Prospect Info: Pavel Buchnevich Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Haven't really scrolled thru the previous pages, but what are the general predictions for Buch if he were to come over next season? If my memory is correct, it took a little while for Kuznetsov and Tarasenko to adapt to the NHL. Is 35-40 points an accurate estimation? I think anything north of 50 is exceeding expectations, anything below 30 is a little troublesome.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Haven't really scrolled thru the previous pages, but what are the general predictions for Buch if he were to come over next season? If my memory is correct, it took a little while for Kuznetsov and Tarasenko to adapt to the NHL. Is 35-40 points an accurate estimation? I think anything north of 50 is exceeding expectations, anything below 30 is a little troublesome.

That's about right.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Someone people here have him at 40-60 pts as a rookie.

He is unquestionably the most over hyped rookie in NYR history. More than Brendl and Lundmark even.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

He is unquestionably the most over hyped rookie in NYR history. More than Brendl and Lundmark even.

Yeah people need to chill out.

15-25-40 would be a fantastic season. 12-18-30 would still be a success.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah people need to chill out.

15-25-40 would be a fantastic season. 12-18-30 would still be a success.

Maybe we expect too much of him? :)

I don`t know what to expect to be honest - I`ve not seen him
play a NHL game so.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe we expect too much of him? :)

I don`t know what to expect to be honest - I`ve not seen him
play a NHL game so.

I'm not trying to say he needs to hit 30 points to be a success - but unless he really struggles, 20 points or less could be a bit concerning (assuming he gets decent minutes and plays 60+ games).

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY

In my lifetime (born 1983, really only have Ranger memories stretching back to like 90-91ish so I don't know what the Leetch hype felt like), I can think of a few players who were more hyped.

No question, Kovalev is the most hyped Rangers prospect from the 80s til now. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the most hyped EVER. The expectations for him were like Fedorov/Bure level. His hands were being compared to Mario's.

Manny Malhotra probably comes in second. He was the first high pick the Rangers had in YEARS.

I think Brendl def had higher expectations, but he was gone pretty quickly. We didn't have a 2-3 year drama of "Will he come over to NA?!"

Since 2005, I think Staal had way more hype than Buch. Remember the Norris trophy predictions?

I'd even place Kreider ahead or equal to Buch in terms of expectations.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Lindberg scored 28 in 68 games this year. 30 points from Buch would be low IMO. 40ish would be a good first season for him.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lindberg scored 28 in 68 games this year. 30 points from Buch would be low IMO. 40ish would be a good first season for him.

Just to play Devils advocate here, Lindberg had two years in the AHL before this season. He was able to adjust to NA ice and whatnot.

That being said, Buch should be able to do a 35pt season, easily.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just to play Devils advocate here, Lindberg had two years in the AHL before this season. He was able to adjust to NA ice and whatnot.

That being said, Buch should be able to do a 35pt season, easily.

True, but Buch has been in a better league prior if I understand the relative levels of other leagues correctly. He's also been touted as a lot more of an offensive skills player than Oscar who was pitched as a solid two way guy who steps up in the playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with most, 35-45 is around what I expect.

These are very low estimates though, based on the fact that it took Kuznetsov and Tarasenko some time to adjust. If he doesn't need any adjustment time, say like Panarin, he could score 45-55 points. I wouldn't completely rule it out. Then again, he's probably a notch below where Kuznetsov and Tarasenko were, but he could adjust to NA hockey quicker than they did.

Plenty of 21 year olds have been able to put up 45-55 points in their first season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
True, but Buch has been in a better league prior if I understand the relative levels of other leagues correctly. He's also been touted as a lot more of an offensive skills player than Oscar who was pitched as a solid two way guy who steps up in the playoffs.

Right, I agree with this. I just wanted to point that out :P

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Nichuskin had 35 pts in his rookie year. Tarasenko had 19 pts in 38 games and 43 pts in 64 games his first two seasons. Galchenyuk didn't score over 31 pts until his third season. Kucherov had 18 pts in 52 games, first season. Kuznetsov had 37 pts in 80 games his first full season as well.

Based on the above, I'm not getting my hopes up for Buchnevich as a rookie. Most of the above players have blossomed/are clearly blossoming into stars at the moment, and they had outright low point totals for a year or two in the beginning. Even if Buch is destined for Tarasenko-like stardom, he very well could give us something like a 25 pts in 70 and 35 pts in 80 his first two seasons.

So I hope we're all prepared (and most importantly, Rangers management) to have big time patience with the kid. Young talented Russians coming over, even with AHL seasoning at the outset like some had, is most definitely a process.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Where are all these people saying he is going to get 60 points?

And is 40 points SO insane? Stepan had 45, Kreider had 37 in 66 games, Zucc had 59 in his first full season, Hayes at 45....so he is the most over hyped rookie in NYR history because some people are saying he might put up the same amount of points that 4 Rangers put up their rookie seasons? :rolleyes:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
In my lifetime (born 1983, really only have Ranger memories stretching back to like 90-91ish so I don't know what the Leetch hype felt like), I can think of a few players who were more hyped.

No question, Kovalev is the most hyped Rangers prospect from the 80s til now. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the most hyped EVER. The expectations for him were like Fedorov/Bure level. His hands were being compared to Mario's.

Manny Malhotra probably comes in second. He was the first high pick the Rangers had in YEARS.

I think Brendl def had higher expectations, but he was gone pretty quickly. We didn't have a 2-3 year drama of "Will he come over to NA?!"

Since 2005, I think Staal had way more hype than Buch. Remember the Norris trophy predictions?

I'd even place Kreider ahead or equal to Buch in terms of expectations.

Brendl and Lundmark were compared to the next Jagr and Sakic or something like that, partly because someone in the fledgling days of message boards posted about how they were a former scout and both of those guys were can't miss prospects and so amazing and that got throw around so much. Plus the team was such a mess in the early 2000's that the idea of these two can't miss super prospects coming in to save the day was so appealing.

Staal used to be really good...or maybe it's my rose colored glasses, I'm not 100% sure. He definitely used to be better before his concussion and then eye issues, those have really affected his play IMO. I think he'd be a great #2 LHD behind McDonagh if that hadn't happened.

As for Buchnevich, I think it'll depend a lot on icetime and linemates but considering this team rolls 3 "scoring" lines he should get to play with some skilled guys at least. I guess it'll depend on who is still around next season, who is brought in, and things like that. I'd probably hope for a Kevin Hayes type rookie season myself.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Where are all these people saying he is going to get 60 points?

And is 40 points SO insane? Stepan had 45, Kreider had 37 in 66 games, Zucc had 59 in his first full season, Hayes at 45....so he is the most over hyped rookie in NYR history because some people are saying he might put up the same amount of points that 4 Rangers put up their rookie seasons? :rolleyes:

This.

Scoring hasn't gone that far down that 40 points is some offensive outburst.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Nichuskin had 35 pts in his rookie year. Tarasenko had 19 pts in 38 games and 43 pts in 64 games his first two seasons. Galchenyuk didn't score over 31 pts until his third season. Kucherov had 18 pts in 52 games, first season. Kuznetsov had 37 pts in 80 games his first full season as well.

Based on the above, I'm not getting my hopes up for Buchnevich as a rookie. Most of the above players have blossomed/are clearly blossoming into stars at the moment, and they had outright low point totals for a year or two in the beginning. Even if Buch is destined for Tarasenko-like stardom, he very well could give us something like a 25 pts in 70 and 35 pts in 80 his first two seasons.

So I hope we're all prepared (and most importantly, Rangers management) to have big time patience with the kid. Young talented Russians coming over, even with AHL seasoning at the outset like some had, is most definitely a process.

Galchenyuk is an American born Russian. He was born in Wisconsin and played Major Junior in Canada. But I agree with your point.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
God help this kid if he struggles early in the year.

I'd be shocked if he didn't struggle early. New team, new continent, new pressures/expectations, etc. I fully expect Buch to struggle out the gate and finish the season strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad