Recalled/Assigned: Pavelec activated from IR; Hellebuyck assigned to the Moose.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Moose

Yea I'm not sure what the big deal is here, IMO this is the right move. We aren't making the playoffs, I'd rather shelter Helley from the tank, hopefully increase Pavs' value a bit and keep Hutch in case theres eventually any kind of possible return for him

Have you seen the Moose record?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Awful move. Why not send Hutch down? He has zero value. Why hurt Comrie's playing time? Hutch is junk, has been for 100% of the time he's been here. Let him be the AHL back up. Hutch has no place in the organization.

Even when his stats were good pre All Star game last year I never heard any of the "goaltending experts" say anything good about him. They would glow about Comrie and Buyck. Then RR would force Hutch on them and they would say "well, he's making saves right now".

Hutch is junk, put him in his rightful place as an AHL backup. Give Comrie and Buyck the playing time the need to develop.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Awful move. Why not send Hutch down? He has zero value. Why hurt Comrie's playing time? Hutch is junk, has been for 100% of the time he's been here. Let him be the AHL back up. Hutch has no place in the organization.

Even when his stats were good pre All Star game last year I never heard any of the "goaltending experts" say anything good about him. They would glow about Comrie and Buyck. Then RR would force Hutch on them and they would say "well, he's making saves right now".

Hutch is junk, put him in his rightful place as an AHL backup. Give Comrie and Buyck the playing time the need to develop.

Hutchinson is easily the second best goalie in the Jets organization right now. Which "goaltending experts" are you referring to? If you're going to argue based on that premise, THN ranked him the 20th best NHL goalie in this year's goalie issue.

Not knocking Comrie as a prospect, but he has a ways to go before I consider him better than Hutchinson. Hutch has already managed three AHL seasons well above what Comrie has done this season.

Doubt he'll max out as anything more than a good 1A/B option, but it's too early to be writing him off as junk.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Hutchinson is probably the second best goalie in the Jets organization right now. Which "goaltending experts" are you referring to? If you're going to argue based on that premise, THN ranked him the 20th best NHL goalie in this year's goalie issue.

Not knocking Comrie as a prospect, but he has a ways to go before I consider him better than Hutchinson. Hutch has already managed three AHL seasons well above what Comrie has managed this season.

Doubt he'll max out as anything more than a good 1A/B option, but it's too early to be writing him off as junk.

Please link article. I doubt we see an expert.

Not a single guest wanted to say any more than he's making saves. There's a reason the Bruins gave him away. He's junk and no one would take him on waivers. That's obvious. With his rocking 2.87, .908 and zero confidence from his coaches. Comrie is highly rated by any expert list you will find as well as an AHL All Star.

In Goal Magazine for example: http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50-nhl-goaltending-prospects-for-2015-2016-season/

That was before he was an AHL All Star.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Please link article. I doubt we see an expert.

Not a single guest wanted to say any more than he's making saves. There's a reason the Bruins gave him away. He's junk and no one would take him on waivers. That's obvious. With his rocking 2.87, .908 and zero confidence from his coaches. Comrie is highly rated by any expert list you will find as well as an AHL All Star.

In Goal Magazine for example: http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50-nhl-goaltending-prospects-for-2015-2016-season/

That was before he was an AHL All Star.

My "expert opinion" is less valuable than your "expert opinion" because it doesn't fit your narrative, I guess?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thn-goalie-rankings-despite-injury-carey-price-in-a-league-of-his-own/

That's why appeals to authority don't work as valid arguments.

EDIT: You do realize that Comrie was named to the AHL All-Star game as a replacement for Hellebuyck, right?

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

AHL backup, rightful place?
Junk?

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but wow.

Guy has a career 0.921 sv% in the AHL, where the league average is 0.912...

While his NHL career sample isn't as large, he's been average in Quality Starts and Sv%, and is above real 0.500 for win percentage.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
And you think this demonstrates what exactly?
That the defensive game (System) in front of goalie A, B or C is the the one thing that has not changed, ergo is the greatest factor. Yes individual goalie play comes into it, however we've changed the 'minders from Mason, Pavs, Monty, Clutch and Buck....

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Suck that Helly has to go down.
But he should learn from this and get better for next year.

He started well and faded a bit last 5-6 games.

He'll be better next year.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
9-9-2 when Pavs went down...looks like they actually sucked more without him.
In fact, when was the last time this team put together more than 2 wins?

They sure as **** have not played better without him, in fact worse record to date.

Just sayin'

If only there was someway we could isolate the goalie impact on wins.
Whether it's shots for, shots against, shooting percentage, or save percentage....

woe is us!!!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Gives up weak goals in too many games. Sure, he has the occasional "stops 49 out of 50 shots" QS games. Did it in junior playing on a crappy team, continues that on the crappy team called the Moose. However, being a Moose mini-pack subscriber and having seen some easily stoppable shots get past him, I have to wonder whether those spectacular games are due to amazing skill or that puck luck just shines out of his posterior and a lot of shots just hit him?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I didn't go through the whole thread. Was there no conditioning phase for the goalie who traditionally has required one at the best of times?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

As we sometimes do with our prospects, we overrate them a bit too much. I like Comrie too but some are anointing him much too quickly. I think he will take a longer path to get to the NHL, he needs a few more years in the AHL to find consistency. Getting lots of pucks your way is good for a goalie, but it's hard to get a true read as the Moose are not very good. He'll be a 1B some day I think but not a true NHL starter. Just my opinion. See Tokarski for example, tough to stick sometimes.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As we sometimes do with our prospects, we overrate them a bit too much. I like Comrie too but some are anointing him much too quickly. I think he will take a longer path to get to the NHL, he needs a few more years in the AHL to find consistency. Getting lots of pucks your way is good for a goalie, but it's hard to get a true read as the Moose are not very good. He'll be a 1B some day I think but not a true NHL starter. Just my opinion. See Tokarski for example, tough to stick sometimes.

And I would counter: you're projecting a limited top end that we won't be able to evaluate for quite a few years, and underrating his potential. He shows extremely good mobility and good positioning so far in his career, and has managed to weather the storm of a poor Moose team in front of him while Helle was with the Jets.

Will he be a starter? Who knows for sure. He has the potential to be though: is that overrating a prospect?

TBH: I don't see many in this thread anointing him as the next Price, thus my question about him being grossly overrated. For that to happen, that would require a majority of posters, wouldn't it?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It's pretty much insane at this point to call Comrie a success or bust..we need a far far larger sample size.

Patience will be required, with goalies and defensemen it seems to be extra necessary. I'm more than ok waiting..

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's pretty much insane at this point to call Comrie a success or bust..we need a far far larger sample size.

Patience will be required, with goalies and defensemen it seems to be extra necessary. I'm more than ok waiting..

Yup. It's too early in his career to state that he's going to be an NHL level starter, or a bust. He's a good prospect, and that's about all that can be said with certainty at this point.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
so are their rumors of Chevy dealing a goalie this year and get Helle back up? or is this how its gonna be until next year now

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
so are their rumors of Chevy dealing a goalie this year and get Helle back up? or is this how its gonna be until next year now

I think for next year we could say goodbye to Pavs and run with Helle/Hutch. I think we can conclude pavs is essentially done.

I think I would look at what it would cost for James Reimer. If the contract was right he might be a good partner for Helle until he's ready to take over. Reimer has proven he is at worst an average goalie, but he's a veteran now and might be a steadying hand if helle struggles. I'm not entirely sure Hutch can do that, but I am pretty sure Pavs can't.

Unless we want to tank one more time..

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
And I would counter: you're projecting a limited top end that we won't be able to evaluate for quite a few years, and underrating his potential. He shows extremely good mobility and good positioning so far in his career, and has managed to weather the storm of a poor Moose team in front of him while Helle was with the Jets.

Will he be a starter? Who knows for sure. He has the potential to be though: is that overrating a prospect?

TBH: I don't see many in this thread anointing him as the next Price, thus my question about him being grossly overrated. For that to happen, that would require a majority of posters, wouldn't it?

Its been more the chatter throughout the year in other threads. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but am just a bit more cautious or lets say not as confident as I was with Helly.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its been more the chatter throughout the year in other threads. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but am just a bit more cautious or lets say not as confident as I was with Helly.

I'm a big fan of Helly, but I still remain cautiously optimistic as I do with Comrie. I don't see it as a bad thing for Helly to go back down and work on his game. Also I think it will be good for Comrie as well. He will see what Helly is working on and sharing from his experience in the NHL. Paths are rarely ever smooth for goalies and you never really know what you have until they show they can consistently back stop a team over long periods.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
the only part that was not the right move was riding Helle come hell or high water. Hutchinson should have started a few more times.

but sending Helle back to the Moose is absolutely the correct move. there's no benefit for him to stay in the NHL for the rest of the season. i'd rather he play on the Moose and correct 1 or 2 small things (see his GAA for the past few games) and be ready to be the #1 goalie next year.

as someone else said, the only other question is why Pavs didn't get 1-2 Moose conditioning starts.
otherwise, i find the timing to be interesting re: trade deadline. i really do wonder if Mtl would trade Scrivens and a contract and a pick for Pavs.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
AHL backup, rightful place?
Junk?

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but wow.

Guy has a career 0.921 sv% in the AHL, where the league average is 0.912...

While his NHL career sample isn't as large, he's been average in Quality Starts and Sv%, and is above real 0.500 for win percentage.

You must know something the Jets coaching staff doesn't. They don't seem to think he's an NHL player. But they actually watch him play. That small sample size comes from Hutch getting stapled to the bench for not beingable to save a high shot. There us no place for Hutch in the organization other than AHL backup even then I'd rather he was gone completely and not hold back younger players with potential.

The Jets have Pav for another season, Buyck showed he's an NHLer Comrie needs playing time to develop. Calm down the rest of you who like to jump on that as calling Comrie the second coming of Roy. He probably needs a couple or three years to develop that consistency as another poster mentioned but he won't get that as an AHL backup.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pav would have to agree to a conditioning stint. He can't be assigned to one against his will. Also the TD might be a factor. Maybe there's hope someone calls for Pav or hutch

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
the only part that was not the right move was riding Helle come hell or high water. Hutchinson should have started a few more times.

but sending Helle back to the Moose is absolutely the correct move. there's no benefit for him to stay in the NHL for the rest of the season. i'd rather he play on the Moose and correct 1 or 2 small things (see his GAA for the past few games) and be ready to be the #1 goalie next year.

as someone else said, the only other question is why Pavs didn't get 1-2 Moose conditioning starts.
otherwise, i find the timing to be interesting re: trade deadline. i really do wonder if Mtl would trade Scrivens and a contract and a pick for Pavs.

You don't lower Buycks quality of competition to make him better. He wasn't sent down to "work on things". He was sent down so Chevy can hoard goaltenders. He will be back when the roster opens up.

I think that would be a huge gamble for the Habs. That would be a lot of cap,on goaltending next year and Pavs contract would be near impossible to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad