Pavel Datsyuk appreciation thread

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Not a discussion thread about the recent sad news. But given that news, and seeing how some have scorned my favourite all-time player, figured an appreciation thread was warranted. so here goes.

Farewell Pav, you defined the Wings offence in the post-Yzerman and Co. years, bringing home the Cup in '08, and a hair away in '09. You gave us highlight reel goals, highlight reel assists, and you had the rare ability of making even takeaways, dangles, and other small moves highlight reel as well. You were elite on all areas of the ice. And as the team shrunk around you, especially once #5 left, you carried this team along with your continental twin, even as your abilities diminished. I started cheering the Wings during your rookie season, and you're the biggest reason why I could never cheer for another team. Three cheers for Pav! :handclap:

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
The Magic Man defined an era of the Red Wings and made this team exciting to watch. It's sobering to think of how much less creative and exciting this team will be without him. Thanks for the many years of magic, Pavel!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't hold anything against him except for not knowing this was his last season.

If I'd known I'd have made a trek to a game and had a sign to let him know how much I appreciated his playing for us. Now I can't.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
I am going to miss watching the slick takeaways, sharp foot work, and cutting stick maneuvers. There is something so oddly poetic watching Pavel Datsyuk work and there is no question that although he may not be the greatest NHL player whoever lived, there is only one and only will ever be one Pavel Datsyuk. Whats even better is that he did this while remaining humble, and appreciative.

I'm glad I got a chance to go to a game and see him live this year. My only regret is not having done so sooner.

Thanks for the memories!

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
This guy needs to have the highest quality video ever made of all this Datsyuk moments. There are already alot of good highlight videos of his goals and stuff already out there. But I mean I want to see his greatest takeaways, the little plays along the board, etc all need to be included too. All his best moments ever. Those amazing dekes that actually didn't result in a goal. I wish I knew how to do that stuff.

Like if we made a topic and everyone helped recall all these moments so we didn't miss anything important and we had someone willing to put the video together. Utilizing the highest quality video we can get. That would be great. This player was one of a kind and we should do this so we all have something we can keep and pass on down the road.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He wasn't the best Wings player I've seen in my life, but I think he was the first player where I was really able to understand how dominant he was. I still remember that series against Phoenix maybe 5-6 years back where he was just crazy dominant. A real one man show. He didn't score a ton that series, but his effect on possession was monstrous. Phoenix was playing total defense, but Datsyuk would just walk right through them.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I've been a Wings fan since I was 8 years old (95' season) and while Yzerman and Federov were players I admired early on.....Datsyuk will always be my favorite Red Wing. A complete player and an absolute joy to watch. :yo:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's my favorite hockey player ever, and probably always will be. Very upset today.

The most instinctive and creative player I've ever watched.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
i made this a few years ago
gallery_16438_33_1351794.jpg

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Next year could be rough so I hope Pavel empties the bag and it would awesome to see him leave with a bang...ie--win a round in the playoffs and lead the team in points.

Quiet and hard-working, a unique talent with so much creativity. He played bigger than his size and was quick while not having blazing speed. The two most jaw-dropping talents I've seen in a Wings uniform: Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Datsyuk.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Probably the worst news you can wake up to. Pav is one of my favorite players of all time - he's the most entertaining for sure. I was fortunate enough to watch his entire career and he will be missed greatly.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
One of the most exciting players to ever play in the NHL

He will be missed

Absolutely.

Even on plays that didn't lead to goals, he'd pull these jaw dropping moves. A true magician.

I remember when he first started playing for the Wings I thought he'd maybe be like a Slava Kozlov (I may have been overly influenced by the jersey number). A quiet guy who has some tricky moves and might be a decent second line sniper. Man was I wrong.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
For me the most creative player to ever lace up a pair of skates that I've seen. Quiet, humble, but a guy who played with heart and a consummate professional. Lastly a guy who started out as somewhat one-dimensional and un-clutch but who became one of the best two-way hockey players in the modern era and if not for some untimely injuries to our team could easily have won more than just 2 cups. Certainly one of my favourite players of all-time.

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
The most entertaining athlete in Detroit since Barry Sanders.

Among thousands of hours of awesome thanks to Pavel, some of my favorites are his hit on Shea Weber, deeking Logan Couture to the ground, the backhand snipe against SJ in the playoffs, stripping Jagr and scoring, the first "Datsyuk" against Marty Turco.

What a joy and pleasure to watch.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
My favourite ever Datsyuk goal. Not just for the way he shovels the puck in with his backhand, showcasing one of his greatest skills. But the way he sticks his left skate out to block the defencemans diving poke check. Love it.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
My favorite player to ever watch in person. Wish I could have seen him play one last time in person.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's the master of the little things. Pavel Datsyuk will be carrying the puck through the neutral zone, then stick lift the defender's poke check and skate by him, like wtf the smallest thing but biggest impact.

27-datsyuk-goal-vs-bruins-pavel-datsyuk-gifs.gif

I'll never forget watching this play in live speed. A decimated Datsyuk, coming back from injury for the playoffs - his team getting destroyed all game but somehow still in the game. Then he goes and makes something so difficult seem so effortless to win the game. That's how I'll remember Pavel Datsyuk, for all the times he made me laugh at loud at the screen when he made a quality NHLer look stupid and for the times I was awestruck by a backhander roof shot, a wrister no human could save, or a pass no one else could possible see. If the contract stays on the books I'll be upset and I'll get over it, but I'll tell my grandkids stories about watching Pavel Datsyuk and I'm sure I'll never say anything about his contract.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
One of the best players to ever play the game. When he was in his prime, he was the best player in the world. There can never be another Datsyuk.

50nmfb.jpg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Datsyuk has been literally the only reason I've stayed up to watch so many Red Wings games. Without him, I would have been much more satisfied watching a highlight package the day after. But with Pavel it hasn't just been the amazing scoring plays, it's been all the other things. The takeaways, the dangles, the brilliant passes, the ease with which he has navigated through traffic and found openings. Just endlessly fascinating player to watch and one that I haven't wanted to miss a single shift from. The highlight reels don't do him justice, but they are damn good.

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
He was the best player in the world while in his prime and one of my all time favourites. I'm going to miss watching him control the pace of game and dominating the puck. I respect his descision although I wish we could have just one more year.

Hang 13 in the rafters!! He more than deserves it.

deltawing

Feb 22, 2009
MI
I've been a Wings fan since I was 8 years old (95' season) and while Yzerman and Federov were players I admired early on.....Datsyuk will always be my favorite Red Wing. A complete player and an absolute joy to watch. :yo:

You and I are in the exact same scenario. This news hits me hard. What a treat to have witnessed a career like his and a player of his caliber.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I hope that he has an amazing post-NHL life in Russia. It was an absolute honor to watch him play his entire career here - truly a one of a kind player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad