Player Discussion Pavel Zacha

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
First blush seems a little high, but if he continues the all around strong play defensively and on the PK, it’s money we’ll spent, IMO.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Seems steep for what he is now. Maybe there’s more there they project. Maybe they’re a little desperate for young nhl centers. Maybe it’s a combination. Maybe I have no idea what I’m talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 22Brad Park

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
People can feel what they want but at worst this is a market level deal. 20 teams in the NHL wish they could sign this. No brainer.
I take a market-level deal for a proven commodity vs. what we'd have to sign this offseason at risk. He has done well on every line in our top-9. Not spectacular but he contributes anywhere. That's all he has to do when he plays with players like Krejci and Pasta.

After next year, cap will be going up a lot. Still think he is yet to hit his stride here and it will be good value for an important and versatile role player. He's a young player I'm happy to have locked up for a few years.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Guessing this means Krejci is gone and Zacha likely is 2C? Run kids Lysell on 3 RW and Beecher/McLaughlin as 4C next season for cheap cap

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
This + Pasta at the rumored 11 mil aav + ~$4.6 mil of bonus overages and idk how we're icing a full roster next year lol. Was hoping this extension would be sub-$4 mil. Like the player though, good guy to have around.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON BRUINS QUOTES

Pavel Zacha Contract Extension

January 14, 2023​

BOSTON BRUINS GENERAL MANAGER DON SWEENEY AND BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD PAVEL ZACHA…

Opening remarks…

Zacha: “I just want to thank the Jacobs family and the general managers and coaches who helped me get to this opportunity to play here in Boston. All the teammates, my agents, and my family who supported me my whole life. Just thankful to be part of this organization.”

On how long he’s been working on this deal…

Sweeney: “I think we made it pretty clear when we first had the opportunity to bring Pavel on board that we thought highly of him, and we were hopeful that he’d be a part of our future. I know that Evan Gold, Paul Capizzano and Pav’s group certainly had discussions about a longer-trend deal. With the situation, we found common ground pretty quickly on a one-year deal, and then it sort of allowed us to explore at the right time. As you all know, every deal kind of has its own cadence and timeline and we’re fortunate to come to a fairly quick agreement and be happy. Certainly happy to have him be a part of our organization, not just this year, but moving forward.”

On Zacha playing center this season…

Sweeney: “I think we were pretty obvious when we first acquired him; the versatility Pavel brings in playing all three positions and in moving forward, an eye towards center ice that we’re wanting to have to find a way to continue to add to our group. I think that his versatility has shown through. He plays in all situations in a hockey game and has been a big part of our group. Fit in very well, comfortable with several of his countrymen. But overall, a very well-liked young man that we’re happy to have going forward, and it addresses a positional need in the future.”

On moving around this season…

Zacha: “Yeah, it’s been good. You know, one of my strengths that I was able to play wing and center. And coming here, playing in such a good team that every line, every player here has been really good. Really helping me out too, playing and seeing Bergy [Patrice Bergeron], seeing Charlie Coyle, these guys — that helps my game to, [David] Krejci. These guys that I can talk to on a daily basis and just help me grow as a player and as a teammate too. I think being a part of this team has helped me and I’m just lucky to be able to be here for a longer time.”

On how comfortable it must be now that he knows he’s going to be here long term…

Zacha: “Yeah, as we said, when I got the news that I was going to be traded here in the summer, I was hoping that I was going to show myself and will be able to be here for a long time and I’m happy that it happened. It’s a start, you know, it’s my first season and I have to prove myself and show why I’m here and why I’m going to be here for a longer time and it’s just super exciting for me to be part of this.”

On what it’s been like playing for the Bruins and what it’s been like having a successful season…

Zacha: “Yeah, it’s been a good season so far. I think with the group that we have, you know, short memory and playing in five game segments and every player wants to go far this year and win. It’s just such a winning culture that I’m part of, it’s something that has helped me to personally to be a better player. So, it’s been a good season so far, but we have a long season ahead of us and we have to focus on that."

On the depth of the team and how that’s added a dimension…

Sweeney: “Well it’s a teamwide philosophy that we’re trying to play a faster game in all three zones. Whether that’s closing or whether that’s transition… It’s certainly something that Monty [Jim Montgomery] preaches all the time, and then having guys of the quality of player like Pav [Pavel Zacha] and the players that you mentioned, to be able to play a little heavier, a possession game in the offensive zone, has added another layer to our hockey club and it’s only going to get harder between now and the end of the year. I think the way that we’re trying to play and you know, it was a really good hockey game tonight. We came out on the good side, but we have a lot of work to do and these guys stay in the moment. They’re not getting ahead of themselves, it’s a process-driven team and stylistically, I think there’s a nice blend of what Monty wants, to how he wants to play and the players have bought into it and to a man they go out and try and execute.”

On if he expects other signings before July…

Sweeney: “I think, as I mentioned earlier, every situation is unique. Every player is unique. In the situation that Pav was in, had an opportunity to take a one-year and turn it into four extra. Everybody else, we will continue to communicate with, and if the opportunity presents itself, and with the support of the organization, between Cam and Charlie and Mr. Jacobs, we’re very fortunate that when we’re in positions to execute, we try and do it right, and we will continue to try to do that moving forward.”

On if there is anything new on David Pastrnak…

“No.”

On going into the trade deadline…

Sweeney: “You’ve got to hope you stay healthy, and I think we have a good hockey team. I think we’re deep, but we’re probably going to have to continue to add and supplement. We’ve been blending in some of the players that have played particularly well down in Providence and earned an opportunity, so we’re going to continue to evaluate that if the opportunity presents itself. There haven’t been a lot of trades up until this point. We’ll have to see going forward. It’ll take some creativity for clubs like our own that have some cap challenges, but chances are that most of the teams that are hopefully going to get an opportunity to play in the playoffs generally have cap challenges, and we’re no different. We’re going to try to do our best to put the best team we possibly can.”

On if he wants to go all in this year or look to the future…

Sweeney: "My job is to put the best team on the ice year to year, balance it. Live in the moment for what this group wants to try and accomplish, and good on them. Like I said, process-driven group, and we’ll address things as they come, and I’ll do the best job I possibly can for the organization.”

Reactions: Alicat

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Not in love with this ilk of deal cause my feeling is always that, these complimentary roles up front should be filled through the draft, but he's been reasonably good.

If, long-term, you see him as a middle-6 center over the next 3-4 seasons, then it's definitely pretty good market value. I am curious what he looks like when he is meant to be driving his own line.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Personally I think this is going to become a very good deal for the Bruins going forward. Zacha has not reached his full potential yet IMO. If he stays the player he is today for the next four years still a good deal. I love that he plays a strong 200' game . There is a lot in Zacha's game to like.

JayMark

Jul 13, 2022
Too much. After that wiff vs the Laffs last night I was thinking let him go or trade him at the deadline. How is he worth more than DeBrusk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad