Value of: Paul Stastny's Next Contract

Nov 24, 2006
Paul Stastny has fit like a glove playing with Patrik Laine and Nik Ehlers on the Jets "third line". There was instant chemistry, and he has bolstered the Jets top 9 in a big way. I am a big fan of this trade, regardless of what the Jets gave up.

On TSN the other night, a local sports reporter mentioned that the Jets 'may' consider offering a contract, but speculated it would be 1 year, maybe $5 million. After next year, Jets are facing cap issues with guys like Laine, Trouba, Lowry, and Morrissey looking for huge raises, so I can't see Stastny in the Jets long term plan. If the Jets make a decent run this year, he may like the idea of playing alongside those two for another year.

I was a little stunned to see that he's earning a whopping $7.5 million a year. He's a good player for sure, but I think he's quite overpaid at $7.5 million.

What do you think his next contract value would be, and where will he wind up signing?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think a team devoid of Cs like MTL, CAR or even back in STL will outbid WPG. He is the 2nd best C on the market. id say roughly 5M AAV and whoever offers the most term (basically B.Little's current contract)

Reactions: Troy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I am a Jets fan. I would be happy if he is sold on the Winnipeg Whiteout and with playing with The BPA Laine and Ehlers so he will take a bit of a discount in hopes of winning a Cup. At this stage of his career this may be his focus. He's made his money. Otherwise, I am sure a lot of teams will be bidding on his services.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
As a Habs fan, considering i don't think Mtl is not an option for Tavares, i would offer 5,5M$ per for 4 years to Statsny. And i'm pretty sure Bergevin will be so desperate that he may offer 6M$ per for 5 years.

Reactions: Devonator
Nov 24, 2006
If I am a Jets fan. I would be happy if he is sold on the Winnipeg Whiteout and with playing with The BPA Laine and Ehlers so he will take a bit of a discount in hopes of winning a Cup. At this stage of his career this may be his focus. He's made his money. Otherwise, I am sure a lot of teams will be bidding on his services.

If I'm reading cap friendly right, he's made almost $60 million so far, which is a lot of cash. He won't ever be eating ramen noodles again.

He's also old enough that his window to win a cup is slowly closing.

I agree that he'll be a popular guy come July 1 if the Jets can't / don't want to get something done.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As a Habs fan, considering i don't think Mtl is not an option for Tavares, i would offer 5,5M$ per for 4 years to Statsny. And i'm pretty sure Bergevin will be so desperate that he may offer 6M$ per for 5 years.

Yeah, The Habs could use him. I don't know how much money they can offer with Price and Weber on the books. Also Statsny may be looking to contend now rather than take the big $. I don't know his thinking, but at his age. He's made his money already and may now just be looking for a shot at a Cup.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Supply and demand and chemistry will be the lead factors.

Will overseas pay top dollar + for him, and if so, does he bite?

For purposes of this exercise, let's assume all competition for his services are NHL bids only.

The assessments in the 2 posts above are reasonable.
IMO it is a fluid situation, one more likely to be shaped by other factors than to force a result on its own.

For example, on current path I don't see Rangers paying this guy. However, if we bundled Kreider AND Zibanejad + in a blockbuster w/EDM, and did other deals and were thin at pivot, then I could see him as a stopgap 1C. If he wants multi-term, the answer is no, regardless of #. If he agrees to 1 yr, then I give him 7 for 1, just over 7 if I have reasonable options to rent him out at TDL.

How that jives w/other bids would remain to be seen, esp as to term offered, and if he wants to grab some extra dollars now, or would he prefer 1 year for max $ and then consider virtually same multiyear term deal 1 season later.

EDIT ADD: readiness to win Cup is a legit possible factor, one in which he likely is resolved to take less.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yeah, The Habs could use him. I don't know how much money they can offer with Price and Weber on the books. Also Statsny may be looking to contend now rather than take the big $. I don't know his thinking, but at his age. He's made his money already and may now just be looking for a shot at a Cup.

Yeah a lot of things to consider. But Habs have more than enough money to overpay him, twice...

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Even though he is older than Little, he is looking for his money as comparable. Can’t see him agreeing for one year deal but sure if he wants to win. Jets can basically give him 1y at 5mil or two years at 3m per.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
He’s been a great fit in Winnipeg but I can’t see us being able to retain him barring a major discount or maybe if we move Little in the offseason. Both aren’t really realistic though.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I'd love to have him back in Winnipeg for another year, but I doubt he's looking at a one year deal. He's been great for the Jets and whoever ends up with him next year is very lucky.

Nov 24, 2006
TBH, he reminds me quite a bit of Bryan Little, but he clearly fits better with unpredictable, east-west wingers like Ehlers and Laine.

A solid, two way centre playing on the second or third line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yep. Not a bad thing to say about Stastny from me: a 30-40 point centre + age = bidding.
not sure where you get 30-40 pts from. he's played at a 56 pt pace/82 games the last 3 years (including this one). the injuries+age is an obvious concern though.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If the hockey Gods smile on the Habs how great would it be to end up winning the lottery and rafting Dahlin, then signing Tavares and Stastney.

Drouin - Tavares - Sherbak
Lehkonen - Stastney - Gally

Assuming of course Max Pac and a guy like Shaw are traded.

Make it happen Hockey Gods!!!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would think he would be looking for a longer term deal myself. And balance that between joining a winning team to try and win a cup, and choosing a place where he wants to keep his kids and not have to move them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad