Proposal: Pavel Buchnevich for a top-4 LHD

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
With Kakko, Kravtsov, and Gauthier on the right side, Buchnevich becomes a bit expendable.

Rangers need a top-4 LHD to pair with Trouba. Who could we get for Buchnevich (and/or possibly Strome and/or Georgiev)? Bear in mind that the Rangers can't add much salary with the flat cap.

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Buchnevich wont ever get that on his own - NY would need to add their 1st next year to get the talk going for a legit top-4 dman

Id also say they could just sign Dillon in FA but teams such as my Devils will likely our bid them

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
With Kakko, Kravtsov, and Gauthier on the right side, Buchnevich becomes a bit expendable.

Rangers need a top-4 LHD to pair with Trouba. Who could we get for Buchnevich (and/or possibly Strome and/or Georgiev)? Bear in mind that the Rangers can't add much salary with the flat cap.

You guys should keep buchnevich and send kakko down because he is becoming another puljujarvi. The guy does not belong in the nhl at the moment.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
You guys should keep buchnevich and send kakko down because he is becoming another puljujarvi. The guy does not belong in the nhl at the moment.

Kakko is fine. Him and Hughes essentially had identical stats. You can't consider him a bust after his 18 year old rookie season. If you're calling Kakko a bust, then Hughes is also a bust.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If a LHD is a need, why did you trade away Skjei? I get that he’s not perfect (what d is?), but you are not likely to get someone better in a trade for what you are willing to give up.

Reactions: qqaz

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, echoing what others have already said... Buchenvich doesn't come close to returning that level of player.

Now Buchnevich + 1st would be a different conversation that potentially sees some real solid value to be had for the team trading the Dman. But Buch by himself just doesn't do it.

The best bet for the Rangers is probably to target a free agent. Torey Krug would be a wonderful fit for that team, not sure he actually leaves Boston but New York would be wise to do what they could to get him if he was willing to leave.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ya, echoing what others have already said... Buchenvich doesn't come close to returning that level of player.

Now Buchnevich + 1st would be a different conversation that potentially sees some real solid value to be had for the team trading the Dman. But Buch by himself just doesn't do it.

The best bet for the Rangers is probably to target a free agent. Torey Krug would be a wonderful fit for that team, not sure he actually leaves Boston but New York would be wise to do what they could to get him if he was willing to leave.

If COL takes Staal + Buch then NYR can chase Krug. Help them out with all of your cap space

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Kakko is fine. Him and Hughes essentially had identical stats. You can't consider him a bust after his 18 year old rookie season. If you're calling Kakko a bust, then Hughes is also a bust.

Please tell me where I said kakko was a bust. I didn't even say anything close to it. My exact words were " kakko doesn't belong in the nhl at the moment" I compared him to puljujarvi because both could have used all time at this point in their career and it would have done them some good.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Please tell me where I said kakko was a bust. I didn't even say anything close to it. My exact words were " kakko doesn't belong in the nhl at the moment" I compared him to puljujarvi because both could have used all time at this point in their career and it would have done them some good.
Except Kakko scored more points in his rookie season than Puljujarvi has scored in any season.
Kakko is fine. He'll get a lot of playing time next year. The biggest adjustment for him was the NA rink. He's arguably the best Ranger on the ice in the playoffs as an 18 year old. Kakko might even eclipse Puljujarvi's career points next season.
No need to send him to the AHL at this point. He starts on the second line next year.
I'm not worried about Kakko's development. He's finally playing with confidence.
The only comparison between Puljujarvi and Kakko is that they're both Fins.
Chytil, however, needs to step up next year.

Reactions: bl02

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If a LHD is a need, why did you trade away Skjei? I get that he’s not perfect (what d is?), but you are not likely to get someone better in a trade for what you are willing to give up.
1)Even pre covid Rangers had cap issues and chose Krieder over Skjei.

2) Skjei would have been exposed 2021 ED and probably picked. better to get 1 now.

3) Skjei hockey iq isn't off the charts. See youtube video as exhibit a.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So what I’ve gathered here is that Kravtsov is ready to replace Buch, Buch has negative value, and Kakko is becoming Puljujarvi.

We haven’t yet heard how Buch needs to be traded because you can’t win with too many Russians.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Rangers can't afford to trade Buch, we are fairly weak at RW as it is and are losing Fast most likely. Trade Buch and we are counting on a big jump from all 3 of Kakko, Gauthier, Kravtsov to even have decent depth. And the odds of all 3 players making a huge jump isn't great.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Rangers can't afford to trade Buch, we are fairly weak at RW as it is and are losing Fast most likely. Trade Buch and we are counting on a big jump from all 3 of Kakko, Gauthier, Kravtsov to even have decent depth. And the odds of all 3 players making a huge jump isn't great.

Kravtsov and Buch for Ryan Graves. Buch is the plus, not the base. Top 4 D are expensive to acquire. Gotta pay the price.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Skjei was traded away to clear the cap space of an underperforming player, plain and simple. Even after the trade we will still be up tough against the cap this offseason, we would be utterly boned had we kept him.

We really just need a stop gap LHD until KA Miller is ready. Robertson and Jones on the way too who we are super high on.

As of now our LHD depth going into next season is
Lindgren
Smith
Staal
Hajek.

Hajek cant be trusted until he shows something and Smith and Staal are atrocious.

We should not be trading a significant piece to fill this hole nor should we be looking for someone with significant term.

Rangers fans shoot down Georgiev and Smith for Wolanin and a 2nd which would be a home run trade, but then make this stupid thread.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Wtf no The flashes were there during the season and he was finally starting to put it together before the season paused and carried that over to the playoffs and has positioned himself for a huge year 2 jump.

Zero concern about Kakko, on the list of things the Rangers need to worry about he is dead last.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I understand that LHD is the bigger need moving forward, but I’d wait until at least one of those guys are playing at a top six level in the NHL before trading Buch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad