PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Hey guys.

I didn’t know where to ask this question so I’ll ask here.

Does anyone know how to use YouTube filters on your Samsung TV? I would like to use the date setter to search videos posted in the last week, month or whatever, but I just can’t find anything.

Thanks.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
These prices for the new Nvidia cards **** off so hard.

2070 - $599 USD
2080 - $799 USD
2080 Ti - $1199 USD
Even before seeing those prices, I had already decided that, barring a real AMD screwup, if the AMD cards are even remotely competitive for bang-for-the-buck, I am going AMD for my next card. I'm convinced that Nvidia artificially created, or at least worsened, the mining-craze shortage by holding back cards - they can eat shit and die.

Reactions: Puck

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They aren't talking about non ray tracing performance for a reason

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Holy shit they trolled us. They seriously changed the prices. Starting prices:

2070 - $499
2080 - $699
2080 Ti - $999

Apparently the 2070 is faster than the Titan XP.

I am so f***ing tempted to get the 2080. f***ing hell.

Reactions: Kestrel

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
More cores, GDDR6, so there should definitely be a solid performance pop. Looking forward to real world tests.

Best "leak" I've found so far is a site claiming inside info that the GTX 2070 is approximately 40% more powerful then the 1070 and 17% greater then the GTX 1080.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Holy **** they trolled us. They seriously changed the prices. Starting prices:

2070 - $499
2080 - $699
2080 Ti - $999

Apparently the 2070 is faster than the Titan XP.

I am so ****ing tempted to get the 2080. ****ing hell.

That makes more sense than the initial bullcrap....although the high end cards still seem pricey.

We'll definitely want to see some real world benchmarks. The ray tracing focus, while interesting, throws an extra layer of confusion on the pile.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Only in ray tracing.

People shouldn't be falling for this.

It's like the whole DirectX 12 thing with Radeon all over again, which we're frankly still in the early stages of.

Until applications adopt the technology, it's a useless benchmark.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The EVGA one is $750 for the 2080. They sold out on their site but I hope I can get it from BH Photo before I move to NY so I don't have to pay taxes :).

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I know it's not as black and white as this image, but someone did a comparison:

6oaSjum.png

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
That price hike though...

I wonder if there's some truth to the "conspiracy" that they wanted to raise prices so they could continue to sell their 10 series stock....

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
1080ti running my 2k monitor (and I play mostly Total War games anyway) better hold me over for a few more years...

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
It's like the whole DirectX 12 thing with Radeon all over again, which we're frankly still in the early stages of.

Until applications adopt the technology, it's a useless benchmark.

And by the time ray tracing takes off, those 2070/2080's will be looking long in the tooth.

My beef is that ever since the 10xx series cards, the prices have been inflated $100+ for their respective series, example, the price difference between a 970 at launch to 1070 at launch. I get that the 1070 is much faster, but if it wasn't, then there wouldn't be a need to upgrade.

I see that issue creeping up in mobile phones and desktop CPUs too, $1000 flagships are no bueno, and Intel is doing their i9 thing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think game developers are EXTREMELY aware that GPU prices are getting stupid and they are just going to stop pushing fidelity up until another console gen.

Certainly AAA game developers aren't going to leave the typical 1080p configuration out in the cold. There are just too many 1060/970/RX 4 and 580s owners out there who can't justify upgrading for the money. That pattern is gonna hold for a while. The majority of the games that struggle with middle end configs are smaller devs with crappier optimization and engines.

Intel is doing their i9 thing.

If they come through with soldered IHS as rumored, at least an overclocked i9 might last you till 2026 :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
And by the time ray tracing takes off, those 2070/2080's will be looking long in the tooth.

My beef is that ever since the 10xx series cards, the prices have been inflated $100+ for their respective series, example, the price difference between a 970 at launch to 1070 at launch. I get that the 1070 is much faster, but if it wasn't, then there wouldn't be a need to upgrade.

I see that issue creeping up in mobile phones and desktop CPUs too, $1000 flagships are no bueno, and Intel is doing their i9 thing.

Exactly.

I think desktop CPUs are still in the reasonable territory, but GPUs are getting worse and worse. It's hit us Canadians especially hard with the awful dollar here.

I think game developers are EXTREMELY aware that GPU prices are getting stupid and they are just going to stop pushing fidelity up until another console gen.

Certainly AAA game developers aren't going to leave the typical 1080p configuration out in the cold. There are just too many 1060/970/RX 4 and 580s owners out there who can't justify upgrading for the money. That pattern is gonna hold for a while. The majority of the games that struggle with middle end configs are smaller devs with crappier optimization and engines.

If they come through with soldered IHS as rumored, at least an overclocked i9 might last you till 2026 :laugh:

The silver lining here might be an increase in optimization efforts. One can hope anyway.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm really curious to see what the 3rd party benchmarks have to say about these cards compared to the 10xx series. I've been thinking about upgrading my 970 but I might hold off another year based on the prices and what they showed today

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Unrelated to new sweet lighting effects on the 20 series.

My monitor just crashed and lost it's signal randomly. My friend and I were playing Warframe and after our mission while in the ship my screen went black and couldn't detect a signal. I have no clue why. I initially thought it could be I overheated somehow but msi afterburner had the gpu in the low 70s and the cpu high 50s. Those aren't extremes. Because my pc was stuck in the game the fans were running high so it wouldn't just cool down. I restarted and now it's fine. I just want to know the cause and if there's something I can do or look to do so it doesn't happen again.

Unrelated to that I'm going to upgrade to a 2600x. Anyone have that cpu and thoughts?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Because my pc was stuck in the game the fans were running high so it wouldn't just cool down. I restarted and now it's fine. I just want to know the cause and if there's something I can do or look to do so it doesn't happen again.

Probably a driver crash. I doubt there's anything you could do.
Could check the event log for around that time and see if something happened.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Probably a driver crash. I doubt there's anything you could do.
Could check the event log for around that time and see if something happened.

Thanks for the help. I have a cooler master master 5 case and when I have the front of the case off it runs super cool and quiet while gaming. I have the front on in this case so I was running a bit hotter. Thought that may have been it.

I'll check to see. Thanks again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->