Value of: Pavel Zacha

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Pavel Zacha gets a lot of flack for not being the offensive force that the Devils and fans have wanted him to become. He was the last 1st Round pick (2015) of the old regime with Lou and Conte, being a player who fits what they have done over the years with being very defensively responsible first. Obviously, the game has changed and while players like Zacha are most definitely needed, he is in a role as 2c that does not suit him. He could be a great 3C with his defensive responsibility and penalty kill, but Zajac is in that spot because that is a perfect role for him. Realistically, what I can see happening is Zacha gets traded (in a package) for a 2C that can exploit the abilities of Marcus Johansson and Jesper Bratt. The plan being for 3C down the road being McLeod filling that role once the Zajac contract expires.

So I pose a few questions:

1) What is Pavel Zacha's value alone?

2) What kind of packages can you put Zacha with other prospects and picks to get the 2C that would make the second line a lot more dynamic?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Pavel Zacha gets a lot of flack for not being the offensive force that the Devils and fans have wanted him to become. He was the last 1st Round pick (2015) of the old regime with Lou and Conte, being a player who fits what they have done over the years with being very defensively responsible first. Obviously, the game has changed and while players like Zacha are most definitely needed, he is in a role as 2c that does not suit him. He could be a great 3C with his defensive responsibility and penalty kill, but Zajac is in that spot because that is a perfect role for him. Realistically, what I can see happening is Zacha gets traded (in a package) for a 2C that can exploit the abilities of Marcus Johansson and Jesper Bratt. The plan being for 3C down the road being McLeod filling that role once the Zajac contract expires.

So I pose a few questions:

1) What is Pavel Zacha's value alone?

2) What kind of packages can you put Zacha with other prospects and picks to get the 2C that would make the second line a lot more dynamic?
He doesn’t have even close to enough to trade him right now. /thread

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Life would be easy for an NHL GM if you could trade a 3C for a 2C....assuming were not talking about older centers of course.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
he’s worth a 4th round pick. it doesn’t make sense to trade him, especially given zajac’s injury

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
He's good defensively and has periods of o-zone dominance, but no one's going to give anything significant for him right now. If he goes in a deal, it'll be as a small piece in a much bigger scenario. Also, McLeod is very very raw and not even close to Zacha's level. Zacha is an NHL player whereas it's debatable that McLeod will ever be one.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I'd think someone like Benning would give a 3rd for him.
He loves trying to take on reclamation projects.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I remember when I made a 1st round pick + Zacha for Pacioretty proposal on this board (and got trashed for it). Show how little I know, I'm glad we got a better return than that.

Reactions: Grabner

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Athanasiou?
I really like Athanasiou, but he's more of what we hope McLeod to become. Zacha still has more upside than AA so I don't see a swap making sense. Also, AA is exactly the type of player I could see Zacha having great chemistry with, just as he and Wood had insane chemistry.

I remember when I made a 1st round pick + Zacha for Pacioretty proposal on this board (and got trashed for it). Show how little I know, I'm glad we got a better return than that.
Haha. Pacioretty isn't worth Zacha or a 1st alone. Congrats on ripping of McPhee, but no way in hell Shero would have given up more than a 2nd+3rd for Pacioretty (who has looked like hot garbage so far this year).

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You're not going to get an upgrade (2C) in return unless that player is a contract dump or an impending free agent. You would probably get better value for someone like Zacha in futures if you trust your scouts. Safest bet is to just hold onto him and let him hopefully develop more. I know it's not popular opinion around here, but at 21 he's more than likely still a long way from a finished product.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
I knew he'd bust after he wasn't on a PPG pace in the OHL when he was drafted 6th overall. Called it once again!
VOTTxpV.png

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is it really the worst thing in the world if the guy is just a really solid 3C for his career?
No. Especially if he can push him points from the 25 range, into the 30-40 range. Going from a 20 point ES guy to a 30+ guy would be good for him and the team.

I fully expect him to get points against the Flyers today as they are slump busters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad