Player Discussion Pavel Zacha

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I totally missed this last night dealing with sick kids after the game.

Wow! Didn’t see it coming. Had him pegged as getting the Charlie Coyle deal and this seems far friendlier.

He hasn’t driven play like I hoped he would when we dealt for him, but he’s not a guy one struggles to find a place for either. He’s played well in every forward position and on every line he’s been on. I’m a fan and I think he’s got more to give.

This is an excellent deal and a real surprise. Very happy to see this this morning.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Zacha signing is a good thing from a number of perspectives

- a replacement for what I think is the very likely event that #46 hangs them up after this year ( note I am a huge fan and will hate to see him go but I think the writing is on the wall)
- another reason for Pasta to sign and stay
- a versatile player who can play all three forward positions, is entering his prime and whose contract is a reasonable length
- $4.75m is market ( or a little below) market number

I know a lot of people are not DS fans but this is another in a lengthy string of positive moves over the last 2-3 years

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
To me this implies DK46 is done - just a gut
Thats my perspective too. I think we should be fine rolling a 2nd line like Hall-Zacha-Pasta even if Zacha isn't ideally a 2nd Line C, as nice as a Horvat or Larkin would be this is much friendlier.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I think they don’t expect Krejci back next season or don’t plan on bringing him back ,and he’s their plan to replace him.
2024-2025 we should see significant cap increase. If Krejci and Bergeron play next year bonus can be deferred to 2024-2025. Could see Krejci, Bergy and Folingo on 1M + bonuses next year if they play.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
He's a low 30 pt player who is a defensive liability.

Yeah he can look good next to krejci and Pastrnak, but it's smoke and mirrors

Were you one of the people that disliked the Linus signing too?

Zacha is going to have 30 pts this season in a few weeks with a lot of games to go. in BOSTON, with this coach, he's clearly not a low 30 pt player.

Reactions: Kegs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Personally I think this is going to become a very good deal for the Bruins going forward. Zacha has not reached his full potential yet IMO. If he stays the player he is today for the next four years still a good deal. I love that he plays a strong 200' game . There is a lot in Zacha's game to like.
I agree with you and we both can be wrong together ...........I feel this guy has shown enough at both ends of the ice and he does a lot of the little things that do not show up on the stats sheet , I would like to see him bury a few but I think that is coming . I like players with skill and have not reached his potential yet , and a big plus he wants to be here . I loved the trade and anytime you can get a 25 year old with versatility for a 31 year old I am all in...........I applaud Sweeney for this one and that is something I do not normally do......

• Love
Reactions: bme44

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

If Krejci retires ? You roll out

Marchand-Bergeron - DeBrusk
Hall- Zacha- Pastrnak

Frederic- Coyle - Lysell ?

Bergeron leaves you go get Horvat

My feeling is Bergeron plays a couple more years and Eichel gets his chance to play at home his last 8 years

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I agree with you and we both can be wrong together ...........I feel this guy has shown enough at both ends of the ice and he does a lot of the little things that do not show up on the stats sheet , I would like to see him bury a few but I think that is coming . I like players with skill and have not reached his potential yet , and a big plus he wants to be here . I loved the trade and anytime you can get a 25 year old with versatility for a 31 year old I am all in...........I applaud Sweeney for this one and that is something I do not normally do......
I could not word my felling on Zacha any better . Let's hope we are correct . The finishing of plays needs to improve ,but that will come with comfort and confidence. Look at DeBrusk this year and how he has improved.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Zacha leads team 5x5 assists

Monty uses him after power plays with Coyle

Very good defensive awareness

I sit by glass and was curious on his hockey smarts and defensive game / watched him over and over like he was my kids or Sobotka 😂 and pleasantly surprised at how good he is

Because he doesn’t have that extra 10 points on a power play time and his shooting percentage down he’s not good the points

I’m GM I do this in a heart beat - fantastic preemptive strike

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
like to see him score more but he`s on a 50 pt pace, have to think if I were to look around at other 50 pt players, it`s likely I`d find more than a few who have been paid more

Reactions: Kegs

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
If Krejci retires ? You roll out

Marchand-Bergeron - DeBrusk
Hall- Zacha- Pastrnak

Frederic- Coyle - Lysell ?

Bergeron leaves you go get Horvat

My feeling is Bergeron plays a couple more years and Eichel gets his chance to play at home his last 8 years
You can't afford to sign everyone next year as it is. There's definitely no way you can afford Horvat as well. Not without moving extra salary out. I think they buy out Reilly and probably move one of Grzelcyk or Forbort. Gonna need alot of low/ELC next year if they want to sign Pasta

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
The best thing that could have happened to Zacha was being traded to a team with the leadership of Boston. He now gets to watch and learn from great players who have been in the league for years and know what it takes to be successful ... Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci ... learn and see the dedication, perseverance, daily mind set, the intangibles, and understand how to have fun while doing it. All he has to do is copy those guys and apply it to how he approaches his game. He is not expected to be a leader here and carry the team; he has the luxury now that he can just go out and play, learn, and understand his role. If things go well, hopefully one day as he matures in his understanding and confidence, the torch will pass.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
like to see him score more but he`s on a 50 pt pace, have to think if I were to look around at other 50 pt players, it`s likely I`d find more than a few who have been paid more
Leads team 5x5 assists / 3rd in points - high danger area top 20%. They got him because he wanted to be here.

Don’t look past the chemistry he has both on and off the ice with Pastrnak

To me he’s a $5.5 player but hockey’s my third sport and maybe I’m finally wrong about something in 2022-23 about Zacha (doubtful though)

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Zacha leads team 5x5 assists

Monty uses him after power plays with Coyle

Very good defensive awareness

I sit by glass and was curious on his hockey smarts and defensive game / watched him over and over like he was my kids or Sobotka 😂 and pleasantly surprised at how good he is

Because he doesn’t have that extra 10 points on a power play time and his shooting percentage down he’s not good the points

I’m GM I do this in a heart beat - fantastic preemptive strike
I am curious about this.

My wife and I are going to the games when the Bruins visit us out West. I’ve wondered since the beginning of the season if Zacha’s game looks different live than it does on television.

Definitely a player I’ll be playing close attention to.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Don’t look past the chemistry he has both on and off the ice with Pastrnak

To me he’s a $5.5 player but hockey’s my third sport and maybe I’m finally wrong about something in 2022-23 about Zacha (doubtful though)
good point friend, I think you mentioned in a previous post about you sitting by glass and having a chance to watch his game up close and personal. Even from my couch, I see a guy who does so many subtle things , rarely do we find him out of position, contributes offensively although love to see him light the lamp a bit more but I think it`s a case here where the lineup is so deep and only one puck, he`s been a very very important piece to the success of this season

Reactions: Hookslide

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As long as they re-sign Pasta I'm fine with it, but I would probably have saved as much cap space as I could to make sure he signs. I am hoping they already know he will If they lose him because of money I will go scorched earth on them.

I like Zacha, but I don't think the deal is a steal by any means. If he can be a good 2C then it's a steal, but nobody knows if he consistently can yet (37% face off pct, 2 goals 5v5)).

I'll wait to see how it shakes out with Pasta.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Real good read.

Agreed, but teams now know the Bruins are even way more bent over the cap now.

I mean, I'm sure they can figure the cap out but at what cost? It's tiring dumping assets to move contracts.

I know it's kinda nitpicky but it has to be a concern, unless of course they know what it's going to take.

I am curious about this.

My wife and I are going to the games when the Bruins visit us out West. I’ve wondered since the beginning of the season if Zacha’s game looks different live than it does on television.

Definitely a player I’ll be playing close attention to.
I've seen him a lot on the Devils and only one time live as a Bruin and he's just a far different player. Seems faster, smarter....Playing with all stars will do that but he really has bought in.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Agreed, but teams now know the Bruins are even way more bent over the cap now.

I mean, I'm sure they can figure the cap out but at what cost? It's tiring dumping assets to move contracts.

I know it's kinda nitpicky but it has to be a concern, unless of course they know what it's going to take.

I've seen him a lot on the Devils and only one time live as a Bruin and he's just a far different player. Seems faster, smarter....Playing with all stars will do that but he really has bought in.
Bruins cap 2023 2024.PNG

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Too much. After that wiff vs the Laffs last night I was thinking let him go or trade him at the deadline. How is he worth more than DeBrusk?
He’s a center. Remember, they need two if they loose 46 and 37.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad