Player Discussion Pavel Zacha

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Nothing good comes from overpaying based on an outlier season.

And plenty do. 50pts isn't a significant milestone in this scoring environment

Is it really an outlier season though? In his final two years with the Devils he had a P/GP of 0.59 and this year with Boston he's at 0.60 P/GP. Not to mention that is with him having the 2nd lowest shooting% of his career, with the first being his sophomore season 5 years ago. Zacha is in his prime and will be for the next 4 years. He should get better and at worst maintain his current play (barring any crazy injuries'). Back to my original question though: how many 50pt players are making under $5 million a season?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Then it's more than enough for Sway and Freddy based on what we've discussed.

There's no "saving" for Horvat, lol.
Low end 2.5 for each of them IMO

Lysell at .925.

Three minimum wage 4Th liners

I mean, good for him but are people really confortable with him replacing Krejci? Im not sure but i like his versatility.
Yeah he’s no prime Krejci for sure. It will be interesting to watch him grow. Sometimes a change of scenery inspires greatness

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Zacha surely will improve in the goal scoring dept second half of the season. Let's say he does that and then has a strong playoffs, which he has every chance of doing. He would be in the position of getting well more than the 4.75M that he is already worth if he tested the open market. Bs management sees a big middle-six forward who is clicking with the team and proven he can play at a high level with the top 6. Zacha likes playing in Boston. Deal got hammered out that is fair market value with some upside going forward for the Bs. Win-win. Next up, Pasta...

Reactions: Hookslide and bme44

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I mean, good for him but are people really confortable with him replacing Krejci? Im not sure but i like his versatility.

You're not going to replace Krejci, just like you'll never really replace Bergeron. I think people realized once he was gone last year just have good he really was (and still is). Krejci gives this team two #1C's to throw out onto the ice and we've been fortunate enough to have him in a 2C role. I do think Zacha can be a 2C for a contender and he has the skills/talent to do it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Zacha leads team 5x5 assists

Monty uses him after power plays with Coyle

Very good defensive awareness

I sit by glass and was curious on his hockey smarts and defensive game / watched him over and over like he was my kids or Sobotka 😂 and pleasantly surprised at how good he is

Because he doesn’t have that extra 10 points on a power play time and his shooting percentage down he’s not good the points

I’m GM I do this in a heart beat - fantastic preemptive strike
Moves down to 6th on the team if you do primary 5 on 5 assists, he has almost 2x as many secondary assists as primary. And he has the same number of 5 on 5 goals as Nosek, and less than Greer (despite having 2x as many 5 on 5 minutes).

He's a fine player and in the abstract it's not a bad contract. But given the cap crunch coming... it's not a particularly good one either.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Moves down to 6th on the team if you do primary 5 on 5 assists, he has almost 2x as many secondary assists as primary. And he has the same number of 5 on 5 goals as Nosek, and less than Greer (despite having 2x as many 5 on 5 minutes).

He's a fine player and in the abstract it's not a bad contract. But given the cap crunch coming... it's not a particularly good one either.
I got it from podcasts they didn’t break down assists quality or secondary

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

"If Pasta gets $11m per year that leaves maybe $4 million in cap space for Swayman, Frederic, 2 4th liners, a 7th D and then 1 more center (Bergeron or Krejci?)"

Grzelcyk gone ? Gonna be tight cap again.

Move Grizz and Reilly another 6.5 cap opens, they will have to buy the Reilly cap space with a pick or prospect but that leaves them in decent shape to resign Pasta, Swaymen, Frederic and ideally Bergeron

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I got it from podcasts they didn’t break down assists quality or secondary
Naturalstattrick.com let's you see primary vs secondary. He's a good passer, so it's not necessarily bad that he has a lot more secondary assists than primary, but it does suggest that he's more of a 2nd or 3rd wheel on a line. Whether that's worth 4.75m or not is up for discussion. Again, I don't think it's a bad contract in the abstract... but it means other roster choices are going to have to be made and we'll have to see how it shakes out.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Naturalstattrick.com lets you see primary vs secondary. He's a good passer, so it's not necessarily bad that he has a lot more secondary assists than primary, but it does suggest that he's more of a 2nd or 3rd wheel on a line. Whether that's worth 4.75m or not is up for discussion. Again, I don't think it's a bad contract in the abstract... but it means other roster choices are going to have to be made and we'll have to see how it shakes out.
Hopefully it works out for him and the Bruins and their fans

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My first thought is that this is a mistake.

I assume the B's are looking at him as their #2c going forward, and I hope he works out there, it's good value for a 2c... Zacha works hard but I don't consider him one of our play drivers. Maybe he can grow into that, but he misses a lot of goals that seem like tap-ins (which makes me anxious for the playoffs), and I think a lot of his assists are secondary, the result of 46 & 88's magic...

So, long story short, it's a lot of money and term for a guy that needs to play with better players to be successful. The one potential saving grace is that he's still young and maybe he takes another step next year, the way Ullmark has.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If Krejci retires ? You roll out

Marchand-Bergeron - DeBrusk
Hall- Zacha- Pastrnak

Frederic- Coyle - Lysell ?

Bergeron leaves you go get Horvat

My feeling is Bergeron plays a couple more years and Eichel gets his chance to play at home his last 8 years

Still would have to clear around $8m to make that lineup work with Bergeron taking another team friendly deal, and letting Clifton walk.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
If Krejci retires ? You roll out

Marchand-Bergeron - DeBrusk
Hall- Zacha- Pastrnak

Frederic- Coyle - Lysell ?

Bergeron leaves you go get Horvat

My feeling is Bergeron plays a couple more years and Eichel gets his chance to play at home his last 8 years
I agree but i think Horvat gets 7.5 min,now where do we come up with the $$$ to fill the roster? This would be a tough thing to do. One can hope.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This potential version of next year's lineup would suggest cuts need to be made...

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (12)
Right Wing: Jake DeBrusk ($4,000,000) - David Pastrnak ($11,000,000) - Fabian Lysell ($894,167) - Oskar Steen ($800,000)
Centre: Patrice Bergeron ($2,500,000) - Pavel Zacha ($4,750,000) - Charlie Coyle ($5,250,000) - Marc McLaughlin ($850,000)
Left Wing: Brad Marchand ($6,125,000) - Taylor Hall ($6,000,000) - Trent Frederic ($1,250,000) - Jakub Lauko ($850,000)

DEFENSE (6)
Right: Charlie McAvoy ($9,500,000) - Brandon Carlo ($4,100,000) - Jakub Zboril ($1,137,500)
Left: Matt Grzelcyk ($3,687,500) - Hampus Lindholm ($6,500,000) - Derek Forbort ($3,000,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Linus Ullmark ($5,000,000) - Jeremy Swayman ($3,500,000)

SPARES
Greer ($762,500)
Beecher ($925,000)
Wissman ($850,000)

BUYOUTS (1)
Mike Reilly ($333,334)

OVERAGES
$4,650,000

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Cap Hit: $89,565,001
Cap Space: -$4,715,001

Last edited:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I just don't know. I hope it turns out to be a good deal. As usual, I am scared.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Maybe you trade Coyle in the offseason? 5.25 mil is a lot for our 3rd line C, not really a luxury you can afford.

I think you take the risk that Frederic can replace him as 3rd C on a bridge deal.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Maybe you trade Coyle in the offseason? 5.25 mil is a lot for our 3rd line C, not really a luxury you can afford.

I think you take the risk that Frederic can replace him as 3rd C on a bridge deal.

Hint: Coyle won't be our 3rd line C next year

(but he is this year, and it's working, fwiw)

Reactions: HustleB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad