Aug 8, 2012
AEF
oh boy

wjpcnq34rf921.jpg

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
16GB of HBM2 makes me worry about the price....

If it comes in under the RTX 2080 MSRP, we may have a winner but rumours are the cost to build is extremely high.

EDIT: $699 MSRP, same as RTX 2080. That's....not great.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
as long as it pushes the Vega 64 price down so I can pick one up finally lol

EDIT: $699

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
oh well. I dont see the Vega prices going down much with nothing coming in to replace their price points :/

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think the issue with reducing the Vega price point is the cost to build, particularly with HBM2.

Nobody needs 16GB of HBM2 for gaming (at least not yet), so I call the Radeon VII "engineered for gamers" to be bogus. If they come out with an 8GB version for cheaper than the 2080s, we got ourselves a conversation.

If they can come out with GDDR versions of Vega and Vega 2 for even cheaper, then we got ourselves more conversations.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Ryzen 3000 looks promising so far, but still very early.

Sounds like Computex may have more information.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
if the 2060 is indeed about as powerful as a 1070, then its still a bit weaker than a 980ti. thats a very good card

It's looking like it even beats a 1070 ti/Vega 64. Well, at resolutions lower than 4k anyway. So it's a 2k card or a 1080p high refresh rate card.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Founders Edition 6 GB Review

Reviews are kind all over the place though, surely depends on what game is tested. Anandtech has the Vega 64 doing a lot better than TPU did but TPU tested a lot more games.

2060 seems like a good card, going with 6GB instead of 8GB seems like a mistake. GDDR6 has supply issues too though.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Rumours are still circulating about the eventual release of an "1160", a cheaper 2060 minus the RT and Tensor cores.

Since the 2060 doesn't run RTX all that well (mind you, BFV is the only example, so grain of salt on that one), this rumoured 1160 might be worth waiting for.

Depends on how much stock you put into these sort of things though. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Yes what we needed was an even more confusing product stack :dunce:

If there's one thing we can expect from the discrete graphics world, it's confusing ass names :laugh:

Pretty sure Radeon VII ("7") is a clever play on V-II or Vega 2, but even so...another weird one.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I'm super f***ing stoked for the VII and I really hope that it means that they're back in the game. Even if it's not Ti levels and if it's 2080 and for $100 less, then hell yeah.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly, I'm super ****ing stoked for the VII and I really hope that it means that they're back in the game. Even if it's not Ti levels and if it's 2080 and for $100 less, then hell yeah.

MSRPs are identical (with the 2080 being able to tout RTX features....maybe....sometime....when they actually show up), but we'll have to see for real world pricing. The original Vega was a disaster in that regard.

I'm happy to see Radeon VII competing with high end NVIDIA (although we'll see what real world benchmarks are like), but I will say it'll be interesting to see what the two companies do for the budget to mid-tier PC gamers. That market is the biggest in the gaming sector, and late 2018/early 2019 has been a bit of a train wreck for enthusiasts who have to keep their wallets in mind. :laugh:

I'm just waiting for that dam to break. Rumours swirling around Navi make things interesting.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've had my 480 for a little over 2 years now. Guessing I'll have it at least through this year.

Brand new games right now aren't pushing things much right now.
Maybe the new Metro will.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I've had my 480 for a little over 2 years now. Guessing I'll have it at least through this year.

Brand new games right now aren't pushing things much right now.
Maybe the new Metro will.

The 480 is a great card.

I'm still more than happy with the 1080 (minus the cooling solution I have), but that won't stop me from window shopping hard. :laugh:

The price increases to the top end hardware from both teams (as well as the crappy Canadian dollar) have forced me from enthusiast to budget gamer in the future though...

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
my RX480 4GB feels the crunch in some modern titles. thats why im looking to upgrade sometime soonish. especially for the games coming out soon

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I'm super happy with my Arctic Accelero. If they make one that fits a 1080 you should think about it :P

I've really been debating picking one up.

Which one do you use? I was thinking about the Twin Turbo III. Pretty sure it should be compatible.

Only downside that I can see is that they aren't the prettiest things around, but my heavily tinted side panel should help with that. :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Which one do you use? I was thinking about the Twin Turbo III. Pretty sure it should be compatible.

I have the Mono, which is a lower end one. Didn't make sense to me to put a high end version on a 480, particularly mine since it's kind of a dumpy overclocker. Also they don't all fit the 480 due to some weird RAM placement so my choices were limited.

I went from 83C max in Battletech to 62C max. And that game can cook video cards.

The Mono came with included VRAM and VRM heatsinks, but I did a little mod and hacked off the VRM portion of the factory heatsink and kept it. You can see it to the left in the pic below.

The bigger coolers probably work a little different since they more mimic factory cooling. The mono is kinda like sticking a big CPU tower cooler on a card so it's uglier than the higher end ones :laugh:

dN36bKT.jpg

Reactions: Commander Clueless

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still have my G-Sync monitor on backorder for the rest of the month and right now, I'm pondering if I should skip that and go for something really good that's approved on Nvidia's list, even though it's f***ing short. What I mean is, is Nvidia's list of approved Adaptive Sync monitors. Hmmm...

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I still have my G-Sync monitor on backorder for the rest of the month and right now, I'm pondering if I should skip that and go for something really good that's approved on Nvidia's list, even though it's ****ing short. What I mean is, is Nvidia's list of approved Adaptive Sync monitors. Hmmm...

Would likely save you a buck, and gives you the flexibility to switch brands.

I would take option #2, personally.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I've never owned a "Be Quiet" Looking at the reviews it looks like it has very nice thermals for a sound dampening case.

When I was shopping for upgraded cases I watched reviews on that case. Seems like a really good and roomy mid tower case. With usb 3.1 abd the fan hub. But it was/is pricey so I passed and went with my p350x. Which I still like a lot.

But I seen that white edition they just announced and price be damned I want it. Only 3,000 available though.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Two questions about AIO coolers for those who may have an answer:

1) I have a EVGA CLC 240 that I installed the other day. My first AIO cooler. I've downloaded the control software and I've noticed that my temp keeps taking huge jumps up and down. Is that normal, or possibly incorrect display? I've previously used Speccy to keep an eye on it and the increase/decrease in temp seems gradual. Now it'll go from like 25C and then show 44C, down to 30C and back and forth. 44 is the highest I've seen it go, but just don't know if that's normal behavior or something weird with the software.

2) Above cooler says it works best when used as an intake, pulling cool air in from outside the case, but it only has mounting holes on the radiator side, forcing the fans to be pointing down into the case. I have a really roomy case and I don't think heat will really be an issue. Should I be concerned about this at all or is it probably not a big deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00