Paul Stastny Thread

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not sure what the O'Reilly situation is. He'll be making 6.5 mill next season regardless? Or can we re-sign him to another contract? I'm okay with him making 6.5 mill next season, but I hope he'll re-sign for a little less than that, maybe 5.5 mill max? If he wants too much, trade him.

I'm not entirely confident in the ROR situation so please correct me if I'm wrong because I really would like to understand what the options with him are. My best understanding is this: Avs have to give him the 6.5 qualifying offer to retain his rights but they can take him to arbitration to have it lowered down to minimum 85% of that offer should the team win arbitration. I guess if the team is ok with paying the 6.5 they don't need to go to arbitration but I don't know what happens the following year, another 6.5 qualifying offer? I also don't know what happens the following year if say the Avs win the arbitration and get the salary reduced to 85% of 6.5. Of course the easiest thing would be to sign ROR to a long term deal at any time, which can be any AAV, the 6.5 is irrelevant in that case and I hope he would possibly take 5.5 AAV on a long term deal.

Burnaby_Joe*

I'm not entirely confident in the ROR situation so please correct me if I'm wrong because I really would like to understand what the options with him are. My best understanding is this: Avs have to give him the 6.5 qualifying offer to retain his rights but they can take him to arbitration to have it lowered down to minimum 85% of that offer should the team win arbitration. I guess if the team is ok with paying the 6.5 they don't need to go to arbitration but I don't know what happens the following year, another 6.5 qualifying offer? I also don't know what happens the following year if say the Avs win the arbitration and get the salary reduced to 85% of 6.5. Of course the easiest thing would be to sign ROR to a long term deal at any time, which can be any AAV, the 6.5 is irrelevant in that case and I hope he would possibly take 5.5 AAV on a long term deal.

This is what I'm hoping, too. Can we re-sign him to a deal like this, or do we have to pay him 6.5 mill next season?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
PAP is playing more often his game, which makes him better. PAP has outscored Stastny two season's in a row, I don't think It's by accident. At the moment PAP is better player. Although I think It could change next season. Stastny has every chance to succeed with quality players. Now It's totally up to Stastny what he can do, no one can blame after this season not having enough quality wingers or whatever. Stastny has to produce.

Is it really so crazy to think Staz would put up 15-20 more assists getting to feed players of the caliber of Duchene or Tavares instead of David Jones or Hejduk's corpse?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hey! You just wait until we get Ovechkin and a prime Bure on his wings. He'll show you.

You're right, I guess we can afford it. I was wrong. I just don't agree with it though. Paying that much money to players and then moving them to a different position just because you think they could do well there. I'm still not sure about the O'Reilly experiment and if that fails, he would need to go back to center. So then just try Stastny on wing and hope that works? Why not use that money to get a natural winger instead?

Well good thing we have plenty of time between now and the deadline to get a feel for how O'Reilly or Staz are doing on Duchene's wing to answer that question.

And the answer to the question finish with is that we already have radar and Staz, we don't have a winger of their skill to give that money to. And without an extension and reminding people of what he can do with good finishers, Staz isn't going to return one.

The only way I could imagine doing what you suggest would be something like a radar for Eberle trade, but if we're trading radar shouldn't it be for an EJ partner?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Putting ROR in a top 6 role with better wingers seemed to work. Can't see why it can't work for Stastny.

Seriously. Staz produced at a 48 point pace last year in the role Radar couldn't break 30 in. And the year before Staz broke 50 playing with wingers on par with what Radar was only putting up 20-some points with. If we're going to completely ignore linemates and roles and just talk about production things can get really ugly for Ryan since his career year's just barely surpass's Staz's low points.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Is it really so crazy to think Staz would put up 15-20 more assists getting to feed players of the caliber of Duchene or Tavares instead of David Jones or Hejduk's corpse?

It's not crazy at all , as a matter a fact it's probably what would happend . Who's the last "caliber" player that he played with on a regular basis... Stewart ?
I know he played with Duchene and Lando at time but that wasnt regular ... let's call that the Sacco effect .

When he played with Mcping Stastny had some kind of chemistry with him , but McGinn couldnt finish most of his plays and it cost Stastny at least 5-10 points just by playing with Mcping .

I'm positive for this upcomming season, Statsny should have better players to play with and should be able to develop chemistry with them and at then finally have better numbers . Most important, he will have a caliber coach behind the bench, it will help Statsny and will also help the whole team .

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
I wish we would hold on to him, but I just don't see us keeping him around. He's great trade bait, a great reclamation project for anyone willing to take it on.

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
That's if we brought in two top four defenders for around 8mil combined. Re-signed Staz, ROR, Downie, Barrie, McGinn, Elliott and Varly for a combined 26 mil which is around a 6mil hike in where they are all at combined.

In reality, we add one top four defender and Siemens to the equation.

Let's speculate we add Tim Gleason for McGinn + Wilson, not even remotely a cap problem. We would still have room to add Klesla in UFA if we wanted.

You really think that adding two defenders for a combined 8 mil will make our defense even close to contender worthy?

Contracts are going up. Any defenseman even close to being above mediocre will command a higher salary than even 5 mil.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You really think that adding two defenders for a combined 8 mil will make our defense even close to contender worthy?

Contracts are going up. Any defenseman even close to being above mediocre will command a higher salary than even 5 mil.

Contenders? Pretty tough to say. Depends on the development of our youth really.

Gleason - EJ
Klesla - Barrie
Hejda - Elliott
Siemens

Would be a fairly strong defense imho.

NHL Fanatik*

Devils fan here. What would it take from NJ to acquire Stastny before FA next year, possibly a deadline trade?

Just speaking in terms of value. Don't know Colorado's needs, hence why I ask.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Devils fan here. What would it take from NJ to acquire Stastny before FA next year, possibly a deadline trade?

DEFENSE. We need DEFENSE. I do not know your roster very well so I can't name players but we need a partner for EJ

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Honestly, I'm not sure NJ has the assets to spare if the Avs aren't shopping him as a deadline rental. If at the deadline, maybe we could work something out around Greene+ if our defense is playing poorly enough. But I really don't see it happening.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

It's not crazy, but Staz has not meshed with Duchene, Landeskog, or PAP. They've played better without him. He played on the USA team with Parise and they didn't mesh. When does it become less of the wingers fault and more probably on Stastny? It's not like the Avs haven't tried finding him wingers.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It's not crazy, but Staz has not meshed with Duchene, Landeskog, or PAP. They've played better without him. He played on the USA team with Parise and they didn't mesh. When does it become less of the wingers fault and more probably on Stastny? It's not like the Avs haven't tried finding him wingers.

He played well with Parise, it was Kane he didn't mesh with understandably. He also played well with Duchy, Landeskog and PAP. Except each time they were removed from his line after a short while to help someone else.

Interestingly, if you analyze Staz and PAP's points, PAP scored off more Staz feeds than anyone else iirc.

It's not black magic, Staz has shown his skills with good players.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nope, stastny and parise weren't playing well together. Stastny in the end got moved off parise's line in favor of Kesler/pavelski

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
USA - Switzerland (the first game)

Parise (17:24) - Stastny (16:29) - Kane (18:22)
Malone (14:23) - Pavelski (13:45) - Kessel (11:43)
Langenbrunner (13:40) - Kesler (12:51) - Brown (13:27)
Callahan (10:02) - Backes (10:37) - Ryan (10:58)
Drury (9:55)

Suter (19:03) - Rafalski (18:18)
E.Johnson (19:23) - Whitney (12:23)
J. Johnson (16:56) - Orpik (15:44)
Gleason (13:18)

USA - Canada (the gold medal game)

Parise (17:55) - Stastny (17:52) - Langenbrunner (18:35)
Malone (10:50) - Pavelski (16:26) - Kessel (15:29)
Brown (18:45) - Kesler (20:37) - Kane (19:38)
Callahan (9:14) - Backes (8:24) - Ryan (8:53)
Drury (9:34)

Suter (31:31) - Rafalski (27:48)
E.Johnson (19:47) - Gleason (14:47)
J. Johnson (23:27) - Orpik (15:10)
Whitney (2:57)

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olympics-2010/statistics.html

Nope, stastny and parise weren't playing well together. Stastny in the end got moved off parise's line in favor of Kesler/pavelski

Four characters... grumble.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In the last game the supposed 3rd line played more than the first line. I remember when it mattered most Stastny was on the bench in favor of the other 2 centre's. Which lead me to criticize Wilson.

He was bad with parise but they weren't playing well enough.

Also I'm pretty sure the Johnsons played together. Kills me to see him having more oce time than orik and Gleason. Wth happened to that player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

With that forward core, EJ, Hejda and Barrie already on the seen and our prospects? Of course two 4 mil dmen could make us contenders soon, hell one 5m dman could be enough.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Didn't Staz and Landy play even less games together than Staz and Duchene? And when did Staz get to play with Parenteau?

The Avs got him Davey jones, and because Staz made jonesy look like an NHLer for a little bit they were all mission accomplished. Let's see what happens with Staz and Landy this year when they'll actually get a summer to develop chemistry and will get to practice between games during the season, and then when Tanguay and McGinn swap spots Staz will have two guys who compliment his style well.

Like many things with this team this season will answer a lot of these questions. But with Staz there's a lot of cause for optimism.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
In the last game the supposed 3rd line played more than the first line. I remember when it mattered most Stastny was on the bench in favor of the other 2 centre's. Which lead me to criticize Wilson.

He was bad with parise but they weren't playing well enough.

Also I'm pretty sure the Johnsons played together. Kills me to see him having more oce time than orik and Gleason. Wth happened to that player.

You watched a different Olympics than I did. I remember Parise and Stastny executing the cycle extremely well while Langenbrunner facilitated the middle of the ice. I also remember Stastny being far more effective with a legitimate breakout pass.

On the other hand, the Power Play was not Stastny's forte.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Didn't Staz and Landy play even less games together than Staz and Duchene? And when did Staz get to play with Parenteau?

The Avs got him Davey jones, and because Staz made jonesy look like an NHLer for a little bit they were all mission accomplished. Let's see what happens with Staz and Landy this year when they'll actually get a summer to develop chemistry and will get to practice between games during the season, and then when Tanguay and McGinn swap spots Staz will have two guys who compliment his style well.

Like many things with this team this season will answer a lot of these questions. But with Staz there's a lot of cause for optimism.

Isn't this the same post I've seen for the past 2 seasons though? Stastny will breakout this year - Stastny has better wings...when Stastny doesn't improve, those wingers that were with him sucked. Everyone thought Jones was so good when we resigned him. We thought Downie was going to be great. And McGinn was going to break out with Paul at his side...

Stastny does play with PAP. He's most likely been paired up with him plenty of times in practice. Apparently they don't mesh well enough to play together in a game.

The wingers around Paul always seem to regress, and although it's not 100% Paul's fault, if your forte in this league is going to be assists and defense, then you need to make the players around you better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Paul had McG scoring at a 30 goal pace that first year and set up for 6-7 shots that McGinn pinged off the posts before he got put on dutcjvy's line.

He made post-knee injury David jones look enough like an NHLer that the Avs gave him a 4 year 16 million dollar deal and another team trade for him just one year in. Staz has absolutely made the guys he's been given to work with more productive. Doesn't change the fact that the last good scorer Staz got to play with enough to form some chemistry with was Manbearpig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad