Paul Steigerwald's contract

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mike Lange will never be on FSN ever again

I would settle for Mears.

Steigy was unbearable last night.... it's like he picks a name, and decides to say that name 1500 times a broadcast.

Last night it was "P.K. Su-BAHHNN"...it know that is probably how you say it, but steigy was just so pronounced. It was to a "Hart - Knelll" level.

The last time he got fixated on a name..."Luca Caputi"!

And we know how tall Gill is, so shut up!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Whether Lange could ever be an option again is irrelevant. Steigerwald is simply a terrible play-by-play broadcaster. If you watch some old footage, he wasn't THIS bad as the color analyst to Lange back in the day. This is why I didn't go crazy when they first announced the changes to the broadcast team. I remembered Steigerwald as Lange's sidekick and I really didn't think it was horrible at all. But now? It's just a nightly horrow show.

When you are on a list with the likes of Columbus PBP man Jeff Rimer, Devils color guy Chico Resch and Habs color analyst Benoit Brunet as the very worst NHL TV broadcasters, you know you suck. And to me, that foursome is the standard by which all crappy broadcasters should be measured.

EDIT: I forgot about CBC's Mark Lee. Another brutal PBP man.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Steigy was unbearable last night.... it's like he picks a name, and decides to say that name 1500 times a broadcast.

Last night it was "P.K. Su-BAHHNN"...it know that is probably how you say it, but steigy was just so pronounced. It was to a "Hart - Knelll" level.

The Versus crew also had a huge erection for Subban. That got old pretty fast.

Ian Altenbaugh

May 24, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can actually shed some light on the seeming fixation media people have with Subban.

Talking to a lot of writers for HF, as well as people who covered him in Hamilton this past season, he gives a great interview. He is immensely talented, seemingly came out of nowhere, and is charming and conversational. For people who's job it is to listen to boiler-plate safe talk, he is a breath of fresh air. That and the fact his name is a great hockey name.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Yeah, he had an impressive interview with Pierre after the game on Sunday. I can definitely see how he would be a media favorite in that regard... he's a very well-spoken kid and a pretty damn good player, as well.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He also has insane skating ability for a defenseman. Watch him turn and pivot. It's really quite awesome.

Subban's going to be a good one. He won't lose the shackles until Martin is gone, however. He's going to be like Scott Niedermayer, the early years, when he was shackled in Jersey.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I would settle for Mears.

The last time he got fixated on a name..."Luca Caputi"!

And we know how tall Gill is, so shut up!

I can see Mears being groomed for the job and I'm cool with that - he's the least annoying guy we've had since Lange and Edzo and seems to know the game enough. Unfortunately Steiggy and Errey are both very young and could be here for a LONG time.

On Steiggy last night, his "the.....big.....long.....stick.....of Hal..Gill" got an "are you kidding me?" from my wife. Steiggy couldn't have said it any more sketchy.

SteelGeno

Feb 18, 2008
I like the idea of Langer doing play by play and Errey or Bourque doing color, and maybe someone between the benches. Steigy is just brutal, i wonder how many :facepalm: Bob Errey does during a telecast

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Unfortunately Steiggy and Errey are both very young and could be here for a LONG time.

I don't know how anyone can dislike Errey. He knows what he's talking about, he see's absolutely everything and he is funny. A bit of a homer, but not nearly as much as Steiggy. A little homerism makes sense when you are on a local channel anyway.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Unfortunately Steiggy and Errey are both very young and could be here for a LONG time.

Steigy will be 56 this August and Errey will be 46 this September.

They are not exactly spring chickens. :laugh:

Although Errey still looks quite similar to how he did 18 years ago when we won the Cup in '92.

Observe:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I can actually shed some light on the seeming fixation media people have with Subban.

Talking to a lot of writers for HF, as well as people who covered him in Hamilton this past season, he gives a great interview. He is immensely talented, seemingly came out of nowhere, and is charming and conversational. For people who's job it is to listen to boiler-plate safe talk, he is a breath of fresh air. That and the fact his name is a great hockey name.
I can stomach the man-crushes announcers get when 1) the guy they're talking about is new, and 2) the guy they're talking about is as talented as they say he is.

That's the bottom line with Subban. Most people have never seen him play before, and he's really that promising. Honestly, I'd rather hear them pimping Subban than listen to more Crosby hype.

I don't know how anyone can dislike Errey. He knows what he's talking about, he see's absolutely everything and he is funny. A bit of a homer, but not nearly as much as Steiggy. A little homerism makes sense when you are on a local channel anyway.
I agree with this. People who complain about some homerism on local broadcasts have expectations that were formed outside of any understanding of reality. People who complain about Steiggy...well, yeah. Can't argue there.

Staal4Futures

Sep 14, 2009
Denver

I absolutely second this. He loves his job, incredibly energetic and knowledgeable, and keeps those December games against Florida, Atlanta, etc. from being completely monotonous.

As for Steiggy, replace him with a goat for all I care.

member 51464

Is it bad I'm not sure which one is the shorter chunkier one and which is the taller one?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

I absolutely second this. He loves his job, incredibly energetic and knowledgeable, and keeps those December games against Florida, Atlanta, etc. from being completely monotonous.

As for Steiggy, replace him with a goat for all I care.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind Errey in his role. I was mainly saying that they will likely keep Mears out of the booth if they decide to stay for a while.

But Errey does need to be balanced by a level headed PBP guy IMO, which certainly isn't Steiggy.

Steigy will be 56 this August and Errey will be 46 this September.

They are not exactly spring chickens. :laugh:

This is the type of job you can do until you're 75, so.....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Is it bad I'm not sure which one is the shorter chunkier one and which is the taller one?

Yes, because Bob Errey (The taller one) actually played hockey with the penguins when they won two Stanley Cups. Even wore the A. The guy is a classic Penguin.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

Yes.

And Errey's like 5'9", I was wondering recently if he's leaning against something and Steiggy is sitting down. Unless Steiggy is 5'4".

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Odds of signing a Grade - A winger to a long-term contract this summer without losing core pieces: 20:1
Odds of signing a Grade - A winger and a top 4 D without losing core pieces: 30:1

Odds of Steigerwald being replaced by a competant announcer in the next 10 years: 2030:1.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind Errey in his role. I was mainly saying that they will likely keep Mears out of the booth if they decide to stay for a while.

But Errey does need to be balanced by a level headed PBP guy IMO, which certainly isn't Steiggy.

This is the type of job you can do until you're 75, so.....

Can't argue with that. The two together have been known to send each other into seemingly drug-induced laughing fits and completely irrelevant tangents.

member 51464

Yes, because Bob Errey (The taller one) actually played hockey with the penguins when they won two Stanley Cups. Even wore the A. The guy is a classic Penguin.

Yes.

And Errey's like 5'9", I was wondering recently if he's leaning against something and Steiggy is sitting down. Unless Steiggy is 5'4".

:laugh: If it helps, I was quite certain it was the short one that was the jackass.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I usually get sort of annoyed when the same topic of discussion comes up on a seemingly monthly basis. But not in this case. I think it nicely illustrates that a large (or at least vocal) segment of the fan base can't stand this hack.

At least Ruutu isn't on the team anymore so that he isn't constantly confusing him with Crosby. Though he still finds a way to embarrass himself at least a half a dozen times a game. Errey has grown on me over the years but it's pretty bad when your goofball, oft-drunk color guy has to constantly correct your trainwreck PBP.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I guess Lange had a falling out so I don't think he's coming back. The other reason Steigy is probably here to stay is that FSN doesn't want to pay anyone. That's how he got the job in the first place. The only chance is if an experienced broadcaster that needs a job is willing to take less money and it would have to be at the same time Steigy's contract expires. Then again even if that happened FSN would probably just keep Steigy for continuity's sake and probably a little bit because I imagine they have a false notion people like Steigy because of his classic Pens roots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad