PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

Sep 19, 2008
Doing some research on a new mobo and CPU duo. Is the Ryzen 2nd generation any good or no? Would you prefer AMD Ryzen or Intel?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Doing some research on a new mobo and CPU duo. Is the Ryzen 2nd generation any good or no? Would you prefer AMD Ryzen or Intel?

if I was upgrading today, it would be a 2nd gen Ryzen. likely the 2600 or 2600x. price to performance is just too good

however, its believed that Ryzen 3 will be launching at CES2019 in a few days, so id maybe hold off

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
if I was upgrading today, it would be a 2nd gen Ryzen. likely the 2600 or 2600x. price to performance is just too good

however, its believed that Ryzen 3 will be launching at CES2019 in a few days, so id maybe hold off

That's what I was wary of, that a new generation would come. Thanks

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It will be interesting if AMD does drop their new CPUs this fast. Intel still having supply issues.

They just launched the mobile 3xxx's.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man I messed around with 4k since I just got a 65 inch samsung 6 series, and I couldn't believe how bad my pc chugged. It felt like I was back in 2002 with the garage sale dell. My FX 8350 with DDR3 ram mustve been the bottleneck (with 128 gb boot drive and gtx 1080). Edit: I should clarify, this is literally just navigating windows I'm talking about, not doing any type of browsing or work

Oh yeah and it borderline ruined my new purchase high to see that theres like no difference between 4k and 1080p, I said it in the other thread but I was genuinely checking to see if the game really launched in 4k (I had the settings set from geforce experience, it was just quicker) and then to see that it was. A lot of games chugged really bad with it too outside of Doom Vulkan with was around 80 fps.

Now, the the 4k and HDR content on netflix, that kinda restored my new purchase high. It really was georgeous, especially with the energy saving mode and the dimming sensor turned off. Georgeous.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Man I messed around with 4k since I just got a 65 inch samsung 6 series, and I couldn't believe how bad my pc chugged. It felt like I was back in 2002 with the garage sale dell. My FX 8350 with DDR3 ram mustve been the bottleneck (with 128 gb boot drive and gtx 1080). Edit: I should clarify, this is literally just navigating windows I'm talking about, not doing any type of browsing or work

I don't think your system should have issues at the desktop even with the older CPU. Something else is probably going on.

(I had the settings set from geforce experience, it was just quicker) and then to see that it was.

It was probably reducing quality to keep your FPS up. But that said I do think 4k is generally overrated for gaming. I'd rather have high refresh rate myself.
It also takes more of a trained eye to spot the differences, particularly in games that don't have super high res textures that support increased fidelity at higher resolutions.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
It was probably reducing quality to keep your FPS up. But that said I do think 4k is generally overrated for gaming. I'd rather have high refresh rate myself.
It also takes more of a trained eye to spot the differences, particularly in games that don't have super high res textures that support increased fidelity at higher resolutions.

Yeah, I think my HD monitor is fine. 4k in TV is fine but I don't see the point for gaming.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So the fans all went on my rig at around the same time.

I'm using an old Thermaltake Element S case with an old power supply which I've also replaced with an EVGA SuperNoVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W

I noticed that all of my fans were 4 pin but nowadays a lot of them are 3 pin for some reason (that I've seen).

Is there an issue with running fans at full speed using a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin connector?

I assume there are ways of using the BIOS to control the speed regardless.

Anyone run into these issues?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Is there an issue with running fans at full speed using a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin connector?

I assume there are ways of using the BIOS to control the speed regardless.

The 3 pin fans are actually the older style. But yes there is no issue running a 3 pin on a 4 pin header.

And you can still control them via the motherboard so long as they are connected to headers on the board that have such options in the BIOS.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The 3 pin fans are actually the older style. But yes there is no issue running a 3 pin on a 4 pin header.

And you can still control them via the motherboard so long as they are connected to headers on the board that have such options in the BIOS.

Cheers, thanks.

I found it odd that they were still selling 3 pin fans.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I think my HD monitor is fine. 4k in TV is fine but I don't see the point for gaming.

1440p is the sweet spot IMO. I have a 1440p and 1080p monitor on my desk and the 1440p is noticably sharper. I don't notice a difference between it and my 4k tv. I'm sure if I were to put it next to a 4k monitor I might see one, but unless you have cash to burn, or do video/graphical work I don't see 4k as necessary. The cost to get a gaming rig to run 4k smoothly is just too high.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Time to build a new rig in the next couple of months!
Getting back into researching hardware in preparation- a thing I only keep up on when a new build is happening.
My current machine is based on a Z170 board and ...sixth gen i5? But it looks like the same 1151 pin socket is still used on the Z370 mobos.

Am leaning toward Z370 and 8th gen intel proc at this time but I realize these aren't new themselves.
This won't be a strict gaming rig but games are probably the thing I do that will stress the hardware most. This plan seem good, or not future-proof enough?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Time to build a new rig in the next couple of months!
Getting back into researching hardware in preparation- a thing I only keep up on when a new build is happening.
My current machine is based on a Z170 board and ...sixth gen i5? But it looks like the same 1151 pin socket is still used on the Z370 mobos.

So that would be Skylake? 6600k or 6600, or a 6500/6400.

The main issue with your system is core/thread count more so than how up/out of date it is. If you had a 6700k I would say don't even bother upgrading.

If your current RAM is DDR4 (some Skylakes use DDR3) then your RAM can be reused.

An 8xxx or 9xxx Intel would be fine. I wouldn't get anything less than a 6 thread CPU.

TBH though if it were my system I'd buy a 7700k and toss it in the current system (after a BIOS update) then sell the old i5 and call it good. Provided your board will support it anyway, which it most likely will.

A 7700k would be a little worse than an 8xxx i7 but about equal to or slightly better than an 8xxx i5. So I think doing that as a drop in upgrade (if capable) is a way better option than spending a bunch on a new board too.

And really if you need a video card upgrade too, you might just buy that first and see if you are happy enough with your current i5. Stage the upgrades.

Reactions: sigma six

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yes, 6600K and DDR4 memory. But it's DDR4 from three years ago, so I was guessing that current speeds could be a lot higher. Your 7700K idea is an intriguing one.

The GPU upgrade is part of the picture. I chose the wrong year to spend $500 on a card and have a 980Ti, which probably gets its ass kicked by everything that came out the next year. This time I'm looking at the pending RTX2060, which is supposed to launch at $360.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yes, 6600K and DDR4 memory. But it's DDR4 from three years ago, so I was guessing that current speeds could be a lot higher. Your 7700K idea is an intriguing one.

Well you could have bought fast DDR4 3 years ago, I dunno :P

The absolute high end overclocked RAM sticks are better now but the stock speed level hasn't changed too much.

Stock speed on Skylake was 2133 and stock speed on Coffee Lake (8/9xxx) is 2666. But 2666 was plenty available back then and was used all the time, it was just considered an overclock. Your current system could probably handle it as well just in the same unofficial way.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA

The GPU upgrade is part of the picture. I chose the wrong year to spend $500 on a card and have a 980Ti, which probably gets its ass kicked by everything that came out the next year. This time I'm looking at the pending RTX2060, which is supposed to launch at $360.

The 980 Ti is still a very strong card. I'm running new games at 1440p on high with great performance at or around 100fps.The 2060 might not even be an upgrade unless you really want the new ray tracing tech for cheap.

My build is coming up on 4 years old minus the 980 ti. 4690k with 16gb of DDR3 RAM. The CPU, RAM, and mobo are definitely getting upgraded. As for the GPU I've been looking at upgrades and even the 2070 might not be worth it right now. It depends how much you value 20 FPS.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if the 2060 is indeed about as powerful as a 1070, then its still a bit weaker than a 980ti. thats a very good card

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
AMD keynote in 15 mins. really hope we see a bigtime GPU announcement since nvidia have really dropped the ball with the RTX line

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Damn, you guys are right about that^. Now that I look into it the performance gap is much narrower than I thought it would be, and over two generations no less.
Power draw is worse but not huge deal. Now I almost feel like I can keep coasting with the current build, other than really wanting a new case to play with.:laugh:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Damn, you guys are right about that^. Now that I look into it the performance gap is much narrower than I thought it would be, and over two generations no less.
Power draw is worse but not huge deal. Now I almost feel like I can keep coasting with the current build, other than really wanting a new case to play with.:laugh:

Yeah, the 980 Ti was/is a fantastic card.

The 10 series was a big price/performance jump, but ignoring the RTX features (which don't really exist yet, outside of BFV), the 20 series doesn't do much in this regard.

You're probably good with the 980 Ti for some time yet.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
bruh announce some GPUs pls

EDIT: AMD Radeon VII. what an inspiring name lol. pls be good

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4