Prospect Info: Pavel Buchnevich Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
The whole muscle/weight room thing is so blown out of proportion. It really depends on your game and your DNA. The weight room killed Christian Dube (blast from the past). The Rangers told him to get stronger, so he decided to hit the weights and put on a lot of muscle. Killed his speed and flexibility. Now, granted, he was never going to be the player he was drafted to be, but his game was not muscle and grinding. He misinterpreted what the Rangers meant by "stronger" and assumed they wanted a body builder. If your game is speed and agility, you don't want to pack out with muscle. Patrick Kane is a slight dude, even with whatever muscle he has. Carl Hagelin is a slight dude even with whatever muscle he has. Buch will be just fine. He will get with the team strength and conditioning people and be exactly where they want him to be. If Buch is spending most of his time banging in corners, the Rangers are in trouble. You want him working in space and with speed. He needs to have a certain level of physical play, but that is not his overall game. Let guys play to their strengths as opposed to trying to get everyone to be great at everything. Not going to happen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not worried about Buch --- neither his gym time or his contract status.

I just hope this board can give this kid some time to adjust regardless of whether he starts slow or comes out of the gate flying.

I also hope the kid doesn't get saddled with the expectations of someone who is going to come in here and save the franchise either.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
30-35 points over a full 82 games season. I think that would be a successful first season for Buch. That's 3rd line territory. People expecting more are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

He has a lot of talent, and he will be a solid addition for this team, but he is still very young, and the NHL is quite a bit different than the KHL.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
30-35 points over a full 82 games season. I think that would be a successful first season for Buch. That's 3rd line territory. People expecting more are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

He has a lot of talent, and he will be a solid addition for this team, but he is still very young, and the NHL is quite a bit different than the KHL.

Yup 30-35 points is a good result. Anything more is gravy.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Assuming he plays at least 75 games, I wouldn't be disappointed with those numbers, but I think he will be more in the 40-45 range based on what comparable players have done. He's the same age as Duclair and Duclair just put up 44 points in 81 games. Duclair is more accustomed to playing on the smaller ice, but Buch is more accustomed to playing against men.

Stepan, Hayes, Kreider, Miller. They all scored at a 40+ point pace in their first full year.

So to me the question is, does he need to spend some time in the AHL to get accustomed to the smaller ice, or can he come in and start contributing immediately? If he plays 75+ games, I think 40 points is very doable.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

not about the points to me... its about how he looks on the ice.

he can put up 40 and if he just looks like lindberg or fast were screwed.

if he can put up 30-35 and be dynamic and creative thats a win

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Assuming he plays at least 75 games, I wouldn't be disappointed with those numbers, but I think he will be more in the 40-45 range based on what comparable players have done. He's the same age as Duclair and Duclair just put up 44 points in 81 games. Duclair is more accustomed to playing on the smaller ice, but Buch is more accustomed to playing against men.

Stepan, Hayes, Kreider, Miller. They all scored at a 40+ point pace in their first full year.

So to me the question is, does he need to spend some time in the AHL to get accustomed to the smaller ice, or can he come in and start contributing immediately? If he plays 75+ games, I think 40 points is very doable.

I doubt he'll need time in the AHL.

As for production, it's probably going to depend on whether he gels with someone. Around 40 points is doable in the right scenario.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
PB and odc will riot if he gets Miller/Kreider/McIlrath treatment.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
OTOH, i expect him to play a good # of games in AHL
and i don't mnind

Buch is not about '16-17, he's about everything after
whatever it takes for him, by age ~23-24, to hopefully have an arc like tarasenko, kuznetsov, kucherov,

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the ahl is for chumps when you are pavel.

if you are from an ncaa program and need to learn to be a pro, then the ahl is a good idea.

if you have been playing as a pro for 2 years already against grown men, then the ahl is, as buchnevixh says, a step down. no reason to go there.

smaller rink
more physical game
faster game
new country
language barrier

all of those are excuse.....er.....reasons to send him down i guess. none of them will help him play better though and thats the issue. what will make him better, is to play in the nhl. period.

his skills translate very well to the nhl and to this team in particular. dont discount that. this kid is good but it just so happens that he's bringing skills to this team that we are pretty much void of.

specifically, high end youthful offensive creativity and talent. i said "high end" so dont get your panties in a bunch all you jtmiller and ck fans. perhaps zuke is the next most like buchnevich in many ways.

anyone thinking he's gonna be this seasons kuznetsov good is dreaming. hes gonna need a season or two to get his mojo. he's still very young. if he gets 40 points that will be outstanding. think 30-35 tho.

watch out his 3rd season. he's a 30/30 guy waiting to happen.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

I just hope this board can give this kid some time to adjust regardless of whether he starts slow or comes out of the gate flying.

I also hope the kid doesn't get saddled with the expectations of someone who is going to come in here and save the franchise either.

You know that's not going to happen. He's going to be under the most powerful microscopes from day 1 of signing his contract. "Is he here yet? Is he working out yet? How much English has he learned? Is he bonding with his teammates yet? Does he have an apartment in the city yet?" With some of our better offensive prospects getting traded, whatever talk about guaranteeing him a top6 or an NHL roster spot or whatever it was, his demeanor/how anything besides the NHL is below him..he's already touted as savior of the Rangers, half his doing and half how the organization talks about him. Won't be pretty when he hits any sort of cold streak. Hope he puts his money where his mouth is for everyone's sake.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I expect at least 10 goals 15 assists, with the momentary flashes of offensive brilliance. He's going to have bad games. He's going to miss defensive assignments and backchecks. He's going to pass up chances to shoot/pass. He's not going to be perfect.

Let's just enjoy the ride because we finally have an offensive prospect that's worth a damn.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Friedman's tweet was over a day ago, why hasn't Buch signed yet?

Tanny's already got Buch's spot in the lineup locked up, so he's scared to come over. :sarcasm:

I expect at least 10 goals 15 assists, with the momentary flashes of offensive brilliance. He's going to have bad games. He's going to miss defensive assignments and backchecks. He's going to pass up chances to shoot/pass. He's not going to be perfect.

Let's just enjoy the ride because we finally have an offensive prospect that's worth a damn.

I agree with this. I think he'll get around 30 points. He'll obviously have his flaws as every young rookie does. No one should expect him to be perfect or to win the calder, but to have a solid offensive season and show flashes of the things he is capable of.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I actually would prefer that he starts slower (and then picks up his scoring rate).
My expectations are for just under or about 40 points: 10 - 15 goals and 20 - 25 assists.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if recent history is any indication, its av that will determine his ability to contribute more than anything.

this kid will need a steady diet of power plays and top 6 type minutes to prosper. he will need to play with another crafty player or two for sure.

you throw zuke and brass out there with buchnevich and that line will be electric.

keep the american line together (step miller and kreider) and thats a decent top 6 to start.

buchnevich will have his ups and downs for sure but i suspect hell earn his paycheck on the man up as the guy who can direct the play and use time and space to create chances for his teammates.

one things for sure, if I'm the staff, I'm telling this kid to free wheel it and fire it anytime he's got the puck.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

So, PB, are you happy? Or will you still stomp your feet until he actually signs?

Signing contracts aren't some quick thing, you know.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
smaller rink
more physical game
faster game
new country
language barrier

all of those are excuse.....er.....reasons to send him down i guess. none of them will help him play better though and thats the issue. what will make him better, is to play in the nhl. period.

Whether you want to admit it or not, there are adjustments to be made when playing in the NHL for the first time, no matter which league you are coming from. Some players can make those adjustments quickly at the NHL level. Others need time in the AHL to make those adjustments. I suspect that Buch will be the former rather than the latter, but if he needs to start in the AHL as a stepping stone, so be it.

I can't foresee him spending more than a month or two in the AHL no matter what, but it's all up to Buch. His play will determine where he plays, nothing more, nothing less.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
if recent history is any indication, its av that will determine his ability to contribute more than anything.

this kid will need a steady diet of power plays and top 6 type minutes to prosper. he will need to play with another crafty player or two for sure.

you throw zuke and brass out there with buchnevich and that line will be electric.

keep the american line together (step miller and kreider) and thats a decent top 6 to start.

buchnevich will have his ups and downs for sure but i suspect hell earn his paycheck on the man up as the guy who can direct the play and use time and space to create chances for his teammates.

one things for sure, if I'm the staff, I'm telling this kid to free wheel it and fire it anytime he's got the puck.

That's a small, weak line that will have trouble getting out of its own zone and zero net presence.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just a rumor, but I heard the Rangers want documented proof that Buch signed up at a Gym before they offer him the contract, take it for what it's worth :dunno:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Just a rumor, but I heard the Rangers want documented proof that Buch signed up at a Gym before they offer him the contract, take it for what it's worth :dunno:

Lol, MSG Training Center has an 1800 square foot gym right next to their locker room.

MSG-Training_04-615x409.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

So, PB, are you happy? Or will you still stomp your feet until he actually signs?

Signing contracts aren't some quick thing, you know.

Still stomping my feet. :laugh:

This goes to everyone, not really you, why is anyone claiming expectations are too high?

Most of us have said somewhere between 30-50 points, which is usually what rookies produce. If he does really well, probably 40-50. If he has some struggles, 30-40.

That's a small, weak line that will have trouble getting out of its own zone and zero net presence.

The only small player on that line is Zucc, and he battles plenty hard, doesn't play very small. Buch's defense isn't a liability, so if Miller or Kreider's defense is okay to play with those two, its probably not going to be any worse with Buchnevich.

Maybe you do want more of a power forward and less finesse forward playing with Brass or Zucc like Nash, Kreider or Miller. I'd probably agree that I'd want that as well, but I just wouldn't label Buch a weak player who's awful defensively. You don't have to double up on upper body day at the gym to play strong in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad