Proposal: Pavel Buchnevich for a top-4 LHD

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Bad idea, too soon,
NYR serious contention begins maybe in '21-22, after the 4 big Cap Hits expire and the Seattle Expansion draft,
don't worry about filling that LHD spot soon.
wait out next year, which will also let NYR learn more of what they have in LD pipeline with Hajek, Rykov, Reunanen, Roberston and Miller...
Zibanejad's is an UFA in 2 years. Tick tock...

Rangers aren't actually that far away from competing imo. If they can dump some of the bloated contracts (i.e. Staal/Smith/Lundqvist) they'd have plenty of room to play with in free agency/trade to bolster their bottom 6 forward group and add a LHD (eg. Krug).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bad idea, too soon,
NYR serious contention begins maybe in '21-22, after the 4 big Cap Hits expire and the Seattle Expansion draft,
don't worry about filling that LHD spot soon.
wait out next year, which will also let NYR learn more of what they have in LD pipeline with Hajek, Rykov, Reunanen, Roberston and Miller...

THIS^ bingo, we have a winner.
Win now crowd, stand down.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Notice that i said "If they get Lafreniere". There's the reason why Kreider would be expendable.

It's going to be extremely difficult if not downright impossible to move Staal. $5.7m is a huge contract, and he also has a NMC.

Rangers should trade Geo, get use out of Hank's 8.5m, and if besides proactive trade $ is cut, you buy out Staal.
He has full NMC and is unlikely to go anywhere, but we can buy him out.

Small chance he will finally see/recognize that writing on the wall, and still not likely to accept trade, but I could see him retiring, and taking cushy consultant gig w/team. Depends how bad he still wants to play and if he thinks any team will pick him up, and for what kind of $, next season.
He is a fit for the Kraken to mentor young talent, but famously does not want to move away from CT.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Notice that i said "If they get Lafreniere". There's the reason why Kreider would be expendable.

It's going to be extremely difficult if not downright impossible to move Staal. $5.7m is a huge contract, and he also has a NMC.

That's a big deal to move, $19 mil of the $25 million paid in first 3 years is signing bonuses.
I get why you're saying to move him having Panarin and Laf as your top 6 LW but you figure out a way to have someone play on the right side.

Marleau had a similar cap hit. Staal isn't getting any younger, spent his whole career there and his role is diminishing.
He's playing the least amount of minutes in the last 3 years. He may want to go to a lesser team to get more time/bigger role to earn one last deal.
NYR may have to retain a bit but attaching the CAR 1st will open some doors.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How does Gauthier make Buchnevich expendable?
asked....

1)Even pre covid Rangers had cap issues and chose Krieder over Skjei.

2) Skjei would have been exposed 2021 ED and probably picked. better to get 1 now.

3) Skjei hockey iq isn't off the charts. See youtube video as exhibit a.

... and answered

Rangers can't afford to trade Buch, we are fairly weak at RW as it is and are losing Fast most likely. Trade Buch and we are counting on a big jump from all 3 of Kakko, Gauthier, Kravtsov to even have decent depth. And the odds of all 3 players making a huge jump isn't great.

THIS MISPERCEPTION IS THE PROBLEM

We need to give mins to those guys and Chytil and move on from Buch and Strome. We should have kept Kreider, good, check, and moved Skjei, ditto. We need to move Deangelo and Buch and Strome for market value, pref in futures [given exp dr reality]. Two down, 3 to go, not counting deadwood like Smith. [Should have kept Shattenkirk and bought out Staal and Smith.]
We need to see what we have in Rykov and Hajek, who didn't wow us, but didn't hurt us either in game 1.

I will be grateful if Ranger brethren in particular remember there is a cap. We are not immediately boned, but we do have to get ahead of the curve.

We are not gonna give Buch big $ ongoing, ditto Strome. We need those $ for Zib and expiring elcs into better rfa deals for Fox, Kakko et al.

It is not smart to make that commitment to Buch and Strome and unless we some how get primo return, not worth it, PLUS MOST IMPORTANT we are working against development of our younger, more talented core which subtracts from any profit. Not worth it.

Look at Namest.
We did that deal to save the other McD to TB deal, which such added concession was bad enough.
We then gave Namest a contract he was not worth, and held on and on and on. Stupid mismanagement.
Kravtsov looked good in camp. Due to #s -- that POS Namest. who we had to keep until we finalized a deal for him -- K was improperly stretched out in limbo. Thankfully unlike Lias, K is an adult and worked with us. But that is a whole friggin year of development less than optimal.

Move established guys who are not keepers. Develop emerging talent.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kravtsov and Buch for Ryan Graves. Buch is the plus, not the base. Top 4 D are expensive to acquire. Gotta pay the price.

Hell no, way too much and premise of thread is off as to forcing return for LD, we should be looking for max value, pref in futures.

Skjei was traded away to clear the cap space of an underperforming player, plain and simple. Even after the trade we will still be up tough against the cap this offseason, we would be utterly boned had we kept him.

We really just need a stop gap LHD until KA Miller is ready. Robertson and Jones on the way too who we are super high on.

As of now our LHD depth going into next season is
Lindgren
Smith
Staal
Hajek.

Hajek cant be trusted until he shows something and Smith and Staal are atrocious.

We should not be trading a significant piece to fill this hole nor should we be looking for someone with significant term.

Rangers fans shoot down Georgiev and Smith for Wolanin and a 2nd which would be a home run trade, but then make this stupid thread.

Agree solidly w/most of this.
Disagree on Hajek not showing us enough yet.
Keeps being jerked.
Looked tremendous first 5 games on worse club, got injured, should be fine if given real legit opportunity and not paired w/Smith/Staal.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Staal isn't getting any younger, spent his whole career there and his role is diminishing. He's playing the least amount of minutes in the last 3 years. He may want to go to a lesser team to get more time/bigger role to earn one last deal. NYR may have to retain a bit but attaching the CAR 1st will open some doors.
NYR are not sacrificing a 1st to clear Cap Space,
they are not in that tight a Cap bind
and remodeling the left side D does not need to happen before '20-21 season

from what i have read, Staal has no interest in moving (and he is in control),
he is not concerned yet about "one last deal,"
his stated priority all along has been to stay w NYR, so to not disrupt this family.

I would gladly have NYR move him if they could,
I sometimes imagine Weber and Price recruiting him to join them, to 'go for it' in '21

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR should dump everyone for cap savings. Get out of these contracts before they become UFAs, eventually. We need magic beans! /thread

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
You should hold onto Buchnevich. Kakko is the only good bet to be a top 6 RW

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I salute OP for recognizing need to move Buch.
With exp dr, it is foolish to add non exempt LD, regardless of lack of depth for NY or being area of need.
Makes no sense given Trouba MUST be protected due to NMC clause and we want to protect Lindgren. Assuming we move Deangelo or we are further boned.
And Hajek was a key piece in a major trade, do not want to abandon him.
I am not sure if it is so, but under impression if Hajek plays less than 40 games we don't have to expose him. Hate to waste half his season, but lesser of several evils.
Not likely nec, but NY can pick up a schlub from somewhere if we need a qualifying guy.

------------

We should not try to force round into square and vice versa.
Who is looking for guys?
I come up w/2.

Less likely is EDM.
Buch would fit like a glove there, but Oil have nothing I want except Broberg, who is exp dr exempt. That is the only LD fit I immediately see. Of course Broberg worth way more, and NYR would have to add, whether it is picks/talent assets/or helping out w/cap by taking Neal. And so far, unable to find consensus w/Oiler nation on deal there, but that is the possible but so far not likely.

The other taker is Buffalo.
Sabes have need to immediately add a guy w/Eichel, possibly Eichel-Skinner combo.

I see Buch and NYR 2020 1st approx 13OA for Sabes 2020 1st 8OA, something very close to that. While closer to middle of pack, still have a good pick to work with.
Buf can absorb the salary and cut new deal, and Rangers get ongoing cap space plus some new options for the draft.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The other taker is Buffalo.
Sabes have need to immediately add a guy w/Eichel, possibly Eichel-Skinner combo.

I see Buch and NYR 2020 1st approx 13OA for Sabes 2020 1st 8OA, something very close to that. While closer to middle of pack, still have a good pick to work with.

Absolutely not.

If Buffalo was going to trade 8 for 13 it would likely involve getting a 21 unprotected 1st included or a high level ED exempt prospect.

There is a big drop in potential between 8 and 13...an avg middle winger doesn’t pay what it costs.

Buch doesn’t move the needle in that trade.

If buffalo was to tradedoen in the 1st for a player to help thrm now it would be for a center.

They don’t have a big hole st RW.

They have Reinhart and Thompson at RW, Cozens could play his first year at RW. Thry coukd also move a ZLW to p,ay right side if needed. Thrir 8OA could be a short right forward.

No...a one year rental in Strome doesn’t move the needle either.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Zibanejad's is an UFA in 2 years. Tick tock...

Rangers aren't actually that far away from competing imo. If they can dump some of the bloated contracts (i.e. Staal/Smith/Lundqvist) they'd have plenty of room to play with in free agency/trade to bolster their bottom 6 forward group and add a LHD (eg. Krug).

That wont be an issue after the end of next season. All there contracts have 1 year left on their deals. Should be a nice 16m or so off the cap for the Rangers

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Wtf no The flashes were there during the season and he was finally starting to put it together before the season paused and carried that over to the playoffs and has positioned himself for a huge year 2 jump.

Zero concern about Kakko, on the list of things the Rangers need to worry about he is dead last.

Did you even look at his underlying stats?? They were absolutely horrendous. Now I don't know end of the season but as a whole it was terrible.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That wont be an issue after the end of next season. All there contracts have 1 year left on their deals. Should be a nice 16m or so off the cap for the Rangers
And the big chunk from Shatty.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’d rather keep Buch. He’s gotten better and better each year while adding physicality to his game and his value league wide isn’t on par with what he brings.

I’d rather package any of: 1st rounder, Strome, Kravstov, Jones, etc.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Thanks for the share. Feedback....

Absolutely not.
If Buffalo was going to trade 8 for 13 it would likely involve getting a 21 unprotected 1st included or a high level ED exempt prospect.

Sorry but the core would have to be Buch + 13 for 8.
Would be willing to discuss other aspects/side deals to generate a larger package, but the point here is we want to move Buch et al to make space/mins for Krav et al.
Giving you another 1st in lieu of Buch does not address that.

There is a big drop in potential between 8 and 13...an avg middle winger doesn’t pay what it costs.
Eh, that's open to interpretation up to a pt.
I agree and it is obvious there are divisions within the top 5 or so, but after than in varying degrees it is a crap shoot.
Is 8OA better, more desirable? Obv. yes. But is that pick a huge dif as you suggest? Not seeing it. You get inside track on prospect with better odds to be that better player. Not a slam dunk. You could argue there was a big drop when Mitt and Lias were taken, only a slot or two could have been a better bet. But here we are talking moving back only 5.
Disagree.

He should. Complaints abound your team needs more top 6. This is a guy who plays either W. Can do first line. What's enough for these 5 slots. You are not moving from 1 back to 6.

If buffalo was to tradedoen in the 1st for a player to help thrm now it would be for a center.
Well, if there was a C worth doing that as an alternative, that notion should not be dismissed out of hand.
But what Cs fit that bill.

You want a guy like Chytil, and a guy like that is not expected to be available for 8OA outright, due to supply and demand.

They have Reinhart and Thompson at RW, Cozens could play his first year at RW. Thry coukd also move a ZLW to p,ay right side if needed. Thrir 8OA could be a short right forward.

While there are other factors, current Fs are a prob.
Buch btw is lefty shot, usually RW, can play LW.
Buch IS an answer.
The ?s are do you have better choice and at what cost.
But Buch is a fit.

Fine.
You bring him up, I didn't.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ah yes, here comes the best poster these boards have to offer to jump in with his outrageous comments once again.

Please, quote one single post in this thread suggesting Buchnevich has anywhere close to negative value.

...I'll wait.

Let’s be upfront about this. You took offense because you feel like you have something to hide.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What about Buchnevich for Alzner? Seems like that’ll properly replicate his value, if I’m reading some of these posts right.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Let’s be upfront about this. You took offense because you feel like you have something to hide.

Adam Fox > Quinn Hughes

tenor.gif

Reactions: Dan10900

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for the share. Feedback....

Absolutely not.

Sorry but the core would have to be Buch + 13 for 8.
Would be willing to discuss other aspects/side deals to generate a larger package, but the point here is we want to move Buch et al to make space/mins for Krav et al.
Giving you another 1st in lieu of Buch does not address that.

Eh, that's open to interpretation up to a pt.
I agree and it is obvious there are divisions within the top 5 or so, but after than in varying degrees it is a crap shoot.
Is 8OA better, more desirable? Obv. yes. But is that pick a huge dif as you suggest? Not seeing it. You get inside track on prospect with better odds to be that better player. Not a slam dunk. You could argue there was a big drop when Mitt and Lias were taken, only a slot or two could have been a better bet. But here we are talking moving back only 5.
Disagree.

He should. Complaints abound your team needs more top 6. This is a guy who plays either W. Can do first line. What's enough for these 5 slots. You are not moving from 1 back to 6.

Well, if there was a C worth doing that as an alternative, that notion should not be dismissed out of hand.
But what Cs fit that bill.

You want a guy like Chytil, and a guy like that is not expected to be available for 8OA outright, due to supply and demand.

While there are other factors, current Fs are a prob.
Buch btw is lefty shot, usually RW, can play LW.
Buch IS an answer.
The ?s are do you have better choice and at what cost.
But Buch is a fit.

Fine.
You bring him up, I didn't.

Buch is not anything special he’s a dime a a dozen player.

Buffalo has at wing

LW Olofsson, Skinner , Kahun, MoJo, Rusotsalienen
RW Reinhart, Cozens, Thompson, Mittlestadt, Pekar, Asplund

And other prospects

Their likrly ptotection for ED...Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittlestadt, Kahun, center

On buffalo he’s be an overpaid 3rd liner who goes unprotected in the expansion draft.

Not trading down for that, it costs a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad