Value of: Pavel Zacha

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some guys burst into the NHL, others ease their way in, others bust. Zacha is one of the latter two, but it's way too early to call him a bust. Just hold onto him...a good C is really hard to get. He has some value...maybe a late 1st, or an older, decent player. An earlier thread mentioned Nino, but NJD didn't think that is enough...if you think that isn't enough, then you really have to hold onto him, because i think that's the most you would get. Expecting a legit 2C is kind of bizarre, unless there is some kind of telling backstory.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Less than Provorov, Rantanen, Werenski, Barzal and Connor, you know all the people that actually followed that draft would have taken ahead of him.

Worst pick I've ever witnessed live.

I must admit I to thought that was a major reach. I live in SOUTH Jersey and I heard the rumors about his work ethic and consistency his draft year. There was just way to much talent ahead of him in his class. Sometimes people make mistakes and taking him that early was one. I would rather have a kid who plays hard all the time and you have to school him to slow down in spots than one you have to light a fire up his ass to play hard. Just my opinion. But wow when you look at the talent the bevs could have had instead of him ouch!

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I'm pretty sure that if Zacha's value is a third round pick, a deal would have been done and 30 teams would be lining up

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
That's just an asinine assessment, sorry.

I would think that you, especially, would understand the paradox of a defensive-minded young center that takes longer than usual to break out offensively.

I think some of us Flyer fans just get sick and tired of a certain NJ Devils fan who's been kicked off several times but is back trolling the Flyers discussions with what he thinks are Lolz.
Sometimes it gets taken out on real hockey fans (I'm guilty) when it shouldn't. Hopefully some day his mommy finds him a real hobby.

Reactions: Tripod

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gross.

I wouldn't trade either player for that package, let alone both. Not a shot.
To be fair that would've been the response to Zacha being offered up last season.

Though I will admit I'm not really in tune with NJ's current needs, but out of the three JPs still got the higher upside today.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Those are interesting rankings given his production with the Sting in the OHL was 34 point in 37 games in his draft year. He had the size at 6’3 and 200 lbs. gambling on his offense to get better.
Contrary to popular opinion on this site, draft picks aren't made solely based on box score stats. It was his first season in North America and he was plagued by injuries, but anyone who watched him could see the size and skill there. Even now, size and skill isn't even the problem, but he's a very passive player who isn't engaged in the offensive zone enough.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
here are Central Scouting's final rankings:
NHL Central Scouting's 2015 final rankings

Zacha 8th

Some other rankings:
2015 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

10th (Malloy)
6th (Bob McKenzie)
10th (ISS)

facts matter.
Not to nitpick, but the 8th ranking in North American skaters only. Rantanen was ranked the top Euro so that could have dropped his ranking since 7-12 guys on the site you listed, had Rants higher.

But again, it's 1 spot. And on draft day, there were like 15 different guys that people thought could be top 10 picks and Zacha was one of them.

Not all guys in the top 10 are going to work out as hoped in every draft. You just have to hope that yours does. And it's still too early to say what Zacha will/won't be. But it's also fair to be disappointed in him do far and wish your team grabbed another guy since so many after him have been playing great.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I must admit I to thought that was a major reach. I live in SOUTH Jersey and I heard the rumors about his work ethic and consistency his draft year. There was just way to much talent ahead of him in his class. Sometimes people make mistakes and taking him that early was one. I would rather have a kid who plays hard all the time and you have to school him to slow down in spots than one you have to light a fire up his ass to play hard. Just my opinion. But wow when you look at the talent the bevs could have had instead of him ouch!
His work ethic is fine. I suspect concussions have ruined him. He had a few in a short amount of time, and plays extremely timid. He had multiple suspensions in his draft year due to borderline hits. Nowadays, he hardly hits. Physical play doesn't just go away- especially when coaches have been in his ear for a couple of years to play harder.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
here are Central Scouting's final rankings:
NHL Central Scouting's 2015 final rankings

Zacha 8th

Some other rankings:
2015 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

10th (Malloy)
6th (Bob McKenzie)
10th (ISS)

facts matter.

And you act like there isn't a conversation going on throughout the year.

I was also in the camp that ridiculed Hanifin being ranked too high.

'Facts'.... sure, clearly drafted the best player.

Blogs were burying Zacha all year in his draft year. Dem stat nerdz

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Zacha is a complete bust right now. A good part of it is the complete incompetence of the Devils organization to develop young players. Zacha should have played at least 2 full years in the AHL. He should be in the AHL now and play the rest of the season there. The Devils seem to have this idiotic philosophy of not playing their prospects in the AHL. You would have thought they would have learned something.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I actually wanted the Flyers to draft Zacha if Provorov wasn't there lel oops.

I was dead against them drafting Crouse, tho. Everybody could see that bust coming a mile away.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
My thought exactly.
People get hung up on where he was drafted.
Hell, most 1st rounders arent top-6/top-4 NHLers
Maybe not most 1st rounders but we aren't talking about pick in the 20s here. Most forwards who are top 10 picks do turn into top 6 forwards so a #6 overall pick should definitely be better than an average 3C. If he doesn't end up a top 6 forward he's not a bust but he's certainly a disappointment especially when you consider the 4 players taken directly after him.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Zacha is a complete bust right now. A good part of it is the complete incompetence of the Devils organization to develop young players. Zacha should have played at least 2 full years in the AHL. He should be in the AHL now and play the rest of the season there. The Devils seem to have this idiotic philosophy of not playing their prospects in the AHL. You would have thought they would have learned something.

Speaking of learning something...

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors. A perfect example of this is Jared Knight, this year. Knight won't turn 20 until January 16, 2012. He's already completed two years in juniors, playing his third in London this season. If things continue along their course, and Knight does not make the NHL Bruins for the 2011-2012 season, he'll have to play that year in London as well, and will be eligible for AHL play in 2012-2013. Barring CHL involvement, players have to be 18 by September 15 to be eligible for the AHL at all.

How Does The NHL-CHL Agreement work?

Zacha only played 2 years with Sarnia so he was not eligible for the AHL. It was join the Devils or stay in Sarnia as an overagesd player.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Less than Provorov, Rantanen, Werenski, Barzal and Connor, you know all the people that actually followed that draft would have taken ahead of him.

Worst pick I've ever witnessed live.

As a Flyers fan who wanted nothing to do with Zacha on draft day and was all-in on Provorov, it was one of the best picks I've witnessed live.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Hockey fans are so stupid, just let the season play out at a minimum. Zacha is highly talented I would like to see him get some consistency in his line and some PP time at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->