Recalled/Assigned: Pavelec activated from IR; Hellebuyck assigned to the Moose.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We have 3 weeks to hope that other teams goalies go down to facilitate a trade.

What do you think hutch trade value was at his peak last year just before all-star break? A mid- first?

Pavs puts up good numbers at late season drive. Perhaps there is value. Maybe we get a third rounder for him.

I doubt it. Guys like Hutch (young, unproven but with promising numbers) - even riding as high as he was - don't go for much more than a 3rd rounder.

Pavelec has a long track record of below-average play. He's not a rental - there's a year left on his deal with a $3.9M cap hit and $4.75M in actual salary.

BTW: Jets paying $4.75M in salary to Pavelec next year? Probably means we're looking at a Pavelec/Hellebuyck tandem in 2016-17.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because you think he's refreshed and motivated to take back his starter role?

Or because you're filled with an overwhelming sense of dread whenever Pavs is on the ice? And in this case the worst possible scenario is a string of wins leaving us in a non-playoff position with a middling draft pick?

The bolded.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ding ding ding ding ding.

You mean 48 games after he signed long term?

Yeah, icannotbelieveit...

He had another chance after the 2013-14 season. Doing it in 2012-13, after 48 games would've been ideal in terms of money: 1/3 the remaining value of his deal: $5.4M paid out over 8 years = $677k/year. Doing it in 2013-14 would've cost 2/3rds the remaining value, so $8.5M paid out over 6 years = $1.46M/year...but he was coming off that stellar .901 season and looked like he was getting worse, so only a crazy person would've done that! :sarcasm:

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Stuart your engines boy's were Pav'in the road to first overall in the draft....We're Locked and LAdd'ed for a full blown tank mode!

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
At the end of practice today Flaherty was working with Helle. Ehlers was coming out of the corner recreating the Ericsson goal. They were working on blocker positioning. They did it dozens of times. I wonder if Helle knew yet he was getting sent down?

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
4CwfWPr.gif

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Pavs traditionally starts each season reasonably well but falls off sharply when overused.
Last year he faltered badly and was replaced by Hutch until Hutch faltered.
That was almost like a new season for Pavs who finished the season on an uncharacteristic hot streak.
What does this all mean ?
My gut says Pavs plays well initially then tails off .
It's funny Hutch has looked okay the last few games after a rest.
I really wish we could figure out how to manage each goalies work load.
Today's move was the right one.
I suspect the club is trying to figure out the best combo and rotation as well.
I think I am leaning towards a Helle/Hutch tandem going forward.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well I guess this is the official death kneel for the season. It makes perfect sense to send Helly down if you have given up hope on being able to make a run for a playoff spot. The next step will be some selling. Sure hope they get a good return for Ladd, and by some miracle find a way to move at least one of Stu, Thor or Pavs.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
9-9-2 when Pavs went down...looks like they actually sucked more without him.
In fact, when was the last time this team put together more than 2 wins?

They sure as **** have not played better without him, in fact worse record to date.

Just sayin'

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
He had another chance after the 2013-14 season. Doing it in 2012-13, after 48 games would've been ideal in terms of money: 1/3 the remaining value of his deal: $5.4M paid out over 8 years = $677k/year. Doing it in 2013-14 would've cost 2/3rds the remaining value, so $8.5M paid out over 6 years = $1.46M/year...but he was coming off that stellar .901 season and looked like he was getting worse, so only a crazy person would've done that! :sarcasm:

Right, that was it.

Not buying him out in '13 has cost the team $1.3m per season cash/cap. Backup money for backup-level goaltending.

No ..... the CBO ran for 2 years.

Yes. Corrected.

Derfel*

Any chance we hear Hellebuyck is injured? He did leave the last game early...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Right, that was it.

Not buying him out in '13 has cost the team $1.3m per season cash/cap. Backup money for backup-level goaltending.

Yes. Corrected.

In 2013 or 2014 they could've used a 'compliance buyout' so there would've been no cap penalty, that's an extra $3.9M in cap last year, this year and next year. Not that the Jets need the room...

The biggest issue is that the team is handcuffed to Pavelec. I expect to see him as presumptive starter next year too. Meanwhile the Jets have squandered Wheeler, Ladd, Little, Buff and Enstrom's primes.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
A buyout might be more palatable this offseason, especially if they extend Ladd and they seem to have goalie options

copernicanrevolution

Apr 30, 2009
Atlanta
9-9-2 when Pavs went down...looks like they actually sucked more without him.
In fact, when was the last time this team put together more than 2 wins?

They sure as **** have not played better without him, in fact worse record to date.

Just sayin'

And you think this demonstrates what exactly?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
In 2013 or 2014 they could've used a 'compliance buyout' so there would've been no cap penalty, that's an extra $3.9M in cap last year, this year and next year. Not that the Jets need the room...

The biggest issue is that the team is handcuffed to Pavelec. I expect to see him as presumptive starter next year too. Meanwhile the Jets have squandered Wheeler, Ladd, Little, Buff and Enstrom's primes.

What a complete and bizarre mess. I hope there is some actual reason he's done these things, like no one wants to play in a frozen wasteland. Buff & Stafford signing kinda put that notion to rest though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad