PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yup, I would nav to device manager and just disable it, and see if a third party option would resolve (ie test with a usb adapter).

If ya open that bish up and the Intel chip is soldered on - then close up that panel and leave it to the usb device.

If, though, for some stroke of genius, it's an m.2 card, they can be had pretty cheap, and I would definitely run that route if possible. For me, USB slots are at a premium, and I like to kill clutter when possible. What board is it? Sorry if I'm asking dupe q's, I didn't scroll very far up. I'm lazy.
It's an X470 Master SLI/ac - looks like it's an m.2, but it's hidden under one of those stupid plastic IO shrouds. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove one of those shrouds. If I did get a new adaptor, and it wasn't an m.2 adaptor, I'd probably get a PCIe adaptor - I like them a lot better than USB adaptors.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Still too early to have 100 percent certainty - but after disabling the motherboard's wifi device (while leaving the Bluetooth - part of the same device) enabled, it appears that the problem might be solved. I checked after an hour, to see only one, unrelated error - this one related to permissions - not a motherboard function. Previously, an hour would have been enough to generate over 1000 errors.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Looks like the 32 core Threadripper is going to debut at $2400 Canadian. That's a fantastic price for what it is - but I think I'll stick with my lowly 1950x :laugh:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Bought an open box Alienware 15 r4 for a steal at best buy.

I7 8850

GTX 1070

16 GB of RAM

Great on paper, but the temps absolutely suck. Already had Dell out to replace heatsink and repaste with thermal grizzly, it's still in the mid 90's playing 45 mins of rocket league.

Fans are crazy loud. I'd return it but best buy would be getting a much better condition laptop back than the one they sold me. Dell replaced the whole LCD panel because there was a deep scratch on the back.

They gave me a "fair" condition laptop and would be getting back a "like new".

What's the best way to sell it?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'd try Craigslist first. You'll get a lot of weirdos and lowballs but if you find the right buyer you'll get more money.

After that, ebay.

There are a bunch of phone/app centric classifieds type sites but I haven't used them.

I threw up a Craigslist post, fingers crossed on that.

If this thing didn't sound like a jet taking off I would be looking to keep it

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
RAM to go down in 2019? One can hope!

RAM Prices set to Drop in 2019 Thanks to Oversupply

As reported by DigiTimes, Micron Technology has ramped up their RAM production followed by new players in the market, including China-based Fujian Jin Hua Integrated Circuit and Innotron Memory (previously known as Hefei ChangXin). According to DigiTimes sources, this could lead to oversupply for the memory in 2019.

Not only that, but reportedly Samsung and SK Hynix both believe that the booming memory market will likely be over by the end of this year. Even with this knowledge, at their investors conferences, both companies claim that they will continue to ramp up their memory production moving forward.

So basically, with oversupply and less demand, RAM prices could come tumbling down to a level we haven’t seen in years.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Looking to upgrade my gpu, but my CPU is a 4670k OCd and was wondering if I just do a full overhaul. Will that CPU be holding my performance back significantly wrt 4k or VR?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Looking to upgrade my gpu, but my CPU is a 4670k OCd and was wondering if I just do a full overhaul. Will that CPU be holding my performance back significantly wrt 4k or VR?
Someone else might be able to better comment, but in general, CPU's haven't come a long way in power over the past several years - I expect that if you've got a decent overclock, you're probably fine just swapping video cards.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Someone else might be able to better comment, but in general, CPU's haven't come a long way in power over the past several years - I expect that if you've got a decent overclock, you're probably fine just swapping video cards.

Pretty much, unless looking at the very latest Intel and AMD CPUs (and needing all the threads). Otherwise, meh - I think it would be spending money for the sake of spending money.

If looking to do 4K, I recommend as much VRAM as possible. Example, I have a 4k monitor, but the 8 GB in my 580 makes all the difference vs the 4 GB* in my 970. Can't speak to VR. Also, I have a 6600K that performs similarly to an old i5-750 that was overclocked to heck. Newer CPU just uses less power.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Pretty much, unless looking at the very latest Intel and AMD CPUs (and needing all the threads). Otherwise, meh - I think it would be spending money for the sake of spending money.

If looking to do 4K, I recommend as much VRAM as possible. Example, I have a 4k monitor, but the 8 GB in my 580 makes all the difference vs the 4 GB* in my 970. Can't speak to VR. Also, I have a 6600K that performs similarly to an old i5-750 that was overclocked to heck. Newer CPU just uses less power.
Thanks! This is pretty much the advice I got when I built my PC 4+ years ago. With new GPU models right around the corner and bitcoin coming down to earth, its a buyers market. I will wait and see what the new models specs are and how prices on the old cards react, but I am keeping my eye out for deals on a 1060 6GB (maybe 1070) or 580 8GB.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Interesting rumour that the GTX/RTX 1180/2080 or whatever NVIDIA is calling the next card may have two fans on the reference design. I wonder just how hot it runs....

Also, if anyone is considering a GPU, this may sway you?

AMD 'Raise the Game' triple game GPU bundle announced
That makes me almost want to consider a video card - but nah, I'll hold off until I actually have more of a need. I'm busy playing Rimworld, and that definitely does not need GPU power.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
That makes me almost want to consider a video card - but nah, I'll hold off until I actually have more of a need. I'm busy playing Rimworld, and that definitely does not need GPU power.

Personally, I'd wait at least until the end of August or into September to see if we see a price drop after the announcement/release of the next gen NVIDIA cards, but it's a good incentive.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm actually really eager to see what AMD has for their next gen. I feel like AMD kind of dropped the ball a little the last time around - I liked the 480/580 - and I have a 560 that does what you'd expect from that level of card, but something felt off. I know this is conspiracy theory stuff, but it really sounds like Nvidia artificially created some of the GPU shortage by holding back cards or pricing them particularly high when the mining craze was on - and are suffering the consequences in a high volume of unsold cards. It seems like it was an opportunity for AMD to undersell Nvidia - but I don't know if they held back cards too, or if they just couldn't produce the volume to do so. I have heard some rumours about their next gen being something to pay attention to, but there isn't a lot of meat to those rumours yet.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting rumour that the GTX/RTX 1180/2080 or whatever NVIDIA is calling the next card may have two fans on the reference design. I wonder just how hot it runs....

Also, if anyone is considering a GPU, this may sway you?

AMD 'Raise the Game' triple game GPU bundle announced

A lot of the manufacturers are recently offering bundled games with the cards. Usually a sign they're trying to add more incentives to buy other then just lowering the price.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hey guys.

Im in the market for a laptop for school and for the occasional game of league of legends/overwatch/D3 and other not super intensive games.

I have a -/+500$ budget and I want something that will last five years or more, so no cheap, hollow plastic laptops.

My old laptop is a HP Pavillon 15 e084 (If I recall, Ill edit this later. AMD a8/a10 core with a designated radeon card that I cant remember the name.)

It basically needs to fill these criterias

Around 500 canadian
Be available on the canadian market
No cheap hollow plastic that will break, this is a computer Ill use every day at school and at home.
Better than my old HP pavillon circa 2013

Shouldnt be too hard?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Hey guys.

Im in the market for a laptop for school and for the occasional game of league of legends/overwatch/D3 and other not super intensive games.

I have a -/+500$ budget and I want something that will last five years or more, so no cheap, hollow plastic laptops.

My old laptop is a HP Pavillon 15 e084 (If I recall, Ill edit this later. AMD a8/a10 core with a designated radeon card that I cant remember the name.)

It basically needs to fill these criterias

Around 500 canadian
Be available on the canadian market
No cheap hollow plastic that will break, this is a computer Ill use every day at school and at home.
Better than my old HP pavillon circa 2013

Shouldnt be too hard?
I just took a quick look, and this is the cheapest I could find that really purports to have any gaming capabilities. I haven't looked into the games you listed - if they're low enough in their demands, you might do better with a laptop with an Intel CPU, and using its integrated video, depending on how much of a processor you can get. This one is roughly about as powerful as an i3-7100U - and I assume has better video. Once you get into modern i5 mobile processors, the AMD probably still does better video, but the CPU is less powerful.

2018 Newest Lenovo Ideapad 15.6" HD Premium High Performance Laptop, AMD A12-9720P Quad core processor 2.7GHz, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, DVD, Webcam, WiFi, Bluetooth, Windows 10, Platinum gray - Newegg.ca

Reactions: Mrb1p

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Sounds like a great job for one of the shiny new Ryzen 5 2500U laptops, but then you're probably looking at around $600....

I haven't looked in depth yet, but I think you'll be hard pressed to get anything much better than an A10 area for the $500 budget.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sounds like a great job for one of the shiny new Ryzen 5 2500U laptops, but then you're probably looking at around $600....

I haven't looked in depth yet, but I think you'll be hard pressed to get anything much better than an A10 area for the $500 budget.
600 is still fine, im looking to stay under 800 basically. Ill take a look at these ryzens one, thanks a lot guys.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Nice. I like that one, a lot.
Of note - it does not come with an SSD drive - BUT, that is something you can install later yourself if you feel like it.

Edit: I also noticed that it's a 1366 x 768 screen if that matters to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad