Paul Steigerwald's contract

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Unfortunately he ain't going anywhere. Root doesn't care how bad he is as long as they keep leading the US markets in ratings and making money.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Holy ****, what a necro post. :laugh:

The guy will retire before his contract isn't renewed. He toes the company line with zealotry. Pens fans are stuck with Steigy's idiotic calls and constant verbal ******** of the organization for the foreseeable future.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Who cares who the announcers are. I hope you don't pay any attention to them. For the most part, they are just PR men for the pens. I am more concerned about the committee of nine, and not what they say, but when they do something stupid like the SD trade. That affects the team. What the Langes, Errys, Bourque and steigs say does not affect the team and who really cares what they say. .

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that he signed a pretty binding contract to get the job. I really do not think that there is an out clause for either party.

tumblr_mmbb53wrqe1s8w9o4o1_500.jpg

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Who cares who the announcers are. I hope you don't pay any attention to them. For the most part, they are just PR men for the pens. I am more concerned about the committee of nine, and not what they say, but when they do something stupid like the SD trade. That affects the team. What the Langes, Errys, Bourque and steigs say does not affect the team and who really cares what they say. .

Just because I am complaining about the announcers must mean I don't care about the penguins other issues :laugh::help:

For me, I like to be entertained, and I would prefer listening to a penguins broadcast because hey, I am a pens fan afterall.. but i am not entertained when I am listening to Steigy talk.

Sorry I didn't start (or bump in this case) another thread about how pissed off we all are with the Penguins brass and the media.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
If you really want to puke just listen to the Craps, Bruins and Fly announcers. Then Steiggy isn't so bad.

For my money, the Rags have the best announcers.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I searched online and I couldn't find anything regarding Steigy's contract.. does anyone know how long it's for?

I know I'm not in the minority here, but I really wish they would can this baffoon.. Errey can stay I guess, but games are pretty insufferable with Steigy's play by play.

I don't know about the term, but his extension was just after the Flyers series. He nearly was not renewed, but someone, somewhere changed their minds.

Understand, though, that as much as we complain about Steigerwald, myself included, most of the odious homerism that makes him so objectionable is a Root branding strategy. His bosses actually want that. See also: Greg Brown.

Bob Errey was on Madden yesterday complaining about the Simon Despres trade as if he was reading a post written by IcedCapp. Did you hear that on a ROOT broadcast? Nope.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wow this brought a name i haven't seen in forever. Kinguin. Didn't he have (or his father) some health issues? Man... I haven't seen Kinguin in forever. or Jeff Goldblum!

Crap.. Kinguin hasn't logged in since 2011 :(

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, I miss Kinguin. He was a fantastic dude. Same with DPR.

Lovejoy should be the first guy out. I don't even care if they get anything for him, I just don't want him seeing NHL minutes for the Penguins. I actually like Strait, and wouldn't mind seeing him as the #6/#7.

Was DPR's last hockey-related post, back in 2012. What a prophet.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Ratings are down for the Pens - I wanna say -10% year over year.. could happen..

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Seriously do we have any inside info re Pens PR providing talking points to Steigy/Bibbs? I avoid them when I can and listen to Mike Lange who tells it like it is....
But Jeebus God it seems like Steigy (to a lesser extent Errey) is literally reading from a memo sent by PR to talk up certain players (Kunitz, Scuds, Adams) and talk down others (SD, BB)...
I do not listen often enough to feel sure....

Do we have any hints from our reliable sources that these broadcasters are truly just reading scripted propaganda?
I often wonder why a true HOFer like Lange was dumped (it may have simply been contract issues) but this only makes me think he may have refused to be a mouthpiece....just guessing of course.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Probably not... it's all just assumptions, for the most part.

But, look... when your color guy is skewing a trade OFF the broadcast and calling Lovejoy a "cagey, steadying vet presence" or whatever ON the broadcast... eh... seems odd, to me. I don't know about "marching orders" or whatever... but I have to imagine they are told to keep things within a certain, uh... narrative.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lange is old, he likely prefers to do radio at this point of his career.

The Penguins need to, and I am sure some might hate this, move Steigerwald into a Jay Caufield type of spot and tell him it's a promotion - So we only see his mug during intermission in a "Between the Periods Breakdown" type of segment.

You then go and get the next best PBP guy out there that is looking for work and roll with that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ahhhh... to go back to the time when this subject was the thing that probably irked and depressed me the most about the Pittsburgh Penguins. Halcyon days, those.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Well....all part of what we get when the corporation gains control of the media.
It happens at many levels, not just sports.
It never serves truth or the public interest IMO.

I honestly dunno whether to give props to Bibbs. He sat there all year and allowed a false narrative to take hold. Then for maybe a minute or two on Madden or whatever he goes "oh, here's what I REALLY think...."

I know we all need to make a living, but I can't get behind him on this.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Funny thing is, Steigy was never a PBP guy. He was color for Lange back in the day....and God help me, I thought he wasn't that bad. He's a goalie himself and would sometimes have some decent insight on the goalie's play at times, whilst Mike Lange gave fantastic PBP.

Then when Fox dumped Lange, Steigy became PBP and he's just sooooo bad. Add to that the presumed PR talking points he dutifully spews out ....and it's nauseating.

I always was surprised how reasonable and sometimes insightful Bibbs would be in other settings, not ROOT.
What a shame he's ended up carrying water for Morehouse. I wonder if he feels that.

Last edited:

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Lange is old, he likely prefers to do radio at this point of his career.

The Penguins need to, and I am sure some might hate this, move Steigerwald into a Jay Caufield type of spot and tell him it's a promotion - So we only see his mug during intermission in a "Between the Periods Breakdown" type of segment.

You then go and get the next best PBP guy out there that is looking for work and roll with that.

I doubt seriously that Lange chose radio over TV, the salary diff was significant.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Who ever bumped this post and made me read the thread title and got me excited at the possibility, that on this fine day that Craig Adams is gone, and perhaps Steigy too.....I have one thing to say.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
As I understand it - anecdotally only - the only person to blame for the Mike Lange/Paul Steigerwald shuffle is Mike Lange.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: