Value of: Paul Stastny's Next Contract

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
TBH, he reminds me quite a bit of Bryan Little, but he clearly fits better with unpredictable, east-west wingers like Ehlers and Laine.

A solid, two way centre playing on the second or third line.
I agree with, as another poster has commented, the only way Stasny resigns is if Little or maybe Perrault is moved and some cap money is freed up. Little is having a bad year. If his production continues at its' present pace his contract may come back to haunt the team. He may be injured as it looks like he's on the wing now instead of center so he becomes even less valuable. He wasn't a good fit with Laine and Ehlers. There aren't going to be too many UFA centers available this summer so Stasny will be popular.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
If he hits free agency then MTL screams overpayment if he wanted to go there . MB is going to oveypay hard for him or Bozak if they want to go there

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yes he was overpaid but at the time he was the best center on the market and we desperately needed a center. That's the price of UFA's.
Part of the issue was we wanted less term IIRC. So in order to get him to sign a 4 year deal instead of a 5 or 6, the AAV had to go up.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Paul Stastny has fit like a glove playing with Patrik Laine and Nik Ehlers on the Jets "third line". There was instant chemistry, and he has bolstered the Jets top 9 in a big way. I am a big fan of this trade, regardless of what the Jets gave up.

On TSN the other night, a local sports reporter mentioned that the Jets 'may' consider offering a contract, but speculated it would be 1 year, maybe $5 million. After next year, Jets are facing cap issues with guys like Laine, Trouba, Lowry, and Morrissey looking for huge raises, so I can't see Stastny in the Jets long term plan. If the Jets make a decent run this year, he may like the idea of playing alongside those two for another year.

I was a little stunned to see that he's earning a whopping $7.5 million a year. He's a good player for sure, but I think he's quite overpaid at $7.5 million.

What do you think his next contract value would be, and where will he wind up signing?
That contract was from another time and doubt he will expect close to that dollar amount or that he will get it.

The reporter also said that a longer contract would require moving an existing contract of value. It's about best fit, for Stastny and Winnipeg. Hard to see where there would be a better fit than the Jets for Stastny, for Winnipeg obviously the cap implication is the key.

Saying that I will be surprised if both parties don't explore the possibility to extend his stay in a realistic and strong way. It may not be "likely" but for those dismissing just because of the cap I strongly strongly believe that is short sighted. Moves can be made and are made for the betterment of teams. Short term and long term. There are several scenarios where Stastny in and Player(s) x, y or z out is just that.

Decisions will have to me made for Winnipeg where moving or not signing a high priced player is not only likely but pretty much guaranteed. Stastny probably just moves that timeline up. The way he meshes with Laine & Ehlers provides the Jets such a boost and increases possibilities line up wise and flexibility in an immense way.

What makes the Jets better? A C like Stastny at 5 ish per year or players like Perreault or Myers going forward?

Stastny past this season was dismissed by most but not by me and we are now seeing and hearing things from hockey people around the Jets that indicate while maybe not highly likely it is certainly possible.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I will tell you one thing about Stastny, his agent has gotten him to free agency at the exact right times. He got overpaid on the Blues contract and he is about to be overpaid again lol. Good for him and their is a less than zero percent chance he signs a 1 year deal with anyone for 5m. Every year you take off the contract you up, a one year deal would cost you about 8m for him to even think about it. I would guess he is going to get 4x5.5, 3x6 from someone.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That contract was from another time and doubt he will expect close to that dollar amount or that he will get it.

The reporter also said that a longer contract would require moving an existing contract of value. It's about best fit, for Stastny and Winnipeg. Hard to see where there would be a better fit than the Jets for Stastny, for Winnipeg obviously the cap implication is the key.

Saying that I will be surprised if both parties don't explore the possibility to extend his stay in a realistic and strong way. It may not be "likely" but for those dismissing just because of the cap I strongly strongly believe that is short sighted. Moves can be made and are made for the betterment of teams. Short term and long term. There are several scenarios where Stastny in and Player(s) x, y or z out is just that.

Decisions will have to me made for Winnipeg where moving or not signing a high priced player is not only likely but pretty much guaranteed. Stastny probably just moves that timeline up. The way he meshes with Laine & Ehlers provides the Jets such a boost and increases possibilities line up wise and flexibility in an immense way.

What makes the Jets better? A C like Stastny at 5 ish per year or players like Perreault or Myers going forward?

Stastny past this season was dismissed by most but not by me and we are now seeing and hearing things from hockey people around the Jets that indicate while maybe not highly likely it is certainly possible.
if Vesalainen can make the jump to the pros, I move Perreault. Love Frenchie as a player but having Scheif-Stast-Little-Lowry as C depth is immense. It also gives you a stop-gap C option for Roslo so he wont be thrown into the wolves in a top 9C role. You only deal Myers if Trouba is not signing a long term deal.

wing depth is still
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Laine
Vesa
Roslo
Armia
Copp

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If the hockey Gods smile on the Habs how great would it be to end up winning the lottery and rafting Dahlin, then signing Tavares and Stastney.

Drouin - Tavares - Sherbak
Lehkonen - Stastney - Gally

Assuming of course Max Pac and a guy like Shaw are traded.

Make it happen Hockey Gods!!!

Shortcuts aren't the way to building a contender

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
if Vesalainen can make the jump to the pros, I move Perreault. Love Frenchie as a player but having Scheif-Stast-Little-Lowry as C depth is immense. It also gives you a stop-gap C option for Roslo so he wont be thrown into the wolves in a top 9C role. You only deal Myers if Trouba is not signing a long term deal.

wing depth is still
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
Laine
Vesa
Roslo
Armia
Copp
I think Trouba does sign and want that to happen, if he doesn't then you have one less high dollar contract to fit in. The return would be very good as well.

Those that dismiss the possibility of signing Stastny are short sighted and myopic imo. Again not highly likely but certainly possible.

On Stastny's end he may indeed view Winnipeg as a near perfect fit and a very realistic chance to be a key piece in winning a Stanley Cup. More than enough to engage in serious conversation once the season is done.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
I will tell you one thing about Stastny, his agent has gotten him to free agency at the exact right times. He got overpaid on the Blues contract and he is about to be overpaid again lol. Good for him and their is a less than zero percent chance he signs a 1 year deal with anyone for 5m. Every year you take off the contract you up, a one year deal would cost you about 8m for him to even think about it. I would guess he is going to get 4x5.5, 3x6 from someone.

I think in a vacuum, you may be correct. But not every player is about earning every dime they can. Stastny is already rich.

What if the Jets made it to the Stanley Cup final and lost? I'm sure he'd consider doing it again next year.

Plus, we have Wi-Fi now.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Back to Colorado. Four years at $5M/year.

I hope not. We already have an older center in Soderberg. That we still have on the books for 2 more years

We most definitely dont need to be giving out 5 million a year for another 4 years to another center who will be 33 when the next season starts.

The last 4 years he has avg 15 goals and 45 points. Thats not 5 million salary IMO and when you factor in you are paying for his 33, 34, 35 and 36 age years. I dont see him improving only declining

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
They might get together on money, but can't see the Jets signing him for less than 4 years.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Any given year, probably 6-8 teams have a legit shot at winning the Cup. So as a player, you can't be guaranteed by signing a 1 year contract getting there. Given Stastny's propensity to get hurt every season, the risk of him signing a 1 year deal, getting hurt and missing a chunk of the season would put him at an economic disadvantage when engaging in his contract ask the following season, especially if he wants term. This is his last real chance to cash in before calling it a career. I fully expect for his agent to ask for 5 years, and he may settle on 4 with either deal a front loaded contract given his injury history.

Reactions: mcpw

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
For example, on current path I don't see Rangers paying this guy. However, if we bundled Kreider AND Zibanejad + in a blockbuster w/EDM, and did other deals and were thin at pivot, then I could see him as a stopgap 1C. If he wants multi-term, the answer is no, regardless of #. If he agrees to 1 yr, then I give him 7 for 1, just over 7 if I have reasonable options to rent him out at TDL.

How that jives w/other bids would remain to be seen, esp as to term offered, and if he wants to grab some extra dollars now, or would he prefer 1 year for max $ and then consider virtually same multiyear term deal 1 season later.

EDIT ADD: readiness to win Cup is a legit possible factor, one in which he likely is resolved to take less.

But why would you need him as that when you can just use Boo Nieves as the 1C? :dunno:

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
3 years 7.5M AAV (22M)
5 years 5.25M (26.25)
7 years 4.25M AAV (29.75M)

Those would be my guesses. It depends on which team signs him, and whether they want to overpay in AAV to lower the term, or overpay in term to lower the AAV.

Frans Nielsen's contract is probably a comparable that would get used by the Stastny camp. So that'd probably be my final answer, something around 5 years 5M give or take a few 100k.

The cap will be going up to 80M, and center is a valuable position. Stastny has most likely boosted his value based on his play down the stretch with Winnipeg, and he was already seen as still being a good 2C.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I agree with, as another poster has commented, the only way Stasny resigns is if Little or maybe Perrault is moved and some cap money is freed up. Little is having a bad year. If his production continues at its' present pace his contract may come back to haunt the team. He may be injured as it looks like he's on the wing now instead of center so he becomes even less valuable. He wasn't a good fit with Laine and Ehlers. There aren't going to be too many UFA centers available this summer so Stasny will be popular.
A minor injury that hinders him from taking faceoffs has Little playing the wing.
If preliminary talks to Stastny indicate he's willing to sign for money = to Little's new contract (5.9 x 5 with a limited NTC of 14 teams) Little is easy to trade. His hand will heal & the only reason he isn't Jets #1C is Scheifele.
@ that contract & the fact he's better than the pretend 1Cs on many teams he'd bring a healthy return
That would leave the Ehlers/Stastny/Laine magic intact.

Reactions: Parayko Physics

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
3 years 7.5M AAV (22M)
5 years 5.25M (26.25)
7 years 4.25M AAV (29.75M)

Those would be my guesses. It depends on which team signs him, and whether they want to overpay in AAV to lower the term, or overpay in term to lower the AAV.

Frans Nielsen's contract is probably a comparable that would get used by the Stastny camp. So that'd probably be my final answer, something around 5 years 5M give or take a few 100k.

The cap will be going up to 80M, and center is a valuable position. Stastny has most likely boosted his value based on his play down the stretch with Winnipeg, and he was already seen as still being a good 2C.

I don't think anybody is crazy enough to pay him 7,5M$, nor give him 7 years.

5 years 5,25 M$ is about right though

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Back to Colorado. Four years at $5M/year.

I'd love this. Stastny and MacKinnon were magic together in Nate's rookie year. Would add a 5th year if that's what it took, but ideally we would find a taker for Soderberg in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad