we should probably have our AHL quality defenseman in the AHL.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
That isn't true at all. Were we watching the same game?

What clutch save did he make? Do you expect goaltending that we saw tonight to win any series against any team in these playoffs? If your answer is yes, you are delusional. We don't need to be homers and make excuses for Kari when he has a ****** game, which he definitely did have tonight.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

He was screened on the 4th goal. What are you talking about? And the 1st goal he was left out to dry by his defenseman (Rome).

There are games and goals I will blame on the goalie, but today's game and most of the goals aren't on Kari. The defense was in scramble mode literally from the drop of the puck. How anybody can hang this loss at Kari's feet is beyond me.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
What clutch save did he make? Do you expect goaltending that we saw tonight to win any series against any team in these playoffs? If your answer is yes, you are delusional. We don't need to be homers and make excuses for Kari when he has a ****** game, which he definitely did have tonight.

Was Kari on top of his game? No, obviously not. But to discount the saves he made in the 3rd. And to put the blame ONLY on him as you're trying to do is beyond ridiculous. The defense was absolutely awful.

1st goal was Gonchar and Rome. 2nd goal was Jordie Benn blocked shot, and then Jordie again not backchecking hard enough plus Kari's mask. 3rd goal I thought he had but on a penalty kill and letting a pass across the slot to a guy able to do whatever he wants is on the defense. 4th goal was deflected and Nemeth shouldn't of let him stand infront.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

There are quite a few "Kari!" posts in this thread, he made some great saves tonight. He absolutely was screened on the Anaheim PP goal, there was a camera angle from just behind the shot that clearly showed that. I'd have liked to see him save the first one, but beyond that, I can't fault him for this outcome.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Sorry to mention Kari might not have been good enough, but that's the truth. I understand the 4th goal was deflected but he made himself as small as possible and wasn't even screened (and if he was he was in position that he should have been able to look around the screen). If Kari plays 3 more games like that, we get swept 100% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad