PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
im seriously wondering if my RX480 is underperforming. its been having trouble in some modern games, but I figured its just a midrange card. but then i load up the Division 2 beta after seeing people say its well optimized, and videos on youtube of people with the same CPU as me and RX570s and 580s getting 70-80fps on High preset, and im struggling to stay above 40 on Medium settings with eye candy turned off. GPU benches as expected in synthetic tests but not in games

This usually wouldn't make up 30 frames, but have you tried increasing the power limit?

It's also an MP game right? So generally speaking I've never found MP games to have accurate benches. CPU also makes a massive difference there.

Seriously, this is such a lame duck release it's insane. No where worth the money.

Knock out half the VRAM and it would be a competitive 1440p card as it would lower the price. 16GB VRAM is just massively overkill.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
This usually wouldn't make up 30 frames, but have you tried increasing the power limit?

It's also an MP game right? So generally speaking I've never found MP games to have accurate benches. CPU also makes a massive difference there.

yeah power limit is +50%

and yeah its MP but this is going back to single player games as well. my brothers 1060 is consistently overpowering my 480 by alot. with the same graphics settings and the same fight in Division 2, he was getting 60-90fps where I was getting 35-55. gonna plug my GPU into his PC at some point and see if anything changes

the weird thing is, that was on a mix of medium settings and the NASA settings turned off. when I cranked it to the Ultra preset with everything full steam ahead, my performance didnt really drop much. only 5-10fps. my brothers 1060 saw a drop from 60-90 down to 45-70 after changing to Ultra, whereas I went from 35-55 to abour 25-50 lol

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Knock out half the VRAM and it would be a competitive 1440p card as it would lower the price. 16GB VRAM is just massively overkill.

If you knock off half the RAM, it would probably be about $450/$500 and at that price, it would be a real player in the GPU market again. Having near RTX 2080 performance for at least $200 less would be a big selling point.

But seriously, with that Linus video, it seriously seems like they copied something they already had and made a few changes. I really hate using this word for things like this, but if it's founded that it's basically the same as the MI50, then it's f***ing LAZY. AMD got lazy.

Like, it's to the point that I'm legit considering an RTX 2080 just for the sheer power. $700 for a EVGA Black Edition on EVGA's site and they are giving away one of those 90 degree power adapters for free (free shipping and no tax either).

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Apparently the drivers are terrible and AMD knows all it's faults still if you watched Jayztwocents.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Ive been wanting to build my own pc for a while but wanna keep it to around 600$ with the ability to upgrade easily. Ive pieced this together

It looks good to me but would anyone mind taking a look to see what should be upgraded now and if anything should be switched

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Ive been wanting to build my own pc for a while but wanna keep it to around 600$ with the ability to upgrade easily. Ive pieced this together
It looks good to me but would anyone mind taking a look to see what should be upgraded now and if anything should be switched
www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Checking some recent prices here you can get slightly cheaper RAM that is on sale, $140 for the 1050 is not a good deal unless it is converting it to Canadian dollars on me?

Just recently there was a 1050ti for $99

Also a rx570 for $120 which is better than the 1050ti

Personally not a fan of spending more on your motherboard than on your cpu, if you want something upgradeable I would go with Ryzen pretty sure zen 2 will work on the am4 motherboards.

Currently there is a Ryzen 2600x on sale for $180

You can likely sell the game to someone for $20, if you are looking for the most efficient gaming pc for under $600 it may not be the best building block though.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So got my rx580 installed... managed to kill two of my 4 ram chips in the process somehow >< (was a 4x4 set of ddr3, so now I'm at 2x4 :/)

At least it looks like I can get some 2x8 chips for ~100 bucks so I can get back to 16 (it'd be bad to do a 2x8 set plus the 2 4 chips right?)

As an aside, trying to figure out what setting is causing my second (dvi connected) monitor to flicker after the memory sees a load. Seems to be a thing with the rx580 based on google searches but haven't found a good answer to it yet.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Gonna plug my GPU into his PC at some point and see if anything changes

Update on this. Plugged my 480 into my brother's PC and not only did it run really nice, it actually outperformed his 1060 in Division 2 by about 15-20fps and ran about the same or slightly better in most other games. Now yeah he does have a newer CPU than mine but the difference shouldn't be so great and it doesnt explain why my GPU is underperforming compared to videos than mine. I also checked power draw and it's the same on his PC as mine so it can't really be a PSU issue.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Hoping maybe a fresh install of Windows might help. Dunno how but, no idea what else the issue could be

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So got my rx580 installed... managed to kill two of my 4 ram chips in the process somehow >< (was a 4x4 set of ddr3, so now I'm at 2x4 :/)

At least it looks like I can get some 2x8 chips for ~100 bucks so I can get back to 16 (it'd be bad to do a 2x8 set plus the 2 4 chips right?)

They say that you shouldn't mix different brands/timings/sizes of RAM, but I've been doing that for over 20 years. If you buy two 8GB sticks, simply leave the 4GB sticks in there and you'll likely have 24GB total. If you want piece of mind, though, note how stable and fast everything is and maybe even run a memory benchmark, then remove two 4GB sticks and see if there's any difference.

The only caveat there is that, unless you actually physically damaged the two sticks, the problem could be with the motherboard. Perhaps it's a little flaky and the RX580 draws so much power that you can't use all four RAM sockets anymore. I recently had that happen with a motherboard (though not because I added a GPU), where I was using all four RAM sockets and, then, suddenly, it wouldn't boot up unless I removed either stick pairs. If that's the case with yours, you won't be able to attain 24GB and will just have to leave the 4GB sticks out.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Update on this. Plugged my 480 into my brother's PC and not only did it run really nice, it actually outperformed his 1060 in Division 2 by about 15-20fps and ran about the same or slightly better in most other games. Now yeah he does have a newer CPU than mine but the difference shouldn't be so great and it doesnt explain why my GPU is underperforming compared to videos than mine. I also checked power draw and it's the same on his PC as mine so it can't really be a PSU issue.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Hoping maybe a fresh install of Windows might help. Dunno how but, no idea what else the issue could be

Make sure that you're both using the same drivers. Also, make sure that he doesn't have more RAM than you. Also, check Task Manager and make sure that nothing significant is using the CPU or RAM when you start the game. If none of those are it, a fresh install of Windows is worth trying. I wouldn't think that that's it, but it's the only way to completely rule out a software issue. If that makes no difference, you may have to simply assume that his better CPU is the difference.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
They say that you shouldn't mix different types of RAM, but I've been doing that for over 20 years. If you buy two 8GB sticks, simply leave the 4GB sticks in there and you'll likely have 24GB total. If you want piece of mind, note how stable and fast everything is and maybe even run memory speed benchmark, then remove two 4GB sticks and see if there's any difference.

The only caveat there is that, unless you actually physically damaged the two sticks, the problem could be with the motherboard. Perhaps it's a little flaky and the RX580 draws so much power that you can't use all four RAM sockets anymore. I recently had that happen with a motherboard (though not because I added a GPU), where I was using all four RAM sockets and, then, suddenly, it wouldn't boot up unless I removed either stick pairs. If that's the case with yours, you won't be able to attain 24GB and will just have to leave the 4GB sticks out.

When I was trying to sort out why the pc wasn't posting, I had everything yanked. So not a power issue that way.

One stick at a time of ram, two would post, two wouldn't. With all peripherals but mouse, keyboard, HD unplugged

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
so the last windows update fried my internet. couldnt' connect till I rolled it back. I think what happened is it made the network card driver incompatible.

anyone else had this issue?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
so the last windows update fried my internet. couldnt' connect till I rolled it back. I think what happened is it made the network card driver incompatible.

anyone else had this issue?

I've had this happen with printers. Usually it gets fixed at some point.

Sep 19, 2008
www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Checking some recent prices here you can get slightly cheaper RAM that is on sale, $140 for the 1050 is not a good deal unless it is converting it to Canadian dollars on me?

Just recently there was a 1050ti for $99

Also a rx570 for $120 which is better than the 1050ti

Personally not a fan of spending more on your motherboard than on your cpu, if you want something upgradeable I would go with Ryzen pretty sure zen 2 will work on the am4 motherboards.

Currently there is a Ryzen 2600x on sale for $180

You can likely sell the game to someone for $20, if you are looking for the most efficient gaming pc for under $600 it may not be the best building block though.

I wish I had known about this reddit before I purchased my new components over the weekend. Lot of good deals.

I'll look there for video card deals. Thanks.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Yeah I've been mulling the CPU over for weeks now. Same with the GPU.

I want a 2080ti but the $999.99 Black edition seems to have thermal issues that I'm concerned about. Anything over that is just ughhh...

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I just ordered the AOC CQ32G1 monitor.

1440p 144hz 32 inch VA monitor.

It will be my first jump from my 4k 60hz monitor to 144hz. I'm excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad